Cingular cell phones beware!

But you see, it comes right back to the fact that everyone knows (don't they?) that Puerto Rico and St. Thomas are both a part of the United States of America and roaming or international charges do not apply from these places. And that is the point of origination of the OP's problem with her son's phone call.

Most teenagers, except the very few that are mature beyond their years, are not going to check the cell phone rates from Puerto Rico when they turn on the phone and it isn't roaming.

I still believe that this new service on board is a little confusing since a phone should not be working for international calls unless it has been intentionally unlocked with a call to the service provider.

That depends on the specific cell phone plan. Our current nationwide plan covers calls made in the USVI and Puerto Rico, but not all do.

But the bottom line is that it is our responsibility to know what our plans cover and whether there are charges or fees for using a cell phone onboard.

beachchick

I use my cell every time I go on a ship when I am not traveling with my husband. My hubby is terminally ill and I call his nurse to see how he is doing. I speak for a minute or so (in the privacy of my cabin, I might add) every time we pull into port. I have never had charges that exceed 15 dollars! I have Cingular. But then I bought my phone for emergencies, I have better things to do than chat away on a cell phone. Your son may have learned a vital lesson. Let's hope so.

Rev

After reading the past 135 posts, I'm glad I have Verizon because it can't be used at sea. No $600 phone bill for me! :)

As for the OP, it is both you and your kids responsibilty to look up the rates BEFORE you leave the continental U.S. to look up the rates. Cingular is in business to make money and didn't spend millions of dollars to add cellular service on cruise ships for free. This is not the same technology used on land so you have to pay for it. The fees are clearly advertised on the ship and on Cingulars website so I think you will get stuck with the bill.

A hard lesson learned.

Sorry!

I never knew there had been threads about this around here for the past couple of years. I've always missed them. I mean, I've read about people wondering which phones work where - as in port. Such as, I knew Cingular worked in Alaska because we DID call Cingular before we left home to go on that cruise. My husband, as business owner, needed to contact employees and we wondered if there were even towers in Alaska and if our local calling area was continental USA or the entire USA. That's when I found out that Alaska, Hawaii, Puerto Rico and the US Virgin islands were all "local" calls.

I never would have thought to do a search on "cellular at sea" prior to the first cruise I was on where it was available. Why would that thought cross my mind?

I do think RCI should be a little more out there with the charges - such as put it at the top of the page in larger letters whereever they tell about the availability of this service.

Oh come on, you "wondered if there were even towers in Alaska" ? Yes, there are, they also have indoor plumbing and dont use out houses.

So - this thread certainly has me yearning for the "old days" when there were no cell phones (anyone else remember the serenity of it all?) :o

I do. Especially when I am out in a restaurant and have to listen to people who can't get through a meal without being on the phone.

Oh come on, you "wondered if there were even towers in Alaska" ? Yes, there are, they also have indoor plumbing and dont use out houses.

Well, at the time I called to check on GSM cellular availability in Alaska it was nearly 2 years ago and the availability was VERY scant in Alaska. Just as it is STILL not working across the Florida Everglades. You need to know the difference in cell phone companies and the kinds of system/towers they work on. I don't remember the other type of phone but a GSM phone plan will not work on the other type of tower such as Alltell and I I believe it's Verizon work on. Those phones work on a different system and different towers and work in the Everglades and in the mountains of NC where my phone service will not work - for your information.

I did not wonder if there were towers in Alaska...I wondered if my phone would work on them and if there would be a charge since that is not part of the 49 continental USA. I called for the information everyone around here says should be researched prior to a trip.

And now you want to make me appear to be an idiot for calling and doing so. Well, it didn't work. I did the right thing and used my phone with my existing plan in Alaska - when it did work which wasn't always. Cingular phones do not work in remote areas...check their map on line. Alaska is a little romote to this day.

Some phones still don't use Sim cards with certain companies. Can you believe that? Recently I tried to explain to another Cingular customer how they can switch between phones by removing their sim card and just switching it as long as the phone is an authentic Cingular (or ATT) phone. They didn't know what a sim card was or that they have one. I guess this simple concept explains why people are also unaware of the difference in GSM and the other type of network and why the towers aren't interchangable.

