Star Princess a major disappointment.

waterlass

Quote Waterlass :My husband and I will certainly be cruising again (despite the seasoned advice from several cruise "professionals" on this thread), only not with Princess, and I certainly learned my lesson about posting feedback on web forums such as these."

I agree that until the "sewage smell" problem is resolved I would not opt to sail the Star. My first experience sailing Royal Caribbean was not on par with Princess but that didn't stop me from sailing RC again.

Okay, while I see what you're saying, I can only sympathize slightly, if at all. I've gotta point out that when you take on a job, you have to DO the job, and do it well, no exceptions, no whining, no excuses. I am a musician/pianist, singer, actor, and entertainer (and teacher) and I have worked my butt off the last 20 years or so on New Year's Eve gigs and all through MOST holidays because that's the most lucrative time of the year for me. I make almost no money gigging during January, which is always hard. My job means I usually don't get to kiss someone under the mistletoe or have a romantic evening on New Year's because I'm on the bandstand entertaining all y'all. So, I have limited sympathy for people when they don't suck it up and do their jobs.

Admittedly, I love what I do, (and I've used a lot of tenacity to continue to be full-time employed in the arts my whole life...a feat many say is impossible) but the thing is that I don't buy into the victim mentality that people can't keep searching/trying and find something they like to do and to which they have skills. I don't let people off the hook of doing their job well if they don't like it. I've played my fair share of bratty kid's birthdays, bratty bride's weddings, and even played a dragon dancer for an hour in a god-awful costume in over 100 degree heat/humidity and I did the best I could regardless of pay and/or working conditions, or unfortunate calendar events. (and I've waitressed during artistic low tides, as has most of the arts/entertainment industry, and I smiled and served to the best of my ability)

I don't mean to be rude but it's just too bad they're working the weeks of Xmas. If that is such a high priority to them to not work those calendar dates then it is their responsibility to do something about that...not ours. For instance, I've added "professor" to the list of things I do, partly because as I get older I care more about benefits than I do about freelance freedoms, and also because I like having holidays and summers off to ....uh....say, go on a cruise on Star Princess on 12/16-12/23...something I've been able to do almost never in my life.

I've worked hard and kept my goals/priorities in front of me to align my work with my priorities. I in no way think I'm smarter, have more potential, or am more special than anyone else (one of the reasons I love teaching) and I therefore think any person working that ship has the same opportunity to "change their stars" as have I. (I watch the movie "Knight's Tale" a lot, thus the "stars" quote...sorry) Meanwhile, while they may be trying to change their proverbial stars, they need to give their all...ALL of the time while they are in the process. That's what hones character, and that's what reaps a destiny.....in my humble opinion.

Thanks for listening, and I do not mean to offend....merely challenge perspective:rolleyes:

Debbie

Like I said, it was just an idea. And I don't think everyone has such a philisophical look on life and careers as you do. Some people have jobs they like and enjoy doing (which I'm sure many on the cruise ships do), while others probably work what they can for the money to support families and themselves. There is no excuse for anyone being rude or mean, but if they aren't all bubbles and sunshine all the time, I wouldn't hold it against them.

I know that when I force myself to go into work everyday, I don't think about how it is going to hone my character, just that it is what I need to get paid and get my health coverage. And I drag myself in to work miserable as can be sometimes, but I am stuck there until I can find something else that is right (and I have been looking for months and months).

I now work an office job that gets the normal holidays and weekends off and I was pissed I didn't get the day after Thanksgiving off when the rest of the world did. So, that day I didn't do much but sit in my office all day and look out the window. I didn't feel like working and had zero ambition. Different strokes for different folks. Everyone's personality and expectations are different. And it was just a thought I had. I could have been way off anyways.

Don't get me wrong, I don't like being on the receiving end of a grumpy waitstaff. But, I know I was and am an unhappy employee too at times and I know what it is like on that end. \ In a way you are stuck and have to just get through it until you find your light at the end of the tunnel. It happens. We are all human with flaws and not mannicans (sp?). Oh well, I'm done making a debate of it, I just wanted to throw the idea out there anyways.

