Straights attending FOD meetings

derf5585

Apropos of nothing: I liked when they said about Doris Day that "I knew her BEFORE she was a virgin" Apparently notorious until she started playing all those virginal roles...:rolleyes:

/QUOTE]

If a person is exclusively gay or lesbian are they still virgins?

• 2 weeks later...
When we told them we were going to an FOD meeting, they wanted to know all about it. They were curious about the name and when we told them how it all started, their response was 'COOL! Can we come?'. The 2 of them were invited as honorary Totos. We still keep in touch with them.

I have had to explain to many what an FOD meeting was/is (as well as a Bill W meeting)....and I have never heard that term....

LOVE IT...and can't wait to find some Toto's on next cruise in Hawaii at the end of April...(not the Atlantis cruise, but a regular one)

Baddog

aka Craig

>of America

It seems my post my be late but after reading 19 pages of comments I wanted to say how I feel about the FOD meetings. I am straight. I was raised in a lesbian household. I go to the lesbian bars with my mom and her partner as do my brothers. G/L/B/T are titles to some people, life styles of others, but it is what has defined my live and molded me into the loving and accepting woman I am today. I will be attending a FOD meeting/ get together on my next cruise. And when my husband finishes law school look for us in the local G/L/B/T phone book because we will be listed and we will be willing to fight for any cause or rights that has been denied to someone because they are gay. I hope I did not offend anyone. Hope you all have a great cruise. We will be sailing carnival Triumph on 7/14/07 Hope to see some of you there.

[i will be attending a FOD meeting/ get together on my next cruise. And when my husband finishes law school look for us in the local G/L/B/T phone book

Is your husband going with you to the FOD meeting?

For those of you who want a gay only meeting maybe someone needs to come up with a bit more 'exclusive' group name to use on an invite, something that makes it very obvious what group the invite is aimed at, without being rude of course - friends of ? :D

I am just a bit curious..if there was a straights only meeting, wouldn't that be considered discriminatory??

I 'm not trying to be smart, just wondering:confused:

I am just a bit curious..if there was a straights only meeting, wouldn't that be considered discriminatory??

I guess it would be something along the lines of a "National Association Of White People"

a straights only meeting ????Any where in the world on any given day wherever your standing :D .

Tinlizzy

yes some of us totos like coming to the meetings . Seems like the people there tend to be a litte more open minded and fun? I unfortunately was raised by a good ol boy and have since been trying to unscrew my mind for the past 20yrs. My wife and I now take in theatre and classical music and collect art. I feel that if i had been raised by more open accepting parents i would have turned out a lot different in my life. Oh well my pity parties over hope to meet some of you out the on the sea someday.

Jeff

seemed somewhere in this post there was a little negativity toward carnival posting FOD meetings. We just returned off the Miracle a couple of weeks ago and they had 2 meetings posted in the caper. Maybe some ships are changing?

Seadancer - please re-read the thread. I am straight and entered the thread halfway wanting to know what FOD meant, then why it wasn't just called the Gay/Lesbian meeting in the dailies.

I could give a hoot who attends the meetings. But to summerize the thread and get you up to speed, the feelings of gay/lesbian cruisers who posted on the subject of straights attending FOD meetings was mixed. Some felt is was okay (invited their mother or straights they met) and some felt it was an intrusion of sorts - voyeuristic.

No negativity in this thread so far.

Liz

Well, FOD doesn't exclude straight people - hence this thread.

There are plenty of affinity groups that meet onboard. The Red Hat Society, for example. Does that group "discriminate" against men? And why hasn't anybody started an "Are Men Welcome at Red Hat Ladies Meetings?" thread? There was a meeting of WWII vets onboard my sailing of the Dawn Princess. Was that "discriminatory" against nonvets?

Then, too, there are the uses of "discrimination," which often have to do with power and/or tolerance for diversity. The Mormon Church, for instance, opposes gay kids being Boy Scouts. I'm utterly unaware of any gay groups that seek to keep Mormons out of scouts. But if there were a support group for gay scouts and Mormon missionaries showed up, Books of Mormon in hand, to convert the kids, would it be "discriminatory" to ask them to leave?

There's also history to deal with. To choose a somewhat extreme example: If a Jewish group, for instance, sought to exclude neo-****s, would that be the precise obverse of neofascist groups excluding Jews? I've heard straight folks say, "Why isn't there a Straight Pride Day?" Well, folks, every day is Straight Pride Day. It's just that many hets don't notice it.

One of the things that feminism taught me was that in a male-dominated society, men are acculturated to believe they're entitled to go any damn place they want to. But hey, if the Red Hat Ladies want to have women-only meetings, I'll try not to sulk.

I'm just hoping that the straight folks who want to come to FOD meetings are also working to end "Don't Ask, Don't Tell." Now that's discriminatory.

Hey Shepp- I missed you!

I was on the Carnival Legend week before last. Ugly, ugly ship IMHO. I noticed one FOD meeting listed in the daily and many gay/lesbian couples.

I would agree that we have everywhere & everyday to socialize and FOD like other groups is more of a peer meeting and straights may be welcome but should not attend unless personally invited.

Archived