But you see, it comes right back to the fact that everyone knows (don't they?) that Puerto Rico and St. Thomas are both a part of the United States of America and roaming or international charges do not apply from these places. And that is the point of origination of the OP's problem with her son's phone call.

I still believe that this new service on board is a little confusing since a phone should not be working for international calls unless it has been intentionally unlocked with a call to the service provider.

You are posting incorrect information once again. I have Sprint and roaming charges apply to me while in PR or ST. Thats MY plan. YMMV and obviously does. How do you know your not roaming if; 1. You didnt know cphones worked on the ship and 2. You dont use them on board or in port?

Its obvoius that lots of people are confused about the service. I personally have called my provider for my last Freedom cruise to KNOW what I would be responsible for. Sorry, but I would not rely on what "Mamabean" or anyone else for that matter, posts on a message board.

That depends on the specific cell phone plan. Our current nationwide plan covers calls made in the USVI and Puerto Rico, but not all do.

But the bottom line is that it is our responsibility to know what our plans cover and whether there are charges or fees for using a cell phone onboard.

beachchick

I did explain in an earlier post that I was talking about "most" modern cell phone plans. They are the ones that have no roaming charge in any of the USA and it's territories. I didn't think I needed to repeat myself here and left that part off in orderr to be more brief.

I agree - we should know our plans. And I suspect the OPs plan also covers the entire USA and it's territories which is why when her son turned on his phone it was not roaming...causing the problem when they left port. Like someone said, live and learn and the boy is only 16 I believe...he is still learning. But of course so am I and I admit to not knowing it all. Some here act as if I'm stupid for calling my provider to find out for sure the availability of calling in Alaska and it's cost. Apparently they want to make others out to be an idiot if they do and also if they don't. I'm not speaking about you here, as I notice you tend to be a reasonable voice on this board.

I just wanted to clarify for you that I did in fact state that most modern plans (I believe all but the cheapest of plans) provide nationwide coverage - which includes the territories of our country. I don't think most people know this about their own plan initially because they don't care if their phone works off the continent. I really don't believe the vast majority of people have a full understanding of their plan when they sign up. They have no reason to know...they just want it to work and mostly where they live or close by. Not everyone travels.

Well, at the time I called to check on GSM cellular availability in Alaska it was nearly 2 years ago and the availability was VERY scant in Alaska. Just as it is STILL not working across the Florida Everglades. You need to know the difference in cell phone companies and the kinds of system/towers they work on. I don't remember the other type of phone but a GSM phone plan will not work on the other type of tower such as Alltell and I I believe it's Verizon work on. Those phones work on a different system and different towers and work in the Everglades and in the mountains of NC where my phone service will not work - for your information.

I did not wonder if there were towers in Alaska...I wondered if my phone would work on them and if there would be a charge since that is not part of the 49 continental USA. I called for the information everyone around here says should be researched prior to a trip.

And now you want to make me appear to be an idiot for calling and doing so. Well, it didn't work. I did the right thing and used my phone with my existing plan in Alaska - when it did work which wasn't always. Cingular phones do not work in remote areas...check their map on line. Alaska is a little romote to this day.

Some phones still don't use Sim cards with certain companies. Can you believe that? Recently I tried to explain to another Cingular customer how they can switch between phones by removing their sim card and just switching it as long as the phone is an authentic Cingular (or ATT) phone. They didn't know what a sim card was or that they have one. I guess this simple concept explains why people are also unaware of the difference in GSM and the other type of network and why the towers aren't interchangable.

I am not responsible for making you feel like an idiot. Your post DID say that you wondered if there were towers in Alaska. Plain and simple, thats what you posted and thats what I responded to.

Cannot say that I read the entire contract....HOWEVER, I always call before leaving to make sure I will have service and what, if any, extra charges I should expect :D ;)

And, yes, I do read the entire cruise contract and insurance information because my hubby has had some health issues :)

###

I read the entire cruise contract myself - the first time. :) Now I don't because no matter what it says, I'm going and reading it isn't going to stop me from signing and it's not likely that they will allow me to cross things out and reword them.