Personally, I am more concerned about the sewage smell on the Star, since I will be on my first cruise on it in April...

With so many different accounts of the smell on the Star, I would not set foot on it right now. I would prefer to be at work than endure the smell for a week. They need to address this soon or will lose alot of business as word does get out. Even if it was a free cruise, I would opt to not take time off work until the problem is resolved. NO ONE, not even the workers should have to be subjected to that.

Waterlass I feel your Pain!

I am a veteran cruiser and rarely comment on any posts, but I wanted to give my two cents to you. First, I wish I could have talked to you before you booked a cruise for your honeymoon so you knew what to expect. When you share a ship with 2400 + people you might encounter some of the problems you mentioned. I have experienced everything you mentioned in some form or another, but the difference is that I expect it. I am rarely disappointed, because I always feel I am getting good quality relative to what I am spending. I would never share my honeymoon with 2500 people. You sometimes can't get away from smoke, sewage smells, chair hogs, institutional food, and rude guests/employees. But, I can tolerate all of that several times a year because cruising is the easiest, cheapest vacation of all. If I am going to share a ship with 2500 I have to set my expectations correctly and not let other people's behavior bother me nor expect 5 star service/food.

I truly think you should give cruising another try. If you know all of these things ahead of time (check-in lines, tendering lines, smoking allowed, dinner seating issues, waiters selling drinks, photographers selling DVD's, etc.) nothing will be a surprise, and you can handle it. You can't beat the price for the most part.

Many of the issues you were upset about could have happened on ANY cruise ship. These issues are not exclusive to the Star Princess. Food is so subjective, but I completely agree with you about the desserts. They are prepackaged, out of the freezer. Nothing is homemade. However, I can always find something I like. Cheesecake, for example.

If I was a first-time cruiser and had the experience you had, I would have written the same letter to Princess. But now that you know the routine, I promise your next cruise will be much better.

Best, Sungirl ;-)

Just a quick question to help me understand better, if the boat is moving and it is very windy, how do you smell the sewage "everywhere?" I would imagine the front of the ship should have had some seating where you wouldn't have smelled it.

I am not saying you did but sometimes being rude to the staff tends to make them rude back. Maybe without realizing it you copped an attitude?

I hate the smell of cigars too and wouldnt have been happy with someone smoking right next to me but instead of whining about it I would just wait till he is done. How long does a cigar last? Maybe if you lighten up a bit, take breath, and just enjoy what is right you will have a much better experience next time.

Is your waterglass half empty or half full?___________________________

We have cruised 18 times in twelve years... Stopped cruising three years ago... Have not looked at these boards until a family member booked this ship for a spring cruise. There are so many complaints regarding the smell on this ship I can't believe the audacity of the above poster to insult the original poster. "Go sit where it doesn't stink or how long does a cigar last" This person is an idiot or works for the cruise industry.

Okay, while I see what you're saying, I can only sympathize slightly, if at all. I've gotta point out that when you take on a job, you have to DO the job, and do it well, no exceptions, no whining, no excuses. I am a musician/pianist, singer, actor, and entertainer (and teacher) and I have worked my butt off the last 20 years or so on New Year's Eve gigs and all through MOST holidays because that's the most lucrative time of the year for me. I make almost no money gigging during January, which is always hard. My job means I usually don't get to kiss someone under the mistletoe or have a romantic evening on New Year's because I'm on the bandstand entertaining all y'all. So, I have limited sympathy for people when they don't suck it up and do their jobs.

