Liqueur Theft Warning!!

oceanqueen571

Those in our group who had liqueur (non opened) in their checked luggage at the end of our recent cruise had it stolen at SJU!! We flew USAIRWAYS. Anyone else experience this??

SInce it cannot be hand carried due to TSA restrictions, liqueur may be best purchased at the airports where it can be hand carried with a reciept of purchase.

Just a FYI.

I assume that you mean that it was stolen at some point between your claiming it in San Juan and your arrival at home.

This is why I always either use TSA approved locks on my luggage OR, at a minimum use colored cable ties to close the zippers on the bags. This way I can at least, tell if the bags have been opened as soon as I claim them rather than waiting until I get home.

I assume that you mean that it was stolen at some point between your claiming it in San Juan and your arrival at home.

This is why I always either use TSA approved locks on my luggage OR, at a minimum use colored cable ties to close the zippers on the bags. This way I can at least, tell if the bags have been opened as soon as I claim them rather than waiting until I get home.

The locks were TSA approved and they were opened. I suppose it must be some operation xraying luggage and knowing there is booze to take.

If they were TSA and opened with the TSA Key, then I would at least make some sort of complaint to TSA. I can't say that I would have a huge amount of faith that anything positive would occure, but I would at least start there.

Perhaps if nothing else, you'll get a little bit of satisfaction out of it.

Good luck.

So sorry to hear that. I am beginning to wonder if some of the Puerto Ricans are dishonest. I base this on as I posted on the ports of call boards for PR that I paid cash for my stay at Hotel Pierre Gallery Plaza Nov 24th and they didn't receipt my bill and later charged me the $150.16 US to my credit card. I have been fighting with Best Western and the hotel. The hotel manager says they never received the cash even though I have a witness. I told the manager that he had a thief on the front desk. Has left a very bad taste for me about San Juan. Best Western International as a courtesy is sending me a travel card in the amount of $75US but said as the hotels are individually owned it was out of their hands.

Sherrill

So sorry to hear that. I am beginning to wonder if some of the Puerto Ricans are dishonest.

Theft happens here in Ontario too - from yesterday's news:

In what appears to be another security lapse at Canada's biggest airport, seven baggage handlers at Toronto's Pearson International face multiple theft-related charges in a criminal investigation that stretches back to last summer and is still under way.

The seven, who include a 19-year-old supervisor and at least two juveniles, worked at Terminal 3, which is used by close to 50 airlines and serviced by five baggage-handling companies. They are alleged to have systematically stolen electronic goods from the bags of both inbound and outbound passengers.

:( :(

I had my entire toiletry bag removed from my suitcase when flying home from San Juan in August. Since you hand your bags directly to the agent behind the counter and have it scanned right there, it could only have disappearred between leaving San Juan and arriving in JFK. I was fortunate that JetBlue reimbursed me for my loss, but it really stinks to have to worry about this. Clearly it is occuring in the TSA secured/Baggage handling areas so the locks are useless. If they want the stuff, they will get it.

Yo, a 19 year old supervisor!!!!! That's not enough of a work record to know how reliable they are, imo.

... and at least two juveniles involved as well! Experience, reliability, trustworthyness, etc. may take on less importance when being hired for a job such as this, than the fact that you are related to the owner of the company that has the contract.

Hi,

I have a neighbor who had her fairly new Nike sneakers and jewelry (yes, she got a speech from me on how stupid it was to check her jewelry) and only those two things taken from her checked luggage at SJU too. She was not coming/going from a cruise, but from a hotel stay...but word to the wise....never put anything really expensive in your checked luggage.

Lynne

Archived