I did exactly what you said before going to Alaska and someone tried to make me out to appear to be stupid for doing it. It's obvious that some people think that cell phones just work - everywhere in the entire country.

In answer to your questions I would say that the answers would be very low. I can honestly say that I have not read everyword. But the question to be asked then is, Is it the cell providers fault that we have not read everything available that was provided to us? That answer is no. The information is there and it is up to each one of us to take the time to read it.

Because we have not read what we were given (for whatever reason), should the cell provider say ok we will eat the charges (that are legitimate charges) because you did not take the time to read and know how your equipment and plan works? If we do not read and understand our plans and equipment then it is our fault not the cell provider for the excessive bills.

You ARE exactly right. That's why I think the OP can just ask to have the fees waived as a "one time only" thing. Phone companies have been known to do this in the wave of new technology based on misunderstandings. There is no harm in her asking. They may say no. In that case I fully believe she is obligated to pay by contract. But I do not believe her teenage son is entirely responsible. She should pay half for not being like me...a worry wort...and saying to him as soon as they boarded (or sooner) "Don't even think about using your phone on board or you're in big trouble." And yes that is probably how I'd word it to my own teen just to make it perfectly clear. IN fact, I think that IS how I worded it to her. :D

Perhaps, however that is where the parents step in, don't you think :rolleyes: :D How was the OP's son able to spend that many minutes alone during a family vacation?

###

I did say she is partially responsible.

My own 16 year old will spend that long away from me on a family vacation. There is not a chance we are going to hang out together all that time. She has been known to be alone in her own cabin sleeping not just at night but during the day for extended periods. I do not wait for her to wake up and do not know when she does wake up but she knows that she better be to dinner on time where I will meet her. If she were inclined to be on the phone, I wouldn't know it until the phone bill arrived. But she couldn't pretend it wasn't her phone that was used. :) I love how a family phone plan is itemized so completely. And I can't believe I have 2 daughters on my plan who use the same package of minutes and we still have many thousands of rollover minutes. I guess my overuse warnings sunk into their heads. :p

Of course I read contracts especially when teens are concerned.My guess would be the overwheming majority of people do.I think this should be a lesson to OP that cell phones should be removed from kids on a cruise.Even a incoming call could involve charges.Yes teens do irresonsible things.Part of the learning process.Just think of this as a somewhat 'cheap' lesson of life.By the way as far as free texting goes,check your plan some foreign cell companies will charge the users company for 'roaming fees' even if the phone is just turned on.Just like using a foreign ATM,your provider may waive fees but the other provider may not.Sailing past Canada on an Alaskan cruise we were charged 35 cents a minute roaming fees for incoming calls.Thank goodness it was only 7 bucks.Bottom line'teen messed up '.Live and learn.Better than charging a couple thousand dollars in pizza while a college.....Frank

I found the information I was looking for.

Alltel and Verizon use the CDMA network. Cingular uses GSM in general (there is more to that and what they are working on which I won't go into here). THAT is why I needed to know if my phone would work in Alaska. And THAT is why as someone mentioned, their phone won't work on the ships because they have Verizon as their carrier. Phones and towers are not all compatable. I hope you learned something new today. I was simply trying to "know my plan" and it's coverage when I educated myself prior to leaving for Alaska.

And yes, outhouses DO still exist in some parts of the country.

I also survive with water from my own well and have a septic tank...how old fashioned. :rolleyes: :)

I am not responsible for making you feel like an idiot. Your post DID say that you wondered if there were towers in Alaska. Plain and simple, thats what you posted and thats what I responded to.

Yes I wondered if there were towers....GSM towers. I wouldn't be calling my own carrier and asking about any other kind of towers because they wouldn't do me any good. When I asked cingular "do you have towers in Alaska?" there was no reason for me to say, "do you have GSM towers in Alaska?". They knew what I meant...apparently you didn't.