Admittedly, I love what I do, (and I've used a lot of tenacity to continue to be full-time employed in the arts my whole life...a feat many say is impossible) but the thing is that I don't buy into the victim mentality that people can't keep searching/trying and find something they like to do and to which they have skills. I don't let people off the hook of doing their job well if they don't like it. I've played my fair share of bratty kid's birthdays, bratty bride's weddings, and even played a dragon dancer for an hour in a god-awful costume in over 100 degree heat/humidity and I did the best I could regardless of pay and/or working conditions, or unfortunate calendar events. (and I've waitressed during artistic low tides, as has most of the arts/entertainment industry, and I smiled and served to the best of my ability)

I don't mean to be rude but it's just too bad they're working the weeks of Xmas. If that is such a high priority to them to not work those calendar dates then it is their responsibility to do something about that...not ours. For instance, I've added "professor" to the list of things I do, partly because as I get older I care more about benefits than I do about freelance freedoms, and also because I like having holidays and summers off to ....uh....say, go on a cruise on Star Princess on 12/16-12/23...something I've been able to do almost never in my life.

I've worked hard and kept my goals/priorities in front of me to align my work with my priorities. I in no way think I'm smarter, have more potential, or am more special than anyone else (one of the reasons I love teaching) and I therefore think any person working that ship has the same opportunity to "change their stars" as have I. (I watch the movie "Knight's Tale" a lot, thus the "stars" quote...sorry) Meanwhile, while they may be trying to change their proverbial stars, they need to give their all...ALL of the time while they are in the process. That's what hones character, and that's what reaps a destiny.....in my humble opinion.

Thanks for listening, and I do not mean to offend....merely challenge perspective:rolleyes:

Debbie

This was probably oneof the hardest replies to a thread I've ever written. I don't mean to be rude, either, but I cannot believe that someone so educated and worldly would make such a statement.

The people that service us so well and admirably while we are enjoying our vacations work exceedingly hard. Most of them work 14 hour days 7 days a week for six months straight. Most are from countries that have very limited employment opportunities and for them this is a job of a lifetime. Not in terms of what they do, but in the fact they can support their families and their extended families. They don't have the luxury of calling in sick, or deciding to take vacation days, or having holidays off. They work for a minimum wage to keep food on their families' table. How can we compare what they do with what we do. We have so many choices in our lives that they will never have the opportunity to even know about much less consider.

I have worked in the service industry (an airline attendant) in my younger days, and I know first hand how rude, demanding, and obnoxious people can be. Hopefully none of us fall in that category but I am sure cruise ship workers come across many "not so nice" passengers. If a crew member is having a bad day why don't we take the time to smile at them and let them know we appreciate the work they are doing for us instead of telling them that since they chose this job they need to give us 100% of their attention 100% of the time. What ever happened to compasion?

With so many different accounts of the smell on the Star, I would not set foot on it right now. I would prefer to be at work than endure the smell for a week. They need to address this soon or will lose alot of business as word does get out. Even if it was a free cruise, I would opt to not take time off work until the problem is resolved. NO ONE, not even the workers should have to be subjected to that.

An awful lot of posters have said that they have not smelled any smell AT ALL, and many have said that they noticed it, but not enough to worry about. Yes, there have been several who have seemed to REALLY smell it.

Princess does need to address this. But it obviously isn't going to keep me from cruising her! Hey, I have an inside GTY...doubt I'll be getting an upgrade to balcony:D :D :D

Like I said, it was just an idea. And I don't think everyone has such a philisophical look on life and careers as you do. Some people have jobs they like and enjoy doing (which I'm sure many on the cruise ships do), while others probably work what they can for the money to support families and themselves. There is no excuse for anyone being rude or mean, but if they aren't all bubbles and sunshine all the time, I wouldn't hold it against them.

I know that when I force myself to go into work everyday, I don't think about how it is going to hone my character, just that it is what I need to get paid and get my health coverage. And I drag myself in to work miserable as can be sometimes, but I am stuck there until I can find something else that is right (and I have been looking for months and months).

I now work an office job that gets the normal holidays and weekends off and I was pissed I didn't get the day after Thanksgiving off when the rest of the world did. So, that day I didn't do much but sit in my office all day and look out the window. I didn't feel like working and had zero ambition. Different strokes for different folks. Everyone's personality and expectations are different. And it was just a thought I had. I could have been way off anyways.

