Houston Lodging and Transfer Tips

Cruising_Tim

Hi!

My party of 7 will be cruising out of Houston this spring. We are flying into IAH the day before and need lodging and transfers to pier...plus transfers back to IAH on day of return. Can anyone suggest the best plan for a room and a ride to/from the pier? We're willing to stay in Houston or closer to the ship if there is a reasonably nice motel/hotel.

Thanks!

Try www.Galveston.com for info on that area and transportation. Also use the "search this thread" button in the blue strip on the top of this thread to bring up lots of "converstions" about both transportation and lodging. There is lodging in all price ranges available at IAH, within central Houston, in my area (Clear Lake near Johnson Space Center and approximately mid-way between Houston and Galveston), in several small towns along Interstate 45 between Houston and Galveston (League City, Texas City, etc.) and in Galveston.

The airport you are using IAH/Bush is located north of downtown Houston and is approximately a 1.5 hour drive north of the Port of Galveston. Depending on how you - or someone in your group - feels about big city driving, you could use a shuttle service to Galveston or rent a car/van. Someone on an earlier thread here told of getting a very good deal on a large van when coming in with a larger group. Hopefully, a search of the thread will bring up that information for you.

Since you say you are arriving in the spring, you might want to also be aware that Galveston gets LOTS of visitors over the school spring break weeks and at Easter. Might want to check to see if your stay is during one of those time periods. There may be some information about dates on the galveston.com website.

Thanks Clearlake...but my family is departing out of the NCL port in Houston (not Galveston). Is there much of a difference in travel time? Do you know if Bayport-area is a good place for a family of 7 (3 generations) to stay, or should I opt for IAH area?

I have no problem at all with city driving (I live just outside New York City), so I can go either way with transfers, but would prefer to get someone to drive me back and forth.

I appreciate your feedback!

Tim

Hey Tim,

Cruisin NCL Dream in February. We are staying in LaPorte at the Comfort Suites. It has come highly recommended on these boards. We arranged transportation with Black Tie Limo. They have a 14 person van that will be taking 10 of us. Hope this helps.

Rob

NCL Dream 2/07

Disney Magic 2/04

Disney Magic 2/03

Didn't realize you were going out of the Port of Houston. That cruise port, as the previous posted indicated, is located near LaPorte, a small town on Galveston Bay just south of the port facility. There are several chain motels in that area but few restaurants or activities in the immediate area. It is however, within 15 minutes of the Clear Lake area which surrounds NASA/Johnson Space Center and and is just north of the Kemah Boardwalk and one of the largest collections of marinas in the US. If people in your group are interested in space, then Space Center Houston http://www.spacecenter.org would be something they would enjoy. If anyone likes shopping there is a large mall (Baybrook Mall) in the Clear Lake area at I-45 and Bay Area Blvd. There are also a lot of restaurants in that area. Kemah Boardwalk is part restaurants, part carnival and part small touristy shops http://www.kemahboardwalk.com which the younger generation would probably enjoy. Houston, with all of its attractions including great museums including a children's museum and the Museum of Natural Science, sport venues, zoo, etc., is about 30 minutes north and Galveston, which has Moody Gardens http://www.moodygardens.com, the Schlitterbahn water park www.schlitterbahn.com and, shopping on the Strand and of course, the beach, is about 30 minutes to the south

Lots of people report using Enterprise for car rentals and a car would be quite useful, as we are Texas with lots of space and everything does get spread out with very little public transportation except a good Park and Ride commuter system.

Need any more info?

Clearlakecruiser has given you some excellent input. Staying in the Clear Lake area is very convenient for a precruise stay for either port of Houston or Port of Galveston departures. Houston is a sprawling city. There are very few areas where one can have access to attractions/restaurants/clubs without benefit of a car. This is especially so in regard to the cruise terminals. Bayport is a working freight terminal.

If you do not want to rent a car you will be taking taxi's from the airport to your hotel and from the hotel to the pier. You might want to consider staying in downtown Houston. Depending on when you sail in the spring you may find events from theater to a ballgame within a short walk. You will also find a good selection of restaurants to choose from.

If you have any particular interests, please let us know. The locals will be happy to oblige.

There is also a brand new Holiday Inn Express in LaPorte. It is just down from the Comfort Suites. Las Hadas(sp?) on Fairmont and El Ranchero's on Main Street are great Mexican places if you like Mexican food.

Archived