Food & Drinks in Riviera Ports

Just_Cruising

Hi Folks,

I know there have been some posts on this before but wanted to get some clarification.

I have read before not to take a chance with ice or water outside of the resorts that many cruisers frequent in Cabo, Mazatlan, or PV. What is your opinions on this?

Secondly, what about the food? I read about all you folks going to these restaurants and resorts for lunch and dinnner, however, my wife is very apprehensive to do this (especially with the 7 & 9 year olds) and wants to shoot this down. Seems to me having some meals while there is one of the fun aspects of going into ports.

Thanks for the feedback!!

I've always been like your wife. However, last week we ate at Victor's on the beach in Mazatlan as part of our Randi's Happy Horses adventure. I had read so many great things about her ride and the food at Victor's that I felt safe eating there. It was delicious and we didn't have any problems.

I'll still be very cautious on future cruises. Personally, I'd prefer eating on the ship. The food should be safe and it's already paid for.

Hello!

We have traveled to Mazatlan and Cabo many time both land trips and 2 Mexican cruises. ( 10 day trip to Cabo coming up in October! )

Neither myself or my husband have ever gotten sick form either food or drink. We eat(and drink) at many restaurants and bars in both cities and have been fine.

Just stick to the resort hotel eateries or any of the larger restaurants or bars which will state on the window or in their menu that they use purified water.

All of the big name places are perfectly safe ( Cabo Wabo, Hard Rock, Carlos and Charlies, Senior Frogs, Shrimp Bucket, Shrimp Factory and many many more.)

Just use common sense. No tacos from street vendors for instance. These cities are very tourist dependant and want their visitors coming back year after year like we do.

Enjoy the food, the seafood is incredible and very fresh and have fun!:)

Hola! The water here in Vallarta is rated #1 (for the good!) in Mexico. Any of the hotels/restaurants geared toward tourists will be fine. You need to be careful eating at the street/stands. There ARE some excellent ones...but you probably won't know which ones they are! It is usually the combination of too much sun and alcohol..people get sick and then blame the water. There bodies are in shock!

Cruised the Mexican Riviera last month and will be going back in March 2006! I am a FREAK about food & water and was very cautious. DH calls it paranoia! LOL However, I am glad that I did try the local food as it was delicious. Yes, you can go back and eat on the ship, but part of the ports is experiencing the food too.

In Cabo we ate at Cabo Wabo. They have a special menu on cruise days so you can get in & out faster. I suggest the lobster tacos - DH had the giant burrito. Have a Waborita - yummy!!

In Mazatlan it was excellent food & Pacifico's at Victor's on Stone Island with Randi. DH had the ribs, I had the garlic shrimp. If you go there, be sure to order the onion rings. Too die for! No safety issues here and the breeze from the ocean is first rate. DH has been telling everyone that it is just like those Corona commercials with the couple sitting on the beach just relaxing. It was his favorite excursion.

In Puerta Vallarta we ate at a restaurant on the main street. 2 for 1 drinks and a huge plate of nachos. Very inexpensive & yummy. Others have reported that the restaurant right on the pier when you get off the ship is very good. It was packed all day.

I am a foodie and especially love Mexican food so I can't imagine not eating at the ports and trying the local favorites. Would I have really been in Mexico if I didn't try the local fare? Wouldn't seem like it to me.

I had a hot dog from a street vendor in St Thomas on my Caribbean cruise and lived to tell about it :). However, reasonable caution will be in order for me. I've worked in enough restaraunts to know safe food handling rules and will keep my eyes open for red flags.

My opinion!!

I've never been sicker in my life than I was in PV after having a margarita. We were in a hotel the first day they opened after the hurricane (no name - great place and probably wasn't their fault). Anyway, I suspect the ice - probably purification system wasn't working right yet. Learned a lesson, though - next time beer or coke!

• 4 weeks later...

PVPam,

I am going on the 10/9 Diamond Princess cruise and would love to know what restaurants you recommend in PV. I am looking for a place that has great margaritas and food but is not a wild noisy place like a Senor Frogs.

Thanks for any help you can provide!!

I've been to Mexico 4 times and became seriously ill everytime except our last trip to Cabo. The difference was I never drank the water or had any drink with ice in town and didn't eat any uncooked, unpeeled vegetables. That means no salad. Our house had a reverse osmosis water purification system so it was safe. We ate most meals there and only had two dinners in town. Many people are sensitive to the bugs in the water there and do have to take extreme measures to avoid getting sick. If you're one of them, don't relax your standards because so many people don't get sick. Be careful. I actually had to cut short one trip to Cabo because I was so sick. Good luck!