Don't get me wrong, I don't like being on the receiving end of a grumpy waitstaff. But, I know I was and am an unhappy employee too at times and I know what it is like on that end. \ In a way you are stuck and have to just get through it until you find your light at the end of the tunnel. It happens. We are all human with flaws and not mannicans (sp?). Oh well, I'm done making a debate of it, I just wanted to throw the idea out there anyways.

Personally, I am more concerned about the sewage smell on the Star, since I will be on my first cruise on it in April...

Point taken, thanks for writing. And yes, I know not everyone has as philosophical a bent on careers and life as I do, and it's not like I haven't had my fair share of days that weren't sunshine and roses on the bandstand either. Absolutely. I guess I just do expect people to keep trying to do their best even on the dark days...and as a teacher, I hope to inspire others to find work that is fulfilling to their soul, and pays the bills and health issues too. And yes, the concern over the smell dampening a vacation is of importance...certainly. I hope you don't encounter any problem when you sail soon. Alan and I were starboard midship on Aloha 629 and we were able to use our balcony. Seems the problem is more forward in the ship, starboard from what I see in the postings. So hopefully it won't affect you. Good luck, and thanks again.

Debbie

This was probably oneof the hardest replies to a thread I've ever written. I don't mean to be rude, either, but I cannot believe that someone so educated and worldly would make such a statement.

The people that service us so well and admirably while we are enjoying our vacations work exceedingly hard. Most of them work 14 hour days 7 days a week for six months straight. Most are from countries that have very limited employment opportunities and for them this is a job of a lifetime. Not in terms of what they do, but in the fact they can support their families and their extended families. They don't have the luxury of calling in sick, or deciding to take vacation days, or having holidays off. They work for a minimum wage to keep food on their families' table. How can we compare what they do with what we do. We have so many choices in our lives that they will never have the opportunity to even know about much less consider.

I have worked in the service industry (an airline attendant) in my younger days, and I know first hand how rude, demanding, and obnoxious people can be. Hopefully none of us fall in that category but I am sure cruise ship workers come across many "not so nice" passengers. If a crew member is having a bad day why don't we take the time to smile at them and let them know we appreciate the work they are doing for us instead of telling them that since they chose this job they need to give us 100% of their attention 100% of the time. What ever happened to compasion?

Thank you for posting and I'm sorry the post was hard for you. As far as educated and worldly, you are correct. As a teacher I try to be very careful about saying/posting anything about which I am not educated, otherwise I will say "I don't know much here but..." Cerebral/intellectual integrity means a lot to me. And communication is deeply important too, thus this response to you.

In this case I do know a fair bit about the pay scale, the vacations, benefits, and sick day policies of people who work on the ship. Admittedly I don't know everything, but these people are not as poorly paid as you assert, nor are they as downtrodden with regard to sickdays or other benefits as you think. Some of this information can be found online so I won't go into it here but you can find out a lot more about their pay, benefits, and other through online searches. Also, I know many people personally who work in the cruise industry and I have accurate information from my colleagues/friends in the industry regarding the "real lives" and true options and opportunities of these people. They are not all poorly paid, overworked, third world types who have miniscule options. Interestingly, some of the upsetting labor hours/times and such you put upon the cruise workers are actually statistics that read much more like my life than theirs. :rolleyes:

Anyway, in regard to this sentence you wrote:

"If a crew member is having a bad day why don't we take the time to smile at them and let them know we appreciate the work they are doing for us instead of telling them that since they chose this job they need to give us 100% of their attention 100% of the time."

I never insinuated I would not smile at any worker (I would) nor did I say I wouldn't let them know I appreciate them (I do) and I NEVER have told them that since they chose this job they need to give us 100% of their attention 100% of the time.

