New Zealand Excursions with Toddler (20 months)

tfaz

Help! This is my first cruise and first time flying to the other side of the world, let alone with a toddler. Any advice about the excursions with a toddler? My husband and I are pretty active and like hiking & some adventures. What about practical things like do I bring a car seat? Any advice would be welcome.

Help! This is my first cruise and first time flying to the other side of the world, let alone with a toddler. Any advice about the excursions with a toddler? My husband and I are pretty active and like hiking & some adventures. What about practical things like do I bring a car seat? Any advice would be welcome.

Most good tour companies offer at least a booster seat, though for a youngster it would be best to have your own baby seat [for your peace of mind]. Note that not all tour coaches in NZ have seat belts so again its best to check in adavance. Our vehicles all have seats belts [well not the classic and vintaghe cars such as 1928 Oldsmobile and our 1950's daimler].

Most of the touristy things will be fine for you to bring the baby along on, not things like jet boating or bugy though. We can help with port of call info for all your NZ and most of the Aussie ports, then you can look for a suitable small priovate company that can accommodate you. Other option would be to book a hire car and self drive if you want a real DIY tour, again i can advise on destinatiosn etc, the main car hire companies can usually provide baby seats. Regards ian [Tauranga]

Please avoid the DYI touring temptation

In NZ and Aust we drive on the correct side of the road (left)

Whilst it may seem OK to think that you can adapt...it does take a while... and I can tell you that your first encounter with a roundabout would be quite an experience ...if not an expensive one.

Hire car coys charge BIG bucks for damage (eg $2000) and whilst you sometimes buy insurance for tjis it not always adequate and not always cheap.

Best option in my view is to engage a local tour coy (eg Mount Classics) who can do it right for you without hassells.

My experience travelling with a 20 month toddler is that it can be fun,,, just make the tour operator know and you will have no problems.

Aust and NZ are very tourist orientated and you should feel very comfortable with the services available.

cheers

Please avoid the DYI touring temptation

In NZ and Aust we drive on the correct side of the road (left)

Whilst it may seem OK to think that you can adapt...it does take a while... and I can tell you that your first encounter with a roundabout would be quite an experience ...if not an expensive one.

Hire car coys charge BIG bucks for damage (eg $2000) and whilst you sometimes buy insurance for tjis it not always adequate and not always cheap.

Best option in my view is to engage a local tour coy (eg Mount Classics) who can do it right for you without hassells.

My experience travelling with a 20 month toddler is that it can be fun,,, just make the tour operator know and you will have no problems.

Aust and NZ are very tourist orientated and you should feel very comfortable with the services available.

cheers

Thanks Flipper, Ian [Tauranga] PS. we have lined them up with one of our lady drivers. Good bit of fun over wine on that other thread, still i dont think you can beat a pint of Irish Guiness!!!!!!!

Archived