Coast Guard rescues teen after fall from cruise ship mast

OhioJeff

Yup, I'm a member of the "Did stupid things as a kid" club, too. However, even a child of FIVE can understand that if it is clearly not a publicy accessed place, you don't go there.

If this is where antenna's and such are, I wonder if he could have done some serious damage to communications, or other fancy ship-running equipment (loses balance, grabs a pole up there, breaks it with his weight as he falls, and suddenly the ship doesn't have a satellite feed)?

When I was a kid, this kind of stuff (and the stuff others mention) would never in a million years even occur to us. Is this a matter of topping the "Jones's" who did something just a little LESS stupid and needs to be outdone?

I hope the pain and suffering of recovery is enough to teach this kid and all his friends that these kind of antics just aren't worth it. LUCKILY, recovery seems to be a given. Could have been so much worse!

There has been some stuff published lately about brain development. Apparently, the areas of the brain that control judgement are not fully formed until we are in our mid-twenties! It's a wonder any of us survived to reach 30. . . .

Teenagers are not the brightest bulbs in the pack!!! We have 8 kids and I thank god we have only 2 teenagers left!!! That is not to say that they stop doing stupid things just because they turn 20 LOL!!!

Boys love to show off and take dares and climb trees and apprently "masts"!! I am sure he had no idea that he would cause such a ruffel just 20 feet in the air. I feel badly for his family and pray that he has a full recovery and I also pray that the parents have sense enough NOT to sue Carnival for their son's stupid actions!!! Just because they can sue doesn't mean they should!!

This world is such a sue happy society.........really aggrivates me! I was hit from the back severl years ago from a brand new driver.........I did NOT sue , it really was an accident and I recovered and the car was fixed, why ruin his and his parents lives. I feel that good deed will come back to me someday.....I hope so!

We are going on a cruise on Jan 25th with 3 of our daughters, I will be sure to tell them about this dumb choice!!

I bet the parents blame Carnival for their teens stupid behavior. How much do you want to bet they sue Carnival.

That was my first thought too. I bet CCL will settle with them just because but I hope they vow to fight any lawsuit. If I was a judge, I'd laugh them out of the courtroom.

Unbelievable!!

That was my first thought too. I bet CCL will settle with them just because but I hope they vow to fight any lawsuit. If I was a judge, I'd laugh them out of the courtroom.

Unbelievable!!

Why would CCL settle in the first place?? Sure it would cost them some attorney fees, but in the end not as much as a settlement.

Any lawyer that would take a case like this isn't one that I'd want working for me.

Gee.... what makes me think alcohol was involved.....:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

As someone who has survived raising two boys to adulthood and who works with children five days a week I can tell you they don't even need alcohol to do something that stupid. I can't tell you how many times I've asked the question "What were you thinking?" At that age they think they are invincible and rarely stop to think about the consequences of their actions. "It seemed like a good idea at the time" is a frequent response.

Swear, I don't know how males live to be 30. Every time I see someone getting seriously hurt doing some crazy stunt, it's invariably a guy between 16 and 25. I'm praying to God that my young teen "stepsons" have more sense in their heads...

Testosterone poisoning...

I'm sure he just thought it would be "cool". As others have pointed out, eighteen year old males aren't famous for thinking through the ramifications of their actions.

Paul Noble

I was just watching a segment on the news about ghost driving. Apparently kids in California are jumping out of the driver's seat of a moving car, jumping on the hood, and filming themselves dancing while the car moves without a driver.

I saw that too! Amazing what overpriviledged kids with time and money on their hands will do to amuse themselves... Bring back stick shifts and this won't be possible!! Police have the kids picture and proof of recless driving - think the'll find him and prosecute???

Who can understand what motivates a teenager to do some of the things they do?

Oh, come on - we were all teens once and we ALL did stuff that our parents would have lectured us on our stupidity if they found out.... Climb the town water tower, race across the train tracks, drive too fast, Chinese fire drills....

The biggest differences now are that kids have waaaay more unsupervised time from parents who are more worried about being their kid's buddy instead of their parent, they have more money (come on, he's got a car & video camera to film his stunts!), and the internet/tv has provide a great way to get "15 mins. of fame" really easily...

IFIC from my last cruise, there is a chain and sign saying authorized personnel only (although I'm so used to ignoring the signs like that where I work [i am authorized personnel], I don't even really register the signs anymore...)

Archived