What I was/am doing is I am stating that I think that no matter the holiday, the workers need to take the good with the bad regarding their jobs (as I do, and I'm sure you do) and that, when called on to "perform" during holiday season, they do just that...smile, give good service, and try not to think about the things that get in the way of them doing a spectacular job. I would never be rude to a worker, even if they were being rude to me, it's not in my nature and I care too much about good communication, and rudeness never begets better personal relations or communication. I never got the impression Waterlass (OP) was rude to anyone so I assume she is telling the truth (as I do everyone) that she was upset because she tried to smile at staff and she was disappointed that they often didn't smile back or seem friendly. I assume what she says to be the truth and, from being in an industry in which I often do have to work at times when others play, I understand how the workers may feel, however, I personally feel that when one takes on a job one has to have the discipline and fortitude to handle the rigors of that job, whatever they may be.

If I had a heart attack, God forbid, during a New Year's Eve party and had to be rushed to the emergency room, I would hope and pray to God that my surgeon felt the same way about his/her job and doing it just as well during the holiday season (no matter the work hours) as I my sentiments above....that's all. No disrespect intended to the workers, you, or anyone else. Thanks for writing.

Take care,

Debbie

First I am very sorry that you had a bad experience. More importately I am sorry that you have been blasted by several CC members for tellling us about your experience. I know how that feels. I am going on the Star April 14th and hope my trip will be alot better. Nobody should have to put up with a smell in their room and I would have been upset as well. I was on the CB last July and only had hot water 3 out of 7 day and my balcony was used as a walk thru so they could fix the other balconies. So I had no use for one day in a mini suite that I paid my hard earned money for. Princess was very nice to me and understood all that we went thru. Of course it had nothing to do with anyone smoking or waiting for anytime dining as I felt like previous posters THE OLE WELL ATTITUDE I can move away from the smoker and I did not have a reservation so I can say poor me but that does not mean anyone else will care.:)

I certainly hope you will try it again and not let this one experience keep you away.

Happy cruising!!;)

Just a quick question to help me understand better, if the boat is moving and it is very windy, how do you smell the sewage "everywhere?" I would imagine the front of the ship should have had some seating where you wouldn't have smelled it.

I am not saying you did but sometimes being rude to the staff tends to make them rude back. Maybe without realizing it you copped an attitude?

I hate the smell of cigars too and wouldnt have been happy with someone smoking right next to me but instead of whining about it I would just wait till he is done. How long does a cigar last? Maybe if you lighten up a bit, take breath, and just enjoy what is right you will have a much better experience next time.

Is your waterglass half empty or half full?___________________________

We have cruised 18 times in twelve years... Stopped cruising three years ago... Have not looked at these boards until a family member booked this ship for a spring cruise. There are so many complaints regarding the smell on this ship I can't believe the audacity of the above poster to insult the original poster. "Go sit where it doesn't stink or how long does a cigar last" This person is an idiot or works for the cruise industry.

We were on the Port side and had no problems in our balcony rooms. My father and sister had mini suites on the Starboard side front and could not use their balconies. Some days the sewer smell was in the room and hall.

When we came out of buffet on the starboard side we started gaging one day. Sewer smell was all around the spa also. Hope they fix the problem soon.

• 3 weeks later...

What is amazing to me is that Princess doesn't enforce the "don't dump your cigarette butts" overboard. Geeze, how many fires do they have to have!

We got off the Star 3 days before the fire in March. Food was good, we did have difficulty finding a seat on deck on more than 1 occasion, crew was exceptionally friendly, although a few in the Horizon Court could have used a little more training.

We didn't have a problem with odors, but I understand from several posts I've read on this board and others, that the smell was pretty offensive.

We got off the Caribbean Princ. last Sunday and had a terrific time with the exception of a Lotus Spa staff completely insulting me while trying to sell, sell, sell, a body brush. She literally grabbed my upper thigh, tried to shake it, while I was getting my pedicure, told me I had too much fat and cellulite on my thighs and really needed to buy this body brush. Don't think that didn't ruin my pedicure and feelings of tranquility:( Yep, not the most pleasant experience I've had.

