How did you get your best cruise fare?

gr82cu2

Did you book far in advance? Wait until the last minute? Book direct with the cruise line? Or use a travel agent? Did you have a specific cruise in mind or did you search for all cruises during a specific time period and pick one leaving from a port you could easily travel to?

it could go either way,,, sometimes you get a better rate booking in advance,, and sometimes the price drops closer to sailing date if no one is buying the rooms,, but the most ive seen is the prices going up closer to the sailing date, example on dec 9 we booked infinity 14 day hawaii cruise on celebrity, we paid 1199 per person for an inside,

now its 1539 per person inside, same room , same cate, etc...

what we usually do is decide where we want to go,, then narrow it down to when,, and then which cruiseline and then start searching, i always searach all the internet sites for traveling and compare prices, if they are the same as what the cruiseline directly is offering, i book with the cruiseline, but if not then i book with the cheapest,,,

hope this helps

Melissa

I have learned two things over the years....first, find yourself a reliable travel agent and second, if you like to book online, keep checking the prices. For example, while surfing the cruiseline website I found a 9-day Western Caribbean aft balcony for nearly $1,000 cheaper than the advertised price about three months prior to the sailing last August. Up until then the cabin wasn't listed as being available even through their own booking agents but I guess someone cancelled and I may have won the lottery.

As for travel agents, policy rightfully restricts recommendations on this board but you can find some very good agents using the companies that support this board.

Happy hunting! Isn't that part of the fun of cruising?

I got a great price for my cruise, but it was more dumb luck than anything else. I did not book through a travel agent, I found the rate directly on the RCCL website. I think a large factor in the price is the time you travel. If you are able to travel in the off season you'll get a very good deal no matter what route you go. Remember just because it's the off season doesn't mean the quality of service is any lower.

I receive emails from a number of TA's. A couple of years ago I recieved one and couldn't believe the price. The cruise was about 2 weeks out. We usually book suites and they are seldom available at this late date let alone discounted. I looked at the cruise line's web site and the cabins were available but 1600 more Per Person. I talked my husband into it and we booked the cruise.

This was a once in a life time deal that I doubt I will ever see again.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions and thoughts. We have a cruise booked on the Crown for June that I feel we got a good price on. Now I am looking for a cruise for late Feb, early March where I will need two staterooms as we are taking our 2 grown sons with us as a going away gift for the older son who is joining the Navy. It's getting complicated though because we have to work around work schedules for 3 of us, the cost of airfare and timing for 4 to a port and on and on.

For our upcoming Freedom cruise, we booked EARLY. Over a year and a half out and used a TA. We could have gotten the same pricing as booking through the cruise line, but I like my TA. :) The advantage with booking RCI (and perhaps some other lines) early is that if there is a price drop, you get that amount adjusted back to you. We had a specific ship in mind. We got a great deal on a ship that's less than a year old.

Hi Erin! I see you are from Martinsville. We live in Brownsburg. Obviously you like RCI, huh? I'm looking at a western caribbean itinerary with RCI on Radiance of the Seas. I had been avoiding leaving from Florida because it is so expensive to fly down there in Feb, March because of spring breaks but Air Tran has a special advertised in the Indy Star today. We can fly for $189 round trip per person which isn't bad. Now if I can just get everybody to agree to take time off work and go on March 4th it should work out.

Have fun on your upcoming cruise in 4 days! :D

When comparing prices of cruises, make sure you include the following costs:

- Cruise

- Gratuities

- Flights

- Transportation to/from airport to cruise port

Use websites like Travelocity, Kayak, Southwest, and Google Maps to plan out the total cost of the cruises you are considering and then either book online or print out the pages and bring them in to a TA and they'll match the prices.

Someone please remind me what the "rule" is about publishing the price of a cruise.

Didn't I read somewhere that a TA can not advertise a rate cheaper than the cruise line??? If that is true, does that just apply to TA or does that also apply to online cruise agents??

Thanks!!!

To get my great cruise rate, first I did my research on line before I booked - which I did well in advance of my sailing date. I noticed a few sailings where the prices dipped (after spring break but before summer), so decided on one of those sailings.

I then called around a couple of different TA's to get quotes for those sailing dates. I got a great price through a TA who I obviously can't mention on here, who even managed to beat out one of the big on-line agencies who I thought had given me a good rate quote.

I have since been reading up here on CC regularly. Every time someone posted about a sale for my cruise line, or promotional codes or anything else, I have e-mailed that information to my TA, who has used that information to get us further discounts and a really good upgrade!

The base fare that we are paying for the three of us on this sailing for the category that we are in is $837 LESS than if we booked the cruise now.:D Doing my homework and planning ahead has definitely paid off for us!

This applies to all agents, online or off. But this is a rule created by cruise lines, such as Celebrity and RCCL. (I don't know if other lines do this.)

In order to compete, a TA might give you free travel insurance, a gift in your stateroom, onboard credit, a VISA gift card, etc. This won't affect the price of the cruise.

Sometimes one TA may have a lower (unadvertised?) fare than another TA. I am not sure how they do that, but I'm sure they are following the cruise line rules. I suppose it's possible that a cruise line may give a one-day special price to a certain TA.

Someone please remind me what the "rule" is about publishing the price of a cruise.

Didn't I read somewhere that a TA can not advertise a rate cheaper than the cruise line??? If that is true, does that just apply to TA or does that also apply to online cruise agents??

Thanks!!!

This applies to all agents, online or off. But this is a rule created by cruise lines, such as Celebrity and RCCL. (I don't know if other lines do this.)

In order to compete, a TA might give you free travel insurance, a gift in your stateroom, onboard credit, a VISA gift card, etc. This won't affect the price of the cruise.

Sometimes one TA may have a lower (unadvertised?) fare than another TA. I am not sure how they do that, but I'm sure they are following the cruise line rules. I suppose it's possible that a cruise line may give a one-day special price to a certain TA.

Thanks so much. So I should be able to take any "advertised" price and feel confident that my PVP's price should be the same.

Thanks so much. So I should be able to take any "advertised" price and feel confident that my PVP's price should be the same.

Yes, I believe that this is true. As long as you are comparing the same sailing date, same catagory of cabin, etc... sometimes written in very small print.

We have seen some things advertised and when we have called on it, the agent has said that that there were only a few cabins at that rate or this is cruise only, other charges are additional.

We always book early (about a year in advance if we see a great price) with a TA. Our TA will guarantee the best price and will lower it if the price goes down. Last year we lowered 2 times before we made our final payment. I check the prices and he does as well.

On this year's booking, the price we paid is lower by more than 1000.00. (I checked the pricing this week and the TA did as well).

Good Luck.

I first do some research and narrow it down. Then go to Cruise Compete and enter ship(s) and date(s) wanted. within several hours I receive a response from several travel agents with GREAT prices, agency information and ratings. I have consistently used the same agent and have had no problems.

i check every thing i can on the prices, find the cheaper one and then go to the TA i use and see if she can price match. she always has for me to book through her. i like the local TA's because you can pay the rest after the deposit any way you want to as long as you have it paid buy, i think it's 90 days prior the cruise,

Archived