Uxmal or Chichen Itza...Uxmal on our own? (Cruise in 2 weeks!)

We are cruising the NCL Dream on Jan 20th and want to visit ruins while there. We have heard conflicting reports of people either saying Uxmal or Chichen Itza is THE thing to do while at port in Progresso. I'm not crazy about spending our entire port time traveling to Chichen Itza (and plan to make a land trip to the area within the next few years) but our cruise does not have a tour to Uxmal.

Would you recommend taking the ship's tour to Chichen Itza (I'm not brave enough to travel that far on my own tour...just in case we are running late) or doing our own tour to Uxmal?? Our other option is just to shop and drink on the beach at Progresso and do Tulum ruins in Cozumel. HELP!! We can't decide...

Any other suggestions in Cozumel/Playa Del Carmen? (We are ATVing in Belize...)

While Chichen Itza is great and should be seen I would recommend going to Uxmal if your choosing between the two from Progresso. It is very easy to find your way to Uxmal, the signage and roads are very good. And it's always nice to get out on your own and explore. This is a very safe area with well traveled roads.

If your going to be in Progresso on a Sunday I would suggest going into Merida. They have the streets closed off in the center of town and have lots of live music and dancing and lots of shopping oppotunities. It's a very pretty city on any day though, lots of colonial buildings.

Tulum is lovely and you can't beat the setting. But I would also recommend Coba which is about 1 hour away. The buildings are layed out in the jungle and it has a totally differant atmosphere then the wide open areas of Uxmal and Tulum. There are "Mayan Taxis" available for hire at reasonable rates to tour the site.

Have a wonderful trip!

Carol

• 2 weeks later...

Just off the dream 1/13. We rented a car at the pier and drove to Uxmal. Took and hour and a half and we had plenty of time to see all of the ruins. I've been to Chichen and this was better. The ruins were close together and it was less crowded. We rented from Executive right on the pier. The car selection looked fairly limited so you might want to call ahead to reserve. The map they provide and signs are fine for getting there and back.

• 1 month later...

Archived