Going to Claica/Playa What Should I Do?

WCURacerCB29

My significant other and myself are going to be on a cruise to Grand Cayman/Calica-PDC in a couple weeks. I have read all over the internet about Calica/PDC. What we would like to do is a little shopping but mainly relaxing on the beach. What is the best way to do this without having to pay $30+ on the ship. We just want to go to a beach, sit in a chair and relax and have a drink or two, no snorkeling necessarily. Just relax. Should I just take a taxi and walk on the beach? Are their boutiques for excursions when we get off the ship? What is the best and or cheapest way we should go about doing this? Any and all help would be appreciated!

My husband and I were in Calica/PDC in Dec. and we just took a cab to PDC, they are lined up outside the ship. The cost was $10 each way no matter how many passengers. They will drop you off in the shopping district, which has beach access and there are quite a few nice bars on the beach. Also, when we were in line waiting for the cab they had a Corona tent set up, needless to say that was a great day.:p :)

Just returned from Calica today..get off ship..go to taxi stand to purchase round trip ticket @ $10 each way to Playa del Carmen -hit beach and shop -14 blocks worth of shops, bars, food etc. Great place ..can't wait to go back!!!!!!! Calica is a old rock quarry-nothing there at all.

How long is the drive from the dock to the city? I am planning to go on an excursion that returns at 3:30, and would like to help "improve the local economy" if there is time, but I don't want to be left on the dock!

Thanks in advance!

Liz

First time we were in Calic/Playa de carmen was last October, just me and my DH, took the taxi into town, did some shopping ( not much good shopping to be honest) but restocked on pharmacy goodies and tequilla, the Carlos and Charlies is boring there, but Senior Frogs is the happening place and right on the water, there is a beach area and a place to rent jet skis right next to Senior Frogs they were asking $65 for 1/2 hour we talked them down to $45. We were NOT impressed with the area. So on that note this time we have booked a private excursion tour that is picking 8 of us up at the ship in calica with a van and taking us on a tour to the cenotes and lagoons and jungle areas not visited much by tourists and they are also taking us to Senior Frogs and some last minute shopping in town before we return to the ship. edventure68@hotmail.com tell Bonnie Ginny and Ray Mann referred you! There are quite a few threads you can read praising this tour, great value for the $$. We booked with them for our next visit to Calica on January 25, '07..........we can't wait to see the REAL Mexican Rivera!!! check it out!

Hope that helps!:o

We just got off the Inspiration Jan 6th to the 11th. We did a tour with Edventure tours which was totally awesome! We have done several excursions privately over the years and this was definetly one of our best. We were with Ed for the day...Tulum, zipline, cenote (too cool to describe) lunch and snorkelling again around the reef and sea turtles. This is the best tour out there. It was the best day of our trip. My suggestion would be to contact these people. When we head back to that area again, they will be my first contact!!

We just got off the Inspiration Jan 6th to the 11th. We did a tour with Edventure tours which was totally awesome! We have done several excursions privately over the years and this was definetly one of our best. We were with Ed for the day...Tulum, zipline, cenote (too cool to describe) lunch and snorkelling again around the reef and sea turtles. This is the best tour out there. It was the best day of our trip. My suggestion would be to contact these people. When we head back to that area again, they will be my first contact!!

• 10 months later...

Been a year and I'm still dreaming of our day in Playa w/Ed, Bonnie & Judy. You can't go wrong. They have the love and respect of everyone they are involved with. There are still things we'd like to see and do. Next time we're flying get an all inclusive and spend more time on the beach and more time with Eduardo & family which, by the way, is anyone who hires him. Thanks Ed for a most memorable time and remember, you're still very welcome on Lake Wisconsin this summer if you guys need a getaway. (the tourist guiding the tourguide) Steve & Roxanne

Been a year and I'm still dreaming of our day in Playa w/Ed, Bonnie & Judy. You can't go wrong. They have the love and respect of everyone they are involved with. There are still things we'd like to see and do. Next time we're flying get an all inclusive and spend more time on the beach and more time with Eduardo & family which, by the way, is anyone who hires him. Thanks Ed for a most memorable time and remember, you're still very welcome on Lake Wisconsin this summer if you guys need a getaway. (the tourist guiding the tourguide) Steve & Roxanne

About how much does the EdVentures tour typically run? Do you think it would be too late to book since our cruise is only in a few weeks? I did E-mail them, but am too anxious to wait~ Sounds a tour of a lifetime!

About how much does the EdVentures tour typically run? Do you think it would be too late to book since our cruise is only in a few weeks? I did E-mail them, but am too anxious to wait~ Sounds a tour of a lifetime!

I contacted Bonnie 2 weeks before my last vacation in the area and had everything set up in a couple of days. While we were on the tour I told Eddie I had been nervous about not being able to get in since I'd contacted them so close to when I wanted to go. He told me that was no problem I could have just shown up. So I'd say go ahead and send off your e-mail.

The prices I was given at the beginning of October are:

Snorkel Tour $50/$35 kids under 12

Zip Line $10/15 for 2 zips

Cliff Jump $5

Tulum $6.50 admission, $35 more if you want a guide

Lunch additional

Monkey Sanctuary a donation is encouraged

Transportation $60 ($70 if North of PDC) up to 4 people. $120-160 for a van with driver.

• 2 months later...

We sailed the Fascination last March and stopped at Calica. We did not do a tour and should have. We were not impressed with Playa Del Carmen. Went to the beach and tried to find some lunch which was poor. Would absolutely do a tour next time. Area is beautiful. Heard from our table mates that the Tulum excursion is incredible. Xcaret is right there on the way to PDC. Enjoy!

Archived