APEC summit in Santiago in November

shmabbies

We're going to be en route to BA in November and in poking around I've learned that APEC (Asia-Pacific Economic something or other) is going to be meeting in Santiago from November 14-21. President Bush is expected to attend, among other world leaders, and the website I've been reading anticipates the security conditions in Santiago to be "fortress-like." I haven't seen any mention of this on these boards but thought those of you who might be in Santiago in conjunction with a South American cruise during this time might want to begin exploring this issue.

We held the APEC meeting here in Melbourne a few years ago and I know there were quite a few riots etc. Not bad by world standards but by our standards it was not a pleasant area to be in. The police were there in force with their horses and people were throwing things at them.

I read when it was on in Canada a few months ago or could have been last year, that there were riots. I would find out where it is actually being held in Santiago and just stay away from that area.

Jennie

As mentioned in my post, it's November 14-21. I was thinking of the airport situation initially (my Mom was at a Spanish airport simultaneously with one of our presidents pre 9-11 and it was not a pretty situation so I was thinking this could be a problem). But in hearing more about the security being taken for the Democratic convention in Boston and specific areas being totally closed off, I was thinking the same might be done in Santiago. Avoiding an an area is fine and wise if you live there but if you have just one or two days pre or post cruise and the area you want to tour is closed off, it would be an unhappy situation! Also, hotel space might be at a premium and/or more expensive. :o)

Archived