HAL: Do they have "rikstaffel"?

jocelysue

Sorry about the spelling. Years ago when we crossed from Europe to N.A. , HAL offered a "rikstaffel", i.e. a Dutch rice table with all types of rice and condiments. There were about 23 different items served at one sitting. Mah--velous----Apparently this tradition was brought over to the Netherlands from The East Indies. Do they still have it? Also are those scrumptious Dutch brown breads served for breakfast? Is Edam cheees always on the menu?

Still curious.

i have seen the breads as well as the edam cheeses but for the rice table i havn't seen that in quite awhile i am afraid it to has gone by the wayside of changes and the tradition of excellence that hal states they have. some changes are deeply missed as they brought the cruise experience as to something to really remember. thought new changes are also good makes me keep sailing hal to see what they are up to !!!!!

I wish they would bring back the cheeses in the boutique also. Hope they never get rid of the wonderful breads, I really can make a pig of myself with them. The raisin buns are to die for!!!.......jean

Thanks for your replies to this question. Guess I'll have to learn to "go with the flow".

Our fond memories will stay with us and we'll just have to make new ones. At least there are still the breads to remember. Guess I can always go to Holland. Actually, we had a Rikstaffel in Bali 3 years ago. Maybe, we'll simply have to return.....

Thanks again. Looking forward to celebrating our 40th wedding anniversary on the Veendam going southward from Alaska August 29, a short month away.

Archived