Victor Bodden guide/driver recommendations? (MERGED THREADS)

RealDeal

The monkees and other animal are at Victor's home. He also has a zip-line and small shop there. The enclosures were roomy, and spotlessly clean. For a small operation, I felt the animals were very well taken care of. We had a blast with the monkees.

Here are a few pictures from our recent trip:

[/url]

Great pix...wish I was there! I guess it's time to schedule another trip to Roatan!

Just curious - wondering about the vehicles being used? Are they all vans? Or some cars? Air conditioned? Do they provide bottled water/drinks? or do you bring your own?

We were in an air-conditioned car on our first tour and a van with a/c on the second. They are newer, clean and in good condition. I would bring your own water, they don't provide it. However, they will be happy to stop at a store for you if you want to purchase a drink there.

On our first tour, I was dying for a Mt. Dew. Back then no one in the Western Caribbean ports sold it. Our driver stopped at numerous shops to help me find one [never did, but I appreciated his effort]

We had Marty. But I agree with other posters, all VB guides are the best. According to Marty, Victor is very selective in who he hires...only the best. The vehicle was an older style van, not luxurious, but adequate. We took a short tour of part of the island, with Marty describing the sites, culture, economy etc. Marty was not at all pushy. He was very relaxed, and open to taking us where every we wanted.

We headed to VB zipline. While my boys (14 and 12) and I ziplined, my wife hung out with the monkeys. Marty ran a few errands and was waiting for us afterwards. Ziplining was very fun, easy and not at all scary for the boys. After zipping, we all held the monkeys and birds, then headed to paradise.

We told Marty we were interested in a quiet beach for my wife to relax and where the boys could snorkel. Wow! Did he know the spot. He took us to a distal section of Half-Moon Bay. Free lounge chairs in the shade, very secluded, private with only a couple of families. We rented snorkel gear ($7) and could have snorkeled without even moving more than a foot from the shore. We were right on the reef, which was otherwise a 1/4 mile swim from the more public beach. My boys and I snorkeled as long as we could, then we had a wonderful lunch at the nearby Half Moon Bay Restaurant, of lobster and shrimp. The restaurant was a beautiful open-aired, dark wood structure that looked relatively new. It stradled the reef, providing a beautiful view.

I recommend any VB driver.

We told Marty we were interested in a quiet beach for my wife to relax and where the boys could snorkel. Wow! Did he know the spot. He took us to a distal section of Half-Moon Bay. Free lounge chairs in the shade, very secluded, private with only a couple of families. We rented snorkel gear ($7) and could have snorkeled without even moving more than a foot from the shore. We were right on the reef, which was otherwise a 1/4 mile swim from the more public beach. My boys and I snorkeled as long as we could, then we had a wonderful lunch at the nearby Half Moon Bay Restaurant, of lobster and shrimp. The restaurant was a beautiful open-aired, dark wood structure that looked relatively new. It stradled the reef, providing a beautiful view.

Does this bring back memories?

2338379320104390106S600x600Q85.jpg

We had Marty. But I agree with other posters, all VB guides are the best.

Was the great snorkel spot right near the restaurant or did you need to drive further down for that? Ever since I read MDSue's great description on Half Moon Bay Restaurant and snorkeling I thought my family would love it (thanks again MDsue), but I am wondering if you also snorkeled right by the restaurant. I am thinking my husband might want to sit and have a beer while the rest of us snorkel and then we all get something to eat.

Thanks!

Was the great snorkel spot right near the restaurant or did you need to drive further down for that? Ever since I read MDSue's great description on Half Moon Bay Restaurant and snorkeling I thought my family would love it (thanks again MDsue), but I am wondering if you also snorkeled right by the restaurant. I am thinking my husband might want to sit and have a beer while the rest of us snorkel and then we all get something to eat.

Thanks!

The last picture I posted was from the outside patio of the restaurant. It is very close to the snorkelling area.

My sister and I have loved Hanno. We have used him twice. He speaks english very well, has a great knowledge of island, and as with all Victors drivers, will take you where ever you want to go, watch over you and your stuff. There are alot of monkeys, they are great fun, and safe to play with. There are a few other animals also, some to touch and play with, all fun. I hear great things of all VB's drivers after each day there from others who requested them. All seem to be polite and friendly and very helpful and work to make your visit safe and memorable.

Not to create a problem - but how do you know the monkeys are 'safe to play with'? In many areas certain types of pets/wildlife require shots/medical visits etc. The probability of the monkeys carrying some disease may be rare but still possible - and just because they look safe to play with does not mean they are....(and in some reviews people do mention being bit by the monkeys).

