What did you do in Corfu?

I have the major ports down, but I haven't even looked into what we should do in Corfu. Any suggestions? I thought of renting a car and driving around the island, but I'm not sure if Corfu is more like Athens or Santorini?

Thanks for all your suggestions!

[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800080&cdt=2005;7;11;17;00;00&timezone=GMT+0100[/img]
Till the Brilliance!

R1 7/2000
Sensation 5/2001
Imagination 8/2002
Veendam 3/2003
Sovereign 4/2004
Brilliance 7/2005

We'd been there before on our honeymoon back in 1981 and rened a car and drove around, etc...but this last trip, being a cruis, we had a little less time, but a better idea of what we wanted to do...

We took the half day tour in the morning that went to the Achilleion Palace (very much worth visiting and hard to do on your own)...This tour gives you a nice look at the island beyond the capital city and isn't overly expensive...

After the tour, we went to lunch at one of our favorite spots from our honeymoon: "Pizza Pete's"...Yeah, that's the name, believe it or not...there is also a restaurant with a Greek name adjacent to it...but it's actually the same restaurant...the food comes from the same kitchen, the staff is the same...I think they just do it as a marketing thing...Anyway, the restaurant dits on the cliffs just south of the harbor area (not the cruise ship dock--the main harbor in town)...the tables are on a covered terrace (the kitchen is across the street on the inland side)...Get a table right at the rail...You can look straight down into the blue waters of the Adriatic and the fish put on quite a show...especially when the waiters throw leftover bread overboard...

After lunch, explore the old fortresses that flank the old town and walk the shopping areas of the old town...it's quite charming and the shopping is good...

BTW, it's nothing like Santorini OR Athens...Athens is big and congested and urban with a lot of ancient stuff...Santorini is prehistoric with stuff to see spread across the island...Corfu is more lush than Santorini, a little less visually striking, but a lot of fun...
Enjoy...

Summit, July 3, 2004: Alaska: 13 night cruisetour
Constellation, July 16, 2005: Northern Europe: 14 nights

Thanks, Steve that itinerary sounds perfect. I really enjoy finding good food while in port and Pizza Pete's (love the name [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]) sounds great.

[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800080&cdt=2005;7;11;17;00;00&timezone=GMT+0100[/img]
Till the Brilliance!

R1 7/2000
Sensation 5/2001
Imagination 8/2002
Veendam 3/2003
Sovereign 4/2004
Brilliance 7/2005

Archived