Review: GCT Nile Dec. 17-31

JordanF

We just returned from a two-week trip to Egypt with Grand Circle. In a word: TERRIFIC!

There were four of us: myself (47), wife (49) and two sons (18 & 15). All of us had a great time. My sons loved the trip, even though there was only one other kid (who was 13).

We arrived in Cairo and the next day we were off to see King Tut. The very next day was a big one, with the pyramids, a camel ride, the Sphinx, and two optional trips, to Sakkara and the step pyramid (well worth it) and to the pyramid’s sound & light show (a bit hokey).

The next day was the optional trip to Alexandria, and we enjoyed that trip, which started with a train ride to Alexandria. We say the highlights of that city—the library, a palace, a fort and a Roman ruin.

Another optional tour followed the next day-Spiritual Cairo—this included a mosque, synagogue, two churches and that most “spiritual” of all places—the bazaar. This was our first real taste of bargaining—we overpaid a bit, but got better as the trip went along.

That was it for Cairo—we flew to Luxor the next day and saw two temples: Karnak and Luxor. These were two of the best. We also boarded our ship (the Stephanie--very nice!).

The next day was another optional tour to Dendera Temple. We skipped it and slept in. We chose to walk around town, go to the market and also to the excellent Luxor Museum. That night we were treated to a carriage ride around Luxor.

The next morning we woke at 5 am and headed across the Nile for a hot air balloon ride at sunrise over the Valley of the Kings. This was a highlight for us! We then toured the Valley of the Kings and Valley of the Queens. Then back to the boat and we cast off for Esna. In the morning we toured the Temple at Edfu and then more sailing down the Nile to Kom Ombo—and another Temple and of course, more shopping.

In the morning we sailed for Aswan, arriving early and setting off to see them make papyrus, the Aswan Dam and another temple-(one that had been moved because of the lake created by the dam). In the afternoon, we took a sailboat ride on a felluca.

The next morning some folks took off for Abu Simbal—but we stayed in Aswan and explored the botanical gardens and the Nubian Museum. The next day we flew back to Cairo, and the next day, we flew home.

I could have written a book—but I prefer to answer your questions. I will comment that Grand Circle had this trip very well organized. The tour guides were excellent, and we felt that we received an excellent value for our money.

Hi JordanF

Thanks for the review - my wife and I thought we'd like to take that cruise in the near future. Your comments have encouraged us to pursue it a bit further. How was the temperature? Did any street people bother you? How was the food - any favourites, or things to avoid?

Buck

Thanks for the review. It sounds wonderful.....and I am glad to hear that your two kids enjoyed the trip too. Question....given the region you were travelling in....if you are American, did you feel safe ? I would love to travel to that part of the world, but am a bit leery right now. Your impressions would be most welcomed! :)

It's been a few years since I was in Egypt, (it was post 9/11), but we weren't bothered at all by "street people". The one thing I remember vividly, is when I was taking a picture of a child, when I looked down, then back at my subject, he/she had multiplied by dozens. Children came flocking to the camera, wanting their picture taken. And they never once asked for anything in return. They wanted to practice their English. It still brings a smile to my face.

Denice

Some replies:

Safety: We felt completely safe at all times, even when we left the beaten path. I say this not just as an American, but as a Jewish American! In fact, one of the main lessons our kids were able to internalize is that terrorism really is just caused by a few extremists, and that the rest of the world, including the rest of the Muslim world, just want to live their lives in peace.

Street People: There really were not a lot of beggars. Just a few kids here and there. Vendors can be a bit aggressive, but you quickly learn to deal with that.

Temperature: It was December, which proved excellent for touring. 60s and 70s during the day, 50s at night. I only wore shorts a few times, but was never cold.

Food: Since most meals were included, we ate mainly in the hotels and on the ship. There was a pizza place in the mall across from our Hilton hotel (called Grazie) that was quite good. We generally stayed away from street-type food as we were wary of it. I don't know if we needed to be--we just were.

Thanks so much for your report. We are taking this trip next month with GCT. I was surprised at your ages as I thought GCT only allowed people over 50, but was pleased to hear that younger people were also on the trip.

Do you have any specific recommendations of places to see, what to buy, clothes that were best to take etc.?

Did you use US$ or find that Egyptian money was best in the bazaars etc.

I really would love to have any more information that you feel would be helpful before we leave.

Thanks, Nancy

Nancy--

I believe the minimum age on GCT is 13. However, it is true that most travelers are over 50.

As far as what to see--GCT really does take you to all of the major places. The main choices are over which optional trips to take. We skipped Dendera Temple and Abu Simbal. The people that went to them really liked them. On the other hand, we were a bit "templed out," and didn't mind exploring town on our own or just hanging out for a while instead. Some people have been in hot air balloons and saved some money there. We had not, and thought it was a highlight of our trip.

Most places you go will accept dollars or Egyptian Pounds. It is best to have smaller denominations with you, though.

Clothing: Go casual. Our guide wore jeans almost all of the time. Save the space in your bag for purchases.

There are many types of things to buy. My sons favored hookahs, and my wife favored scarves. Things are not very expensive, and there is a fair variety.

Nancy, I read you request for info on Egypt. My wife and I went ot Egypt and Israel with GCT last February and had a wonder ful time. GCT people in Egypt were just great! The great majority of GCT people are over 60 as you heard but things seem to work well with them. We travelled to China the year before with them and it was great and that is from two travellers used to doing things completely on our own.

Egypt was wonderful and the Abu Simbel air trip while expensive was well worth it. We had not booked before we went but talked to the senior person and he got us on. Also, Alexandria was worth it too as were almost all extensions. We just thought the Nile was spectacular and the sites you see too expecially Luxor. Hope you have a great trip and reply if you want addtional information. Gary

P.S. If you stay at the Hilton (Marriot is the other GCT hotel in Cairo), the mall accross the street (not the same as U.S. malls though) has a MacDonalds in addition to the Italian place with pizza the other responder mentioned. We also did not feel threatened in Egypt despite heavy duty security for tourists.

Thanks so much for your report. We are taking this trip next month with GCT. I was surprised at your ages as I thought GCT only allowed people over 50, but was pleased to hear that younger people were also on the trip.

Do you have any specific recommendations of places to see, what to buy, clothes that were best to take etc.?

Did you use US$ or find that Egyptian money was best in the bazaars etc.

I really would love to have any more information that you feel would be helpful before we leave.

Thanks, Nancy

Gary - thanks for the additional information. We have booked the trip to Abu Simbel and am glad to know it is worth the money.

I think we are staying at the Marriott (won't be sure until we get our final information).

How did you find the weather last February? We are planning on taking light jackets as it seems we will need them in the evenings.

Did you take a gift to the home hosted lunch? It is so close now that we are really getting excited.

Any other info you can think of is appreciated.

Thanks again Nancy

Archived