Switching cabin names on a ship?

Trixieone

Happy New Year..we have 2 cbns booked on Carnival. One couple is a senior and the rate was better so the agent told us to split the names (one senior in each cabin) and then change back to the correct names once onboard. Has anyone ever done this? is it difficult to do? thank you as we are feeling a little unsettled about this due to the added security these days!

Happy New Year..we have 2 cbns booked on Carnival. One couple is a senior and the rate was better so the agent told us to split the names (one senior in each cabin) and then change back to the correct names once onboard. Has anyone ever done this? is it difficult to do? thank you as we are feeling a little unsettled about this due to the added security these days!
People do it all the time.......we've split up and spread out out past guest and Military rate. Another reason is people with older kids, but not old enough to officialy be booked on their own. Just go to the desk and have things changed.....remember the line might be long the first day, so try to stick it out a few hours.......I'd rather be drinking a foo-foo in the sun than standing in line trying to make it so I have to sleep with my wife........

....kidding of course!!

My aunt is sailing in September and did the gymnastics to get full cabin credit in both cabins, even though the companions are not entitled.

I have a couple of thoughts on this:

1. As a solo paying double, I don't get 2 "past cruiser" credits, even though I am paying for 2 pax (less taxes of $44), so I don't think this is fair to others.

2. Considering her companions are my mom's ex-husband and his new wife (that he cheated on mom with), I don't want them getting ANYTHING they are not rightfully entitled to. It's bad enough they are all sailing together and while we found out quite by accident, it is deplorable that my mom's sister is doing this and then lied to mom about it. Knowing they might be given extras due to FURTHER dishonesty and deception really angers me.

3. For the more "legit" folks, just make sure that all S&S cards and the manifest is correct. In an emergency, people could be mis-identified, causing a world of chaos.

Still, I think it's kind of unethical to skirt the rules that are in place for monetary compensation, adult/child issues, etc. There are reasons they want/need to have a responsible adult in every cabin. And taking a cabin credit not deserved when others get the shaft is just plain wrong.

Craig, when you post your post count changes in all of your posts...so if you've posted twice in the same thread your post count will be listed the same on each post. Make sense?
I know that......it was quite some time after I responded that the original thread was showing 0 responses.......when I put in my second comment, it then jumped to 2 responses. The board was acting up.

Thanks for posting this question. We are planning to go on a cruise with another couple who has never cruise before. If we have the opportunity to get a past guest discount, I was thinking about booking my husband in one room and myself in the other. Did your PVP recommend it or was it a travel agent? I would feel more comfortable if a PVP said it was common practice. I don't want to break the rules to save a buck but if it's OK with Carnival why not?

The easiest solution I've found is just to get an extra key for the rooms and swap those. That was you don't have to mess with or rearrange the credit account ... just use the extra key to get into the room and the original key to pay for things and leave the ship.

I found out when I booked our latest cruise (we leave next Saturday!!!!!) that the past guest rate can be applied to others in your party without anyone in their room having to be a past guest. It's "Friends and Family" or something. Out of 4 of us (2 couples), I am the only past guest. We booked 2 cabins and all got the past guest rate. I don't know if that applies to the military or senior's rate.

By the way, my mother is coming on the same crusie and she asked for the senior's discount but was told the past guest special she had was better.

The last time I cruised, we had a group of 10 and only 4 past guests so we made shure each cabin had a past guest to get the good rate (didn't know about Friends and Family then). It was absolutely no problem to have the rooms changed when we got on board. Everyone had to be present. When we tried the first time, the pursers desk was really busy so they just told us to come back later. In the meantime, we just switched cards so we could all get in the rooms. You don't want to just switch cards for the whole trip because you give a credit card when you get your S&S card.

Thanks for posting this question. We are planning to go on a cruise with another couple who has never cruise before. If we have the opportunity to get a past guest discount, I was thinking about booking my husband in one room and myself in the other. Did your PVP recommend it or was it a travel agent? I would feel more comfortable if a PVP said it was common practice. I don't want to break the rules to save a buck but if it's OK with Carnival why not?

If it were OK with CCL, it wouldn't be called a "PAST GUEST" credit. It would be called an "EVERYONE" credit. My PVP finds it to be dishonest and not recommended. Take the credit on your NEXT sailing, when you truly are a Past Guest.

This is what my Aunt is doing and I find it wrong since singles don't get double credit when they PAY double, even when they are past guests.

If it were OK with CCL, it wouldn't be called a "PAST GUEST" credit. It would be called an "EVERYONE" credit. My PVP finds it to be dishonest and not recommended. Take the credit on your NEXT sailing, when you truly are a Past Guest.

This is what my Aunt is doing and I find it wrong since singles don't get double credit when they PAY double, even when they are past guests.

You make a good point. HOWEVER as long as the staff on the ship allows the changes not much can be done.

You make a good point. HOWEVER as long as the staff on the ship allows the changes not much can be done.

True, but it doesn't make it fair or right. Once CCL loses enough money on this little scheme, the past guest credits will stop for all of us.

In our recent case, a Carnival PVP suggested that we put me in a cabin with my DSIL and her daughter and put a niece in a cabin with my husband since we are both past cruisers. This saved our family of 9 almost $900 on our Christmas cruise. If Carnival were losing money I don't think they would recommend it. In the end we spend an additional $2000 on tours and gifts and drinks so they made their money on the other end.

I say if the agent or PVP recommends it then go ahead.

When we boarded my niece and I went to the purser that day when the line was short and he changed our room/s&s cards with a couple of keystrokes on his computer.

In our recent case, a Carnival PVP suggested that we put me in a cabin with my DSIL and her daughter and put a niece in a cabin with my husband since we are both past cruisers. This saved our family of 9 almost $900 on our Christmas cruise. If Carnival were losing money I don't think they would recommend it. In the end we spend an additional $2000 on tours and gifts and drinks so they made their money on the other end.

I say if the agent or PVP recommends it then go ahead.

When we boarded my niece and I went to the purser that day when the line was short and he changed our room/s&s cards with a couple of keystrokes on his computer.

Thanks for the info. We are going on an older ship so the room key will probably be separate from the S&S card. We will all be on the same S&S account so no changes there. I would think that it would be important for Carnival to know who is sleeping in which rooms for emergency/security purposes. Otherwise, we wouldn't need to visit the purser's desk at all.

Archived