I think caution should always be exercised when handling animals - esp in foreign places (can you tell I have worked with vets?)

We also snorkled and ate here. It was much quieter than Tabyana Beach. The food was good and certainly your hubby can get a beer and people watch from there. It was stormy when we were there but it was a pretty little beach and if the water had been calm the snorkling would have been really good. Roatan is on the same reef as Belize. By the way, TEX was awesome!!:D

I'm assuming you can go to Victor's house and look at the animals but not hold them? We are going there on our tour and I would like to see them but won't be holding any.

I can't imagine you would be forced to hold animals you did not want to hold!!! But looks like the monkeys are somewhat on the loose and tend to climb all over the visitors.....not sure how to stay far enuf away so that they don't consider you a climbing post :D.... I personally prefer to see animals in more natural settings than in a cage in someone's yard.....

Not to create a problem - but how do you know the monkeys are 'safe to play with'? In many areas certain types of pets/wildlife require shots/medical visits etc. The probability of the monkeys carrying some disease may be rare but still possible - and just because they look safe to play with does not mean they are....(and in some reviews people do mention being bit by the monkeys).

I think caution should always be exercised when handling animals - esp in foreign places (can you tell I have worked with vets?)

You have a good question and point. Even with a domestic animal [anywhere], there is always a chance that one might bite. I would certainly ask what kind of health history they have if you were concerned. I wasn't at all worried myself, but I have a lot of experience with animals in general and felt safe. The monkees we played with were extremely playful and curious, and definitely looking for any pockets to raid.

Stick with your own comfort range, there is so much to see and do on the island. Even if you went to see the animals, they are not running loose, so you would have to choose to enter their cage.

I can't imagine you would be forced to hold animals you did not want to hold!!! But looks like the monkeys are somewhat on the loose and tend to climb all over the visitors.....not sure how to stay far enuf away so that they don't consider you a climbing post :D.... I personally prefer to see animals in more natural settings than in a cage in someone's yard.....

If you take a western caribbean cruise and want to see wildlife in their natural environment, I highly recommend doing a wildlife tour in Belize. We did a river cruise and saw many monkees up in the trees along with dolphins, crocs, manatees, iguanas and you name it. Of course the monkees are much further away, but very worthwhile.

The monkees are secure at Victor's. The enclosures are fairly roomy and nice.

The monkeys have their own enclosure and you can certainly stand outside of the enclosure to watch them. However, we entered their enclosure, let them climb all over us and had the time of our lives:). We leave Saturday for 8 days on the island and will be paying a return visit to Victor's!

The monkeys have their own enclosure and you can certainly stand outside of the enclosure to watch them. However, we entered their enclosure, let them climb all over us and had the time of our lives:). We leave Saturday for 8 days on the island and will be paying a return visit to Victor's!

I'm so envious! Have a great time!

If you take a western caribbean cruise and want to see wildlife in their natural environment, I highly recommend doing a wildlife tour in Belize. We did a river cruise and saw many monkees up in the trees along with dolphins, crocs, manatees, iguanas and you name it. Of course the monkees are much further away, but very worthwhile.

The monkees are secure at Victor's. The enclosures are fairly roomy and nice.

Would love to do a wildlife tour in Belize - I have done Lamanai - and we did see a 'few' birds, some howler monkeys but not much else. Are you aware of a specific tour where I can see what you have mentioned. I was thinking of doing the Altun Ha/River Wallace with Carnival but open to suggestions if you know of something 'wilder'! Thanks :D

thanks for the info on the cages, etc. I know we wouldn't be forced to hold the animals and after I posted that I realized how it sounded but I guess I was wondering how easy it would be to see them and not necessarily hold them or have them on you. Question answered. Thanks so. I am an animal lover so probably would enjoy holding them but am a little worried about what the previous poster said in regards to being bitten or scratched. Can't wait to see Roatan. It is the port we are most looking forward to.

If you google Victor Boddden, you will get the website information. We just returned from the Legend and had an outstanding day on Roaton. Our guide was Lionel and he was fantastic. He showed us around the island and shared so much information about his homeland. We did the monkey visit ( they love fruit loops ) and went to the beach where we chilled, rode the banana boat, and basically didn't want to leave.

Lionel was a wonderful tourguide. You will have a great visit to this beautiful island. I would recommend Victor Bodden tours highly. You won't be disappointed!

HI all!

We are planning to book with Victor. We want to see the iguanas and then snorkel and possibly see birds/wildlife?? Where is best beach/area to snorkel? I have seen the pics of West Bay & of course it all looks gorgeous. Or should we just ask them to take us wherever...although we prefer to have some kind of plan.

We leave 9/20. Thanks for helping this first time cruiser :)