It really does stink (no pun intended) that you didn't have the honeymoon of your dreams. Every couple deserves to have wonderful memories of the start of their lives together. Hope you can remember and focus on the fun you had. :)

Wow, so sorry about your first cruise. I am also sorry for some of the rude people on this post. Not everyone has a super vacation (land or sea), however, that is what this board is all about. Everyone should have an opportunity to express their feelings about the trip without people that have been on a zillion cruises making them feel bad. Their first post and probably the last what a shame. Hopefully your marriage will be smooth sailing. God Bless.

The people that service us so well and admirably while we are enjoying our vacations work exceedingly hard. Most of them work 14 hour days 7 days a week for six months straight. Most are from countries that have very limited employment opportunities and for them this is a job of a lifetime. Not in terms of what they do, but in the fact they can support their families and their extended families. They don't have the luxury of calling in sick, or deciding to take vacation days, or having holidays off. They work for a minimum wage to keep food on their families' table. How can we compare what they do with what we do. We have so many choices in our lives that they will never have the opportunity to even know about much less consider....

One of the highlights of cruising for us is getting to know people from other countries and cultures, including the crew members. Our steward on the Coral, Alfredo, was a 14 year princess veteran, and he felt that they were a good company to work for. He did have long hours, and worked very hard, but felt that working for Princess gave him the chance to provide a better life for his family than he could be staying in the Philippines; one of his four daughters is now studying computer science, and another is in nursing. On the other hand, he spends many long months away from home every year, but overall still feels that it is good career choice for him.

I have now been on nineteen cruises on various lines. I have never encountered sewer smells. This is not normal, should not be tolerated or overlooked. It is shameful that Princess doesn't care. I have been on Oceania, NCL, Carnival, Celebrity, etc. I never experienced sewer smells on Princess ships either but I don't doubt that the Star Sticks. Many posters have said this.

I was on Sapphire Princess last year to Alaska. There were some crew members who were very nice but overall they need to be better trained. They don't smile or try to be friendly. You shouldn't have to request a serving team- they should all be polite.

we loved our star cruise last week - it was great. The "smell" wasn't anywhere I could find. The only problem was a diesel smell on our balcony -

when we got on the ship we noticed that right below us was a diesel tanker and it seemed to be filling up the ship - the smell wasn't horrible but was present all cruise -

we loved the cruise - the food and service were awesome and the alter restaurants were good -

We are looking at booking again the last week in april - if we can get the right price we will go again.

First of all, just because someone questions a point of a post does not mean they are being "rude" ( Cathy).

Second , sewage smell is unacceptable, I would complain about it too.

Third, food is subjective, I've cruised on 2 x Carnival( which OP lumped in with "Superior lines "she had cruised with) and disliked their food, found it very bland and pedestrian.

Fourth, I also do NOT understand the OP obvious disgust at being given an "Applebees style pager" and having to wait for a seating. First of alll, I think the pager is a GREAT idea, have a drink in the lounge while waiting and relax.

I find it hard to believe that on a boat with thousands of staff , only two of them were pleasant, I mean what are the chances of that?

I also think Christmas burn out could have been an issue, and unlike poster Debbie who is an American, and has NO idea what living /wage / work availabilties are really like in most of the staffs home countries. She probaly has chatted to some purser staff , rather then the guys who clean the halls or the lower end wait staff, many of whom come from third world countries and NO there are not better jobs waiting for them at home, sheesh.

Drink prices are pretty fair to me and being from Canada I pay an inflated rate with conversion and we have never felt unfairly goughed on a cruise, trying going to Waikiki, LOL.. Water from the corner stores is 2 and 3 dollars!

Finally, I do think OP had some very legimtimate complaints, but, she filled her post/letter in with so many little petty ones that the tone of the letter is in fact whiney and will most likely get little or no response.

Stick to facts. Sewage smell, and cigarrette butts on balcony.