You are posting incorrect information once again. I have Sprint and roaming charges apply to me while in PR or ST. Thats MY plan. YMMV and obviously does. How do you know your not roaming if; 1. You didnt know cphones worked on the ship and 2. You dont use them on board or in port?

Its obvoius that lots of people are confused about the service. I personally have called my provider for my last Freedom cruise to KNOW what I would be responsible for. Sorry, but I would not rely on what "Mamabean" or anyone else for that matter, posts on a message board.

You are also on a CDMA network with Sprint. If you don't believe me, check with Sprint. I said "most" modern plans I never said "ALL" plans. Your provider's technology isn't the most modern. I do believe GSM came out later.

I did not use my phone on board and my husband did not use it out at sea. But he did use his along the coast of Alaska for business purposes and in port. That is how I know his phone did not roam. He is the one who turns on the phone. Of course I did check with my provider before we departed so we'd both know for sure.

I certainly don't rely totally on a message board for complete information especially about important things. But they tend to get some people more interested into finding out the truth for themselves.

Oh, and he checked his phone in St. Thomas and Puerto Rico and it wasn't roaming there, either. That was prior to cell phones working on the ship - and we did check his phone on board it there was "no service". No roaming - nothing.

That is why I was surprised the first time I received a flyer in my room stating that Cingular provided service on board. And now I know....

I will gladly pay the price it takes to stay in touch with my sister who is co-guardian along with me of our father with advanced Alzheimer's disease. That is the only thing I need my phone for while cruising. And because of the OP and her problem, I learned that I can receive a text message from my sister if there is a sudden change in my father's condition - for free - I already checked with my own carrier...just what everyone else should do with theirs.

They don't need to take my word for it if they have Cingular...they can go read it for themselves at the Cingular web site.

Wow, what a post. My fiends think I am to ana…. Because I do not like surprises and I gather as much info on a subject prior to setting out on that particular venture. I can virtually walk to my cabin blindfolded by doing research on the ship. Have a good understanding of the excursions I want to do, what dress codes shall be on any given night, condition of the beds on the ship, technology available, etc. With no surprises, I have very few disappointments and can thoroughly enjoy myself.

My Dad always said, Knowledge is Power, all the reason we have facilities of higher education, (and I didn’t go). If folks would spend just half the time researching items that are relevant to their lives as they do picking out a car or shoes, their lives could be much more satisfying and easier.

My DW will spend months preparing for Christmas, weeks getting her wardrobe together for the cruise, she and I spent months of research before putting in the pool, weighing pros and cons of each company, design and materials to be used. In the end, Christmas was Martha Stewart perfect, the pool a Home and Garden cover wannabe and while on the cruse, she will be the most beautiful creature on board.

Technology is the same, shop and understand your Computer, TV, microwave and Cell phone. Because we own our on company, I will have to keep in touch with them while away, I also researched internet fees onboard, so I will take my lap top to quickly download emails. I will also enjoy my hard earn vacation by turning off these items and only using them when necessary.

Law enforcement tells us Ignorance of the Law is no excuse. I use the internet, library and other means for cooking recipes, how to fix my classic car and how to plan for my cruise. I can not understand how anyone, with all this information available to us, can still use ignorance as an excuse.

Satman, I loved your post. Really I did. Great presentation. My thoughts exactly. :D

Of course after all that research before our first cruise, I took my laptop, paid the fee for unlimited use, emailed photos, etc....NEVER again. I'm not hanging out with technology like that again on another cruise and I haven't ever since that time. My laptop is just one more thing I don't have to carry on board now.

My favorite part about cruising? - I don't take calls. Almost anything could happen in the world and I don't care for a week.

I guess I find it hard to believe that everyone here has ever read their entire cell phone contract...just as I doubt that most cruisers ever read their entire cruise contract.

How many people have read their entire cell phone manual and know exactly how every feature works?

How many people have read the entire cruise compass every day on every ship they've been on?

How many have read every detail about cellular calling at the cingular web site?

Unfortunately, I think that I can answer yes to all of those questions. That probably gives some people on these boards a lot of information about my personality type! :D ALthough, I admit that after reading the first cruise contract it scared the crap out of me and I decided I'd better not read them any longer.:eek:

If you ever read about international calling at the cingular web site you would see that no phone is activated for international calls unless you call your service provider as I said previously and have your phone "unlocked" as some in the industry call it.

