How difficult to get to Venice from Rome?

I'm getting ready to book air for an October cruise. I'd love to use my miles, but AA is sold out on route to Venice. How difficult would it be to get to Venice from Rome via train or air?

The issue is that cruise leaves from Venice and returns to Barcelona.

I'd love to save the $1400 on air. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Can't say how easy it would be to get from Rome to Venice, but what i've seen done is fly in to Frankfurt and then on to Venice.

Hope that might help a bit... i know its not quite the Rome-Venice thing you were asking about, but maybe a legit alternative for ya.

How difficult would it be to get to Venice from Rome via train or air?
About an hour by non-stop flight, about 4½ hours by direct train.

You will, of course, need to factor luggage issues into your decision. If you're not a light traveller, you could end up paying quite a lot of excess baggage charges if you fly.

Have you checked the italian railways website?

http://www.trenitalia.com

That's the italian verson. Look for the 'English' button in the top r/hand corner, click it, and you've got an english-language version.

But it looks as if there are certainly trains from Roma Termini to Venice, taking about four and a half hours.

We've gone by train from Venice to Rome (and reverse) several times, and I like going that route. You may be able to find some really cheap flights using http://www.flycheapo.com, but be aware of the luggage restrictions for low-cost carriers in Europe--you may be charged for luggage overages and may not (we've flown dozens of the cheap flights and were only charged for luggage overage once)--and I would advise a time cushion in case your flight from the U.S. is late. You might find that the train would be more relaxing like we do, so good luck with finding the best option for you.

Donna

Very easy to get to Venice from Rome by train.You will have to come into Rome from the airport and catch the ES train to Venice at the Termini, and I would suggest first class travel.There is room at the end of the car for luggage(use a wire lock to hold it together) and racks overhead for smaller pieces. it is a really nice way to travel if you want to take the the time.You can book reservations on line or with a TA.Do a search on this board as there is a lot of info re train travel on it from Rome to Venice.If it is easier for you to fly thenm you can book flight from airport to Venice close to your arrival.

Home Page - Trenitalia

We are planning to take the train from Rome to Venice after our Carnival Freedom cruise 9/07. What do you mean by wire lock for luggage? Also, does anyone know some inexpensive hotels that are not dumps? We'd like to stay a week for less than $200/night. Possible? Which areas should we avoid?

Thanks!

We are planning to take the train from Rome to Venice after our Carnival Freedom cruise 9/07. What do you mean by wire lock for luggage? Also, does anyone know some inexpensive hotels that are not dumps? We'd like to stay a week for less than $200/night. Possible? Which areas should we avoid?

Thanks!

A wire lock that you can slip through luggage handles that has a combination lock on it or key and then slip that around the luggage rack.Just makes it easier if your seat is not near the end of the car so you don't have to get up and check to see if still there which many people do.Shouldn't be a problem if you don't,but it pays to be careful IMHO.You can get them thru Magellans.com.

Can't help you with an inexpensive hotel in Venice as Venice as is very $$$$ especially if you stay on the main island.I would suggest renting for a week rather than a hotel. I am posting 2 links that may be of help in finding hotels or places to rent.Good luck.

Slow Travel - Vacation rentals, villas, reviews, travel information for Europe

Hotels, hotel reservations, from luxury to cheap hotels - venere

Thanks for the tip on the luggage wire locks and the vacation rentals. I'm also a little concerned about getting our luggage around Venice to the hotel/rental we choose. Is it easy to get them on and off of the water taxis? I don't know if my feet and back will allow hubby and I to haul large suitcases from the train station, over bridges, to other zones. Any suggestions? I was looking in Cannaregio Ovest last night on Venere.com.

I'm very excited about this trip. Even though our cruise stops in Venice, being a photographer, I can't do Venice justice with such a short stop. So we've decided to add extra time in Venice instead of Rome. I think the Venice photos will sell better -- more magic.

I agree take the train to Rome, we travel every year with a Europass and have gone from Venice to Rome several times. Opt for 1st class and you will really enjoy it, you will hate to get back on a plane.

We took the bullet train from Paris to Nice a few years ago and booked first class. It was great! We're really looking forward to this trip. I'll have to figure out all the details of getting from the ship to the train in Rome, or hotel to train. I've read a lot of posts and still have time for those details. We haven't decided if we'll stay extra days in Rome yet.

Thanks for the tip on the luggage wire locks and the vacation rentals. I'm also a little concerned about getting our luggage around Venice to the hotel/rental we choose. Is it easy to get them on and off of the water taxis? I don't know if my feet and back will allow hubby and I to haul large suitcases from the train station, over bridges, to other zones. Any suggestions? I was looking in Cannaregio Ovest last night on Venere.com.

I'm very excited about this trip. Even though our cruise stops in Venice, being a photographer, I can't do Venice justice with such a short stop. So we've decided to add extra time in Venice instead of Rome. I think the Venice photos will sell better -- more magic.

If you do take the train you will get off at the last stop,and from there you can get a water taxi or land taxi depending on where you decide to stay.If you use a water taxi make sure to ask where you are staying if they have their own dock,and will there be help with the luggage.If you rent you may a walk,but a lot of places have their own dock so that is why it is important to ask.They will all tell you the easiest way to go.The water taxi will cost you more than using the public water bus,but will be worth it in the end with luggage.

As for picture taking...Venice has has many many pictures take,but do realize that Rome has some hidden treasures re pictures...some of my best have been from Rome.Just my thought...:D

We took the bullet train from Paris to Nice a few years ago and booked first class. It was great! We're really looking forward to this trip. I'll have to figure out all the details of getting from the ship to the train in Rome, or hotel to train. I've read a lot of posts and still have time for those details. We haven't decided if we'll stay extra days in Rome yet.

Here are some links for getting to Rome from the port whether you go to hotel or train station..you can email them and it will beat taking the train into Rome even if it costs more.If you do stay in a hotel you can then just cab it over to the train station.

Rome Taxi Shuttle Limousine, first class car service in Rome

ABOUT US

Rome Airport Shuttle Discount Shuttle Rome Airports

-

Why not consider Ryan Air - they seem to have the cheapest flights in Europe they fly Rome to Venice. They have web fares as cheap as 10 Euros:

http://www.bookryanair.com/skylights/cgi-bin/skylights.cgi

I think since it is such a short distance between Venice and Rome and a beautiful jouney at that they will save time on the train verses flying on Ryan Air. The two hours in advance at the airport and the time to travel to the airports will take longer than the train to Rome or Venice. Plus the extra baggage surcharges are very high unless they are packing very light. Not to mention the little seats. We use Ryan Air and/or Easy Jet often but it has to be a long distance to make it worth while and we travel very light so it is easier.

Archived