Hope you enjoy your next holiday more.

To PG:

There is no denying that cruise lines rely on people from second and third world countries as their main source of labor. I have met and communicated with crew members and know that they work long hours but they are making alot more money than they would at home. In fact, most don't work at all on their months off (three months usually). None of the crew members love ships. It is Money period. I do appreciate the crew, the long hours and the quality product they deliver. My experiences have been great. Having said that, the OP has made statements the are reminiscent of my Sapphire voyage. I had a good time because we were in Alaska and I was with my family. The ship was lovely but the service was nothing compared to Celebrity and Disney. Oceania is also topnotch. Even NCL and Carnival had a better vibe than Princess. The crew seems sad and disinterested on Princess. The standouts were the exception and not the rule.

Cruising has been wonderful for me and it sounds like the OP has had good experiences in the past. This cruise was a disappointment.

I also think Christmas burn out could have been an issue, and unlike poster Debbie who is an American, and has NO idea what living /wage / work availabilties are really like in most of the staffs home countries. She probaly has chatted to some purser staff , rather then the guys who clean the halls or the lower end wait staff, many of whom come from third world countries and NO there are not better jobs waiting for them at home, sheesh.

Thank you! :)

Originally Posted by pg. viewpost.gif

How would you know what Debbie knows and what she doesn't know?? I happen to know that she DOES know what she is talking about and that most of the people on the ship are making a decent living. You can add up what they would receive in tips and figure that out even if you didn't know it from other sources. Since when is Thailand or Eastern Europe third world countries???? The ship's staff make a decent living. If they can't live up to what is expected or they dont' want to live up to expectations then they should find another job just like anyone that doesn't work on a cruise ship.

Gator83, um, yes Thailand is a third world country, guess you know what you are talking about. And there are eastern europeon countries with extrememly low standards of living, high unemployment and almost no socail welfare type programs that most western countries take for granted. Your comments just showed what you know.

As for Debbies comments, I do not know her, but, I do know that being a " teacher" does not make one an expert on the standards of living and the wages earned by the cruise ship staff.

She has yet to explain HOW she has this certain information , other then " she knows people"..? She is of course aware of the difference in wages and living conditions on board between the different senority levels and departments. Trust me , the dishwasher and hall sweeper on not making what the maitre'd is, not even a fraction.

Anyways, you apparently do not have all the correct information and labour under misinformation and obvious youth and arrogance born of coming from a country where anything IS possible. We are lucky we were born in North America, and you had better believe that.

The lack of any enforcement whatsoever regarding cigarettes was really something that bothered us during our cruise on the Star.

There were quite a few cigarette butts on the sun decks and we found two during the cruise on our balcony. We saw a group of teenagers smoking on deck 12 and throwing cigarettes overboard with Princess employees around. No one said a word and they definitely saw it. Disgusting.

Gator83, um, yes Thailand is a third world country, guess you know what you are talking about. And there are eastern europeon countries with extrememly low standards of living, high unemployment and almost no socail welfare type programs that most western countries take for granted. Your comments just showed what you know.

As for Debbies comments, I do not know her, but, I do know that being a " teacher" does not make one an expert on the standards of living and the wages earned by the cruise ship staff.

She has yet to explain HOW she has this certain information , other then " she knows people"..? She is of course aware of the difference in wages and living conditions on board between the different senority levels and departments. Trust me , the dishwasher and hall sweeper on not making what the maitre'd is, not even a fraction.

Anyways, you apparently do not have all the correct information and labour under misinformation and obvious youth and arrogance born of coming from a country where anything IS possible. We are lucky we were born in North America, and you had better believe that.

When we were on the Star four years ago, our cabin steward was from Romania. As my hubby's father was born there, and they visited there when my hubby was pretty young, he talked to the steward at great length about the conditions there. My fil's village was poor, and still isn't thriving, as is much of the country. The steward, as many of her fellow workers, are sending home much of their wages and tips back home. To their spouses and children left behind.

Archived