Actaully, I think that the phone only has to be unlocked if you want to receive service from a local provider in Europe while you are over there. If you are going to use the international service provided for in Cincular contracts I believe you only have to call them and have international roaming activated. And if it is active on your account from when it was first set up, as it is on mine, I don't think that you have to do anything other than land in Europe, the Caribbean, or anywhere else that there is cell service and start dialing your phone.

....., I took my laptop, paid the fee for unlimited use, emailed photos, etc....NEVER again. I'm not hanging out with technology like that again on another cruise and I haven't ever since that time. My laptop is just one more thing I don't have to carry on board now.

My favorite part about cruising? - I don't take calls. Almost anything could happen in the world and I don't care for a week.

I fully understand. As the responsible person for the livelihood of my employees and their families, I owe it to them to check email and VM, to answer their questions, address any customer issues and ensure things will be OK back at the ranch.

And you can rest assured, I won’t be taking calls, only placing them and I will only use it for a short period each day, usually around the DW’s nap time! I too have learned that technology can be costly, and my DW missing her nap can be even more costly!! LOL

Same here. I take everyone who I need to be concerned about on the cruise with me. Anything else that happens can wait until I get back!

You are also on a CDMA network with Sprint. If you don't believe me, check with Sprint.

Yes, Sprint uses CDMA. I prefer using CDMA/network phones because most of the CDMA patents are owned by Qualcomm in San Diego. I would prefer to give my money to U.S. based companies and not GSM systems/phone which most of the money heads over to Europe.

When "Buy American" is tough these days, I try to do my best! :)

You are also on a CDMA network with Sprint. If you don't believe me, check with Sprint. I said "most" modern plans I never said "ALL" plans. Your provider's technology isn't the most modern. I do believe GSM came out later.

You need to stop digging a hole with your knowledge...:rolleyes: CDMA and GSM are both high end digital systems, both VERY modern and capable of good bandwidth for both data and voice...

...oh and CDMA works fine on ships, some chips have both CDMA and GSM capability - since they are BOTH MODERN and ubiquitous...

Not sure why you feel a need to constantly defend the OP, post your thoughts and move on, this thread has become more about you than the OP's issues...

...and a big fat PS - I have not read the uniform driving code for my state, but I guarantee you that my not having read it or being ignorant of it, is not going to get me out of the ticket that the cop gave me, which is the bottom line to the OP, IGNORANCE is not an excuse.

You are posting incorrect information once again. I have Sprint and roaming charges apply to me while in PR or ST. Thats MY plan.

We have Sprint and DO get regular service without "Roaming" charges while in San Juan, St. Thomas, Hawaii and have had service in some other unexpected islands...even while on the ship at sea, with no extra charges.;)

I do feel for the OP because our three "young adult" children have been known to "run up" the bill occasionally, but nothing like $600! :eek: We do instruct them ahead of time that the ship will have no signals :rolleyes: , but they may try their phones in port. Other than there, the phones need to be turned off and put away. I showed my children how to send and check emails and the cost came out of their budgets.

I quickly called my cell phone provider for an explanation. The CS rep explained that when someone calls you and you don't answer it but the caller gets voice mail then the provider that you are roaming with charges to put that call to voicemail. Needless to say that I was on the hook for the charges.:( The CS rep did feel bad as she could see that no airtime was used so she offered to reduce the bill by half and suggested that I purchase a phone that has airplane mode so that I can still use the other functions of the phone (like the alarm clock) and not incur charges. Of course I did exactly that and now set my phone to airline mode anytime that I travel to avoid unexpected charges and then simply switch the airline mode off if I need to use the phone.

fierysand - What type of service do you have? I leave my phone on and charged, but cannot receive any voice mail unless I have service. I have that "locked" roaming thing .

I think we can all thank the OP for posting her story because this will "serve as a warning" to all that are unfamiliar with how cell phone service works. I know I have learned some new things today!

Archived