Lunch on Seabourn

BrittaniMV

Happy New Year to everyone!

I have read several posting about the grilled hamburgers and hot dogs for lunch. Truthfully, the prospect of hamburgers and hot dogs for 7 days is not that appealing. I would imagine many people eat lunch in port, but are there any other offerings on board?

Those two choices sound like the SkyGrill, on Deck 8! The dining room, of course, is open for breakfast, lunch and dinner with a variety of selections, and the Veranda (at the stern of the ship), always has a wonderful buffet for both breakfast and lunch (along with cooked to order items). One of the things I loved about Seabourn was its wonderful food, and the selection available. Oh...let's not forget room service, served with a smile!

Jane

I always eat lunch in the dining room. It's very peacefully quiet and they offer a large selection of entrees and salads. I tried the Verandah once, but I've never been a fan of buffets. I will admit that I have grabbed a hot-dog or two from the Sky grill. ;)

Besides the buffet, the Verandah also has a small a la carte menu for lunch. It can get a bit crowded, though, so if you're looking for a quiet table for two the Restaurant is a better bet. As Matt said, it is very tranquil and I've never seen more than 10 tables occupied for lunch. (I'd guess it would be more popular on the cooler, Baltic itineraries.) One day while in St. Barth's, only two other tables were occupied.

The Sky Grill is a good option for those who don't want to change out of their swim suits. If you can't decide, you can usually see all of the lunch menus at the Sky Bar after 10:30 a.m. or so.

johnny

. If you can't decide, you can usually see all of the lunch menus at the Sky Bar after 10:30 a.m. or so.

johnny

Thanks Johnny I wonder where they were... Will check out the lunch menu for the main restaurant on my next cruise.

BrittaniMV, the Veranda at lunch has somebody cooking or carving things. I had the best Mexican food of any cruise up there one lunch... :)

If I remember correctly your trip is in March. I am so sorry your friends had to cancel...but you are in for a treat..and you will meet wonderful people and not be alone unless you choose to be. As for the buffet at lunch, I generaly hate buffets..but the choice is great and I find that I eat less by going to the buffet as their are some "slender" selections. A great way to meet people is to sit at a larger table and let others join you. Lola

I loved the Veranda for lunch. Had shrimp for at least 50 of the 55 days! I enjoy a buffet and chosing whatever I feel like at the time. Of course there were a few times I just HAD to order an extra serve of fries! The carvery was always good, plus the pasta or fish of the day. And of corse a dessert and icecream/sorbet buffet cant be passed up! Only tried the Restaurant once for lunch, we prefered the Restaurant for breakfast....nice and quiet while we were trying to wake up. Only used the Sky Grill twice...once for burgers when we just couldnt be bothered leaving the comfort of the Horizon Lounge (we ate in the airconditioned lounge) and once when we were transiting the Suez Canal....that was a "pie day"....we didnt want to miss any of the canal.....even missed the Galley Lunch that day!:eek:

It sounds like there are plenty of options besides burgers and hot dogs. I have read online and in the materials from Seabourn jeans and shorts are not permitted in the dining room though. What would one wear during the day in the middle of March in the Carribean on cruise but shorts or capris?

I have read online and in the materials from Seabourn jeans and shorts are not permitted in the dining room though. What would one wear during the day in the middle of March in the Carribean on cruise but shorts or capris?

Last month Bermuda shorts were worn in the Restaurant at lunch by at least 2/3 of the diners (probably 3/4 of the men). I, too, noticed the verbiage change in the brochure from 2005 but no one seemed to pay much attention to it - the maitre d' sure didn't turn anyone away wearing shorts ... the Restaurant is nearly empty for breakfast and lunch as it is.

We only ate breakfast in the Restaurant twice but I remember plenty of people wearing shorts then as well. Personally, I would suggest leaving jeans at home if you're taking a Caribbean cruise. There's not too much opportunity to wear them due to the heat during the day and the suggested dress code during the evening (though I spotted a handful of people wearing jeans on the last night).

johnny

We were on the Spirit last year and a member of our party was asked to leave at lunchtime because his shirt had no collar. He promptly went to change but I would say looking at the Italian design pure silk shirt he was wearing it would have cost a few hundred dollars. The waiter was very shy in mentioning this but he had to uphold Seabourn policy. So if you decide to eat in the dining room, after trivia, because the verandah is full, best you get changed first, if you are a man.

Another idea for lunch; if you have a 'special meal' you would like to have prepared, have it at lunch. You can order it the day before and in the dining room, the service is always attentive and prompt. If you want to 'host' a small party, it's easier to do and you can hear each other at the larger tables. And what's better than having an elaborate lunch...and then a stroll and/or nap! <G>

Archived