Have you ever been left behind in a port, or almost been left behind?

kimsbfl

While on the 3 night Monarch of the Seas, LA to Ensenda, we were travelling with a group of 50 family and friends. One couple missed the ship in Ensenada. Just prior to leaving, we kept hearing their names called over the pa system. Even after leaving, their names were still being called. The rest of us were all concerned because it just wasn't like them to be so careless. Come to find out, somehow, they had it in their heads that the ship left at 6, not 5. As the group leader, I took on the responsibility to pack up their belongings. (Security would have done it, but being a friend, I thought it would be better if I did it. Good thing too, because they had quite a bit of cash in their cabin, and security or not, I wouldn't have trusted them with that.) So, technically, they only got a one night cruise....LOL

2nd incident was last July on the Freedom of the Seas. Our two daughters (26 & 21) took a different excursion than us. It was time for the ship to leave and they are no where in site. As it turned out, the ship was delayed leaving because 97 people were delayed due to excursions running late. Our daughters were 2 of those 97 people. Good thing they took a ships sponsored tour.

I took my graduating college daughter on a western caribbean cruise several years ago. When we stopped at Cozumel for the day, we were suppose to be back on the ship by 9:00pm. The ship sailed at 10:00. We went to Carlos and Charlies. Need I say more? Luckily I saw several of the passengers that were on our ship and told them that they had better get back to the ship. Within an hour of our ship leaving the port that night, they were announcing two young men's names that had not reported back. We saw the parents of one of the boys who had missed the ship teh next night at dinner and they were extremely disgusted at their child. They had to pay for him to fly to Jamaica to catch our next port and put him up in a hotel for two days. Total cost, $1,645.00. Moral of story: If partying in Mexico, have someone in the party stay sober as not to miss your ship.

We missed the Radiance last month in Ft. Lauderdale by minutes. We landed at 4:55 and the ship was departing at 5:00. We had to catch up with it in San Juan, two days later. We had two aircraft that had computer problems on the way down to Ft. Lauderdale. I have a thread about it called "beginner's bad luck..."

Live, learn and then laugh!

Last month in Aruba the ship had just started pulling away as we ran up to the dock. I over heard the Captain ask the dock guy if we were sober, the guy said yes and the Captain had the pilot boat pick us up. Once it caught up with the ship the plan was to jump from the pilot boat to the ships rope ladder hanging down the side. This was a bit unnerving has fast as ship was going (10 kts and accelerating according to the Pilot), it was bouncey with the two wakes colliding and the ladder looked old and frayed. Of course my GF being a fireman jumped and scampered up the ladder flawlessly, so the pressure was on me not to screw it up. They had four big guys holding on to a rope tether looped around me if I fell. I got on but felt I needed to be debriefed afterward. We did get some beers bought for us that afternoon. I've got pics of us from people who were on the ship.

BTW: The reason we were late is a flat tire at the natural pool area, a very remote and rugged area of Aruba. Changing the flat would not have made us late it was the fact that there were two different sized lugs nuts on the flat tire and the wrench only fit one. Had to flag down other jeeps until some one came up with a adjustable wrench. I always check the spare tire equipment before leaving the lot, but never expected to have two lug nut sizes. From now on I will take the wrench out and and check every nut.

On AOS last November we were in st maarten when the captain told us that they were waiting on one person who was in a taxi on their way back...the husband was waiting by the gangplank. In the end the captain announced that he had enough and couldnt wait any longer and the poor man was still left waiting as we pulled away. I can only presume they had a row or something!!!! It was funny seeing the captain on the bridge ear waving his hands!

No... but...

On our cruise this past December, we missed our plane to get to Florida. Luckily, we were flying down the day before, but were unable to get on another plane.

So we drove 22 hours to florida. We made the ship, but had visions of pulling up to the port just as it was pulling away. ;)

Living on Long Island I'm impressed with your fortitude and what must have been quick thinking. We are flying down the day of so I'm hoping for the best.

Archived