Advice please! Best rolling garment bag for longer cruise?

jswrpw83

Hi all you fashionable cruisers!

It is time to replace my mismatched, broken-zippered, stained, heavy luggage. It's my Christmas present and I haven't picked any out yet!!! I'd love three wheeled pieces: carry-on; 26" - 28" suitcase, and most importantly a great garment bag. Does anyone know of a line of luggage that is lightweight (so I can pack more in it!) and also highly functional and organized?

I'm not very experienced and haven't been able to offer much advice on these boards--but I have been amazed at the wonderful advice given by so many. As a matter of fact, I didn't enjoy my first cruise and decided not to go on another, but staying involved with the Cruise Critic board just made me feel part of a fantastic community and I'll keep trying cruises until I find the perfect fit! :)

I'm sure you'll get lots of answers from both sides, cheap vs. quality.

For myself, I'd go with an investment in quality, rather than try to save a few $. I have a garment bag that has stood the test of time and I've had it since before they introduced a rolling version. When I replace it, I'll go with the rolling version, whatever is current:

http://www.ebags.com/victorinox_swiss_army/mobilizer_nxt_3_0_wheeled_deluxe_garment_mobilizer/product_detail/index.cfm?modelid=59091

I can pack my garment bag for a whole week and still have room to spare. Everything I pack in it (inside plastic dry cleaner bags) comes out neat and unwrinkled. The outside pockets hold more than you think, every square inch of the bag is usable and well organized. The fabric quality is superb, scuff marks are easily removed and the frame has no damage after numerous flights and cruises.

For me, a purchase of quality that can be used for years is a big savings over cheap brands that can only withstand a few trips.

Here is a link to the garment bag I just bought. Actually I bought the entire set because it was on sale. Very good quality, and I LOVE the spinners - they are so easy to transport. Note that there are pieces in this line that are not spinners (they just have 2 wheels) but I would pay the extra - spinners are worth it!

http://www.ebags.com/samsonite/xion_spinner_wheeled_garment_bag/product_detail/index.cfm?modelid=68247

I have a pretty basic Samsonite rolling garment bag, and it's served me for 2 or 3 cruises so far, with no signs of stopping. :)

My only recommendation is to make sure you've got some metal hangers - I use plastic ones in my closet and only 2 or 3 of them fit in my garment bag hanger clip thing (not sure what it's called.. lol). You'll be able to fit more if you use metal hangers. Or, I've just layered clothes onto one hanger, and that has worked okay too.

I posted the following on your original thread. I stand by my assertion that Hartmann makes the very best garment bags.

One reason I am so sold on these bags-they have a hanger thingie (Wally Clamp) on BOTH ends of the bag. So you essentially layer your clothes in the bag-no large "lump" in the middle, with little "stuff" in one end. Hanging from both ends means lot's less room for clothes to move around and get wrinkled.

Three hangers on one end, three on the other and so on. I just counted the hangers I loaded Saturday as I was leaving on my ill fated cruise (my luggage just got back from London)-15 total hangers-7 on one end, 8 on the other. My clothes have been packed for a week in the suitcase. They are almost totally unwrinkled.

ORIGINAL POST-I LOVE my Hartmann garment bags. I have two of the 50" Mobile Traveler size -one in the Intensity series and one in classic Hartmann tweed. http://www.hartmann.com/shop/product...collection=all

They are not inexpensive, but you can often find them on Ebay for 1/4 the price of new. I purchased the Intensity (nylon) for less than $200.00 on Ebay. It looked new. New price is at least $650.00.

You can use your regular wire hangars in the bag. I very often put my stuff right from the dry cleaners, covered in cleaning bags, directly into the suitcase. I can conveniently pack for a two week trip, with three formal nights (and long beaded gowns), in one suitcase plus a carryon. Very few wrinkles.

This last Saturday, with 5 formal gowns (all long and beaded), 5 pairs of shoes, and all my day clothes except for sweaters and tops, my suitcase weighed 53.5 pounds. I took out my leather jacket from the side pocket and the weight was EXACTLY 50 pounds.

Suitcases are EXTREMELY well made and have a lifetime warranty. Best garment bags I have ever purchased. I have a Samsonite and a Pierre Cardin. Neither are half the suitcase the Hartmann's are.

So, is your February cruise cancelled?

Sorry to read you don't enjoy cruising, but yes, this board is a great place to come and read, so many nice people here :) !

My first cruise was this past April, 2006. That was the one I didn't like, and part of it was that we went for spring break and there were just too many kids and I was responsible for a good portion of them :eek: I keep pretty firm control on the kids making sure they are well-behaved. What a chore! I didn't relax until we left the last port and everyone was aboard!

My second cruise was such a spur of the moment decision. I decided to take my youngest daughter away for her week off in fall, and since I'd be by myself I chose the structure of a cruise. I had a much more relaxed time, but was disappointed with the food and the ship just seemed a bit too populated for us. I'm trying a third time!!! My DH, DD and I are going on a 10 day cruise to scout out the Southern Caribbean. The ship is smaller and will be a more sedate crowd ;)

I think we will love this one! Thanks for your suggestion to try this board over the general 'ask a cruise question' board,

Archived