Pirates Museum Bahamas

spamwhiches

I enjoyed this tour a lot. However this is a tour that would appeal more to history buffs, and sightseers. The advantage of going through the cruise line is you will have a taxi reserved for you when you get off the ship. Otherwise, based on my past experience in Nassua, you could have a taxi driver at the pier take you on the tour. I think it's worth booking it through the ship to save yourself the hassel of hunting down cab drivers. Cab drivers are easy to find in Nassua but you don't have much time at this port. Since you want to hit the ground running save time and book the excursion.

I love reading about and watching shows on pirates and their history.

Was excited to see the museum when we were in Nassau in September.

It is a decent little museum. (would basically be a small wing at your local Natural History Museum.)

If I remember correctly, admission was like $12.

It would be worth about $5.

There was a nice giftshop that you didn't need to go through the museum to use.

Bill

Thanks fellow cruisers for your insight. Am I correct assuming that the "dungeons" are part of the museum and that if we went there on our own we could see it all? We have some history buffs travelling with us, and some beach bums, so we thought a couple hours in the morning at the museum, catch cabs to Fincastle & Queens stairs, followed by a few hours on the beach at the BCH until cruise departure.

anyone have any further comments on this plan? in port from 7 - 4

thanks everyone and may your next cruise be your best!

Thanks fellow cruisers for your insight. Am I correct assuming that the "dungeons" are part of the museum and that if we went there on our own we could see it all? We have some history buffs travelling with us, and some beach bums, so we thought a couple hours in the morning at the museum, catch cabs to Fincastle & Queens stairs, followed by a few hours on the beach at the BCH until cruise departure.

anyone have any further comments on this plan? in port from 7 - 4

thanks everyone and may your next cruise be your best!

When we were in Nassau in September we did a walking tour which headed out towards Fincastle/the Queen's Staircase and wound up at the British Colonial Hilton.

We got straight off the ship a little after 7AM and had gotten to the bottom of the Queen's Staircase before 8AM.

There is no locked entrance, so we were alone there, except a local woman using the staircase for her exercise.

By the time we stopped taking photos of the entrance/gorge area and walked up the stairs, the local guides had arrived and we got a great history of the staircase, the Fort and the Bahamas, for the cost of a tip.

(which I happily gave for the great 20 minute history lesson)

By the time we walked up the hill to the Fort, the local guides were there also. (same voluntary tip)

We then spent another hour and a half to two hours finishing the tour and arriving at the BCH....

We went in and got the $15 daypass and headed to the pool/beach.

I deciced to roam to check out the surrounding area, after about an hour of pooltime, and left my Wife to her perfect day of sunning. I stopped at the Pirate museum, which is almost directly across the street from the BCH. (less than a block from main entrance)

Depending on how long it takes the ship to begin debarking in Nassau, you might be better served, timewise, taking a cab to the staircase/Fincastle first, then winding up at the BCH, with a nearby sidetrip (2 minute walk) to the Pirates Museum for those who would be interested.

Bill

You can go to the Pirate Museum on your own as its only a few blocks away from the docK. We've been there a few times because my DD love pirates, it's kind of cheesy, but it does have some history of pirates arriving in Nassau, a few replicas and they have a courtyard restaurant and gift shop.

• 1 month later...

Archived