Car Rental - Ft. Lauderdale/Port Of Miami

We will be flying in to Ft. Lauderdale, staying a couple of days at South Beach and board ship at the Port of Miami. If possible, we would like to get a rental vehicle at Ft. Lauderdale and return it to a location in close proximity to the Port Of Miami. A shuttle from the rental offfice to the Port Of Miami would be great. Does anyone have any suggestions based on their experience doing something like this? Thanks.

DrB

We also will be flying into Fort Lauderdale, we reserved a car and according to the rental company,,Alamo we have to return the car to Miami airport. and they will have a shuttle from there. I have not done this before but this is one of the only options as there is no drop off at the peir for any other rental cars.

hope this helps,,also has anyone ever done this would appreciate any information on how it went to do this.

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=blue]We have done this twice...works like a charm![/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#0000ff]We fly into Fll and rent the car from Alamo...drive to Miami..play in Miami for a few days, drive where we want (usually to the Upper Keys to explore and have lunch)...take the car back to the Alamo at MIA (Maimi airport) take the free Alamo shuttle to the pier...it is great! Then after the Cruise...we do the same thing in reverse...take the Alamo Shuttle to the rent car place...and return it at FLL[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#0000ff]Hope that helps....have fun...(I just print out internet directions to all the places I want to go before I leave home...and that way I dont get lost and can explore the places we want to) :p [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#0000ff]Have fun![/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

Thanks for the tip on Alamo. Last June, we combined travel to/from FLL and a cruise from Miami. We used a car rental office in downtown Miami, because it was close to the port. Going to the ship, we got a ride from downtown and had no problem. However, after the cruise, we took a cab to downtown to get our car, and had to listen to our very rude taxi driver complain bitterly that we were a lousy fare because we were going such a short distance. Next time, I'll use the free shuttle at the airport.

By the way, the last time I was at FLL visiting family near there, I think there was a shuttle from FLL to the Miami airport. If I remember correctly, it was $18 pp one way. In some cases, that might be an option too. I'd check with the FLL airport authority to be sure.

Archived