PVPam,

I am going on the 10/9 Diamond Princess cruise and would love to know what restaurants you recommend in PV. I am looking for a place that has great margaritas and food but is not a wild noisy place like a Senor Frogs.

I can recommend the Blue Shrimp in PV (Pam recommended to me last year) if you are looking for a good meal . The shrimp were fantastic. This is a nice restaurant and not anything like some Senor Frogs. It can be a little pricey, depending on what you order but well worth it.

I've heard a lot about the fantastic seafood, but are there restaurants that do a good job with non-seafood items? My children are allergic to seafood, shrimp especially, and I don't want to risk an allergic reaction! Preferably a place that is more low-key... but good! ;)

Yes, I think the Blue Shrimp is great, and yes, they have other things if you are not a shrimp lover. True, a bit pricey but lots of food and fun setting. Good location in the downtown. If you are here in the evening and want some very authentic Mexican food, then try the Red Cabbage Cafe. If you have ever read Like Water for Chocolate, you will recognize the menu. Recipes from the 1700 and 1800's. No tacos here! Reservation definitely needed. Roberto's on Basillo Badillo is a well known seafood/Mexican food restaurant. Barcelona Tapas is another excellent place...high, high, high on a hill above McDonalds in the downtown. For a view of the city and bay, upscale, try El Palomar de los Gonzales, evenings only. An old villa that has been made into a restaurant. Across from the flea market is El Fuente de Puente. Very well known in Vallarta and a good place to relax and watch the tourists!

Yes, they do servie A FEW non/shrimp dishes. And the margaritas are great! But I would recommend the pina coladas! They are the best in the world. Served in a coconut shell and the kids can have a virgin one. Absolutely delicious!

Thanks Pam!!! I REALLY appreciate all your help!!

Looks like I will need to find another place to eat. My Mom and I are non-seafood eaters. Is Roberto's the next best place for lunch? I have heard of Las Palomas and Pipis..........how do they rate? Unfortunately we will not be able to try some of the other places you recommended since we are not there in the evenings -- we are on the Diamond Princess. But I may need to go to the Blue Shrimp for a pina colada!

One last question.........is it worth going to the tequila factory.....I think it is a Hacienda?? I was thinking of going out there on my own and not through a cruise excursion. But if it is a tourist trap then I would prefer to pass.

Thanks again!!!!!!!!

I've never been sicker in my life than I was in PV after having a margarita.

Must have been a virgin margarita--no nasty bug I know could win a battle with tequila! In fact, just to be sure I don't get sick, the only beverage I drink in Mexico is tequila. And I wash down all my meals with it just to be safe! ;)

In fact, just to be sure I don't get sick, the only beverage I drink in Mexico is tequila. And I wash down all my meals with it just to be safe! ;)

I love that way of thinking!! I think that will be my new plan of action!! Even here in the states! ;)

Smiles - Tina

Pam,

It is named Hacienda Dona Engracia. It is described in one of the Princess excursions as "one of the finest tequila factories in the area. At the hacienda learn first-hand the process used to manufacture the Blue Aqave Cactus into the powerful and legendary tequila Mexico is famous for."

Sound familar? It must be outside of PV because the excursion also states you take a bus ride into the countryside.

Thanks again for all your help! You always respond so quickly!

Jamie

• 2 weeks later...

Getting back to the food comments, I just returned a couple of weeks ago and had a great time. Had a hamburger at one of the hotels, pulled the lettuce off but could not resist the onions and pickles. I have a pretty durable digestive system but have to admit to my lower abdomen have a slight queesy/ gassy feeling for the next week or so. Not a vacation killer but just a little unpleasantness. Maybe it was the Corona's in port. I remedied the feeling with several more beverages on the ship! As other posters have suggested, I would avoid ANY fruit or veggies in the ports.

Have a cab take you from the ship to downtown along the malecon past the town square with the cathedral to the entrance of Cuale Island. About $8 cab for two people. Walk down the staircase to Cuale Island and turn right toward the bay. At the tip is a nice restaurant with decent food and drinks in a relaxing atmosphere with the river on each side and lush landscaping.

I can never remeber the name of the restaurant but I always stop here and have magaritas and/or beers and taquitos and gaucamole.

I will be going there during my November cruise

Steve Hayes

PVPam,

Archived