Need New Orleans help.

dblank

We are going out on the fantasy on the 13th which you all no is a big game day for New Orleans. What is the best way around down there to the port we will be coming in from the north on 55. What would be our best route to the cruise ship terminal that day? Thanks ahead for any and all info!

I hope you are right but for a game like that I would think they would get to parking lot as early as possible. Heck for the bears games we get up at five for a noon game so dont no what it will be like for a playoff game.

The Dome is several blocks away and should not interfere with the terminal operations. Go to http://www.portno.com for directions to the terminal. I was there twice today.

Take I-10 east to New Orleans, follow the signs to US90 West. Take exit 11C, Tchoupitoulas St. Take downramp to ground level, be ready to go into the far right hand lane after the first red light, go to second stoplight (Tchoupitoulas St.) and turn right. Go to next stoplight (Henderson St.) and turn left. Go two blocks, go over the railroad tracks and turn left. The Cruise Terminals are directly ahead of you and Harbor Police will be directing traffic.

Dave

Hi jet skier thanks for the info we hope to be there by one and get it all over with early. We are not big city drivers and would be best if we beat anything going on like that. We live in a town with about 400 people in the middle of a cornfield haha. I will say we have driven in much bigger areas i did downtown san francisco last year but just like to no what im coming up against. Thanks again

Thank you again always love the walmart for last minute things. And always need the walmart. I would like to maybe go to margarittaville for a drink before boarding is this way out of the way also or is it very doable? Is Fat tuesdays still down there and up and going? I have not been down there since before the hurricane so am anxious to see everything as we up here in Illinois have no clue what it is still like. Our town sent a truck full of things down after Katrina and hope that someone got something out of it.

Thank you again always love the walmart for last minute things. And always need the walmart. I would like to maybe go to margarittaville for a drink before boarding is this way out of the way also or is it very doable? Is Fat tuesdays still down there and up and going? I have not been down there since before the hurricane so am anxious to see everything as we up here in Illinois have no clue what it is still like. Our town sent a truck full of things down after Katrina and hope that someone got something out of it.

As far as I know most of the places in the French Quarter are back in operation. They were not as affected as other areas of the city.

http://www.fat-tuesday.com/homemovie.html

What you could do is park and turn in your luggage and then take a taxi to Bourbon St. That way you wont be drinking and driving.

Dave

Thanks jetskier we are not drinker drivers definitely learned the hard way on that when i was young and very stupid. 20 years later I no better haha. The dh usually lets me have a drink and then he drives neither of us are huge drinkers but sometimes we like to have one and I love fat tuesdays drinks had them in cozumel last time i was there. But the park and cab idea is great how early can we park for the cruise we are going on? That way we could get an early start on the day and pop into the bourbon street area.

Thank you both so much we will probably be going down there probably arriving pretty early. We are thinking right where 55 and 10 meet we will hit some traffic for the game. Im pretty sure we will do ok not to worried but someone on another thread said bands are starting at the dome at two so I would imagine people will arrive pretty early. So thank you and I hope to get to give something to city that last time I was there I loved and had a great time. Even just buying drinks is a help and I can do that haha.

Thank you for all the information I really do appreciate it. The streetcar sounds fun too. Is it easy to use? Im telling you I live in a town with about 400 people and maybe six stop signs haha! I would love to go around town a short time before the ship leaves and maybe be able to spend a little money. I loved New Orleans the first time I was there and would have loved to stay in town the night before but the hotel rooms are a bit steep for my pockets with the parking and all. We booked this cruise at the last minute and have enough money for fun on the boat but not enough to spend on the hotels and parking down there. Thank you for all info.

The streetcar is very easy. You'll cross the tracks going into the terminal to check in, and there's a stop right near there (you'll be able to see it). I think it's 2.25, maybe 2.50, so just have some small bills on hand for exact change. It'll take you along the river to the Quarter. There are maps at the streetcar stops showing you what all the stops are, and you can see the major landmarks from the streetcar as well (Cathedral, French Market, etc). The Riverfront line isn't all that long, so you can't get too far off course.

Jetskier is correct about the traffic, and there is some construction in that general area (unless it's finished very recently), so you may get caught up a little there, but once you get past the split it should ease up.

Thank you Sadie very good info from you too. I just worry a little as I have not been down there much and dont no the area well. We will do fine I am thinking I would love to hop the street car that would be fun. We rode them out in san fran last year and had a good time. Anyway that depends on when we get down there and into that area if we will have any time or not trying to get in early and get the vehichle parked as quick as we can. Drunk or not in a city that is best for us haha.

I agreed with the reply early in the thread that said don't worry the game isn't until 8 and 1 pm would be fine. Now, I don't think so..... Saints' fever has exploded all over the city.

Many people are already talking about tailgatin' starting today, Friday!!! Others plan to be there at daybreak on Saturday. It's all over nola.com Saints forum and on the local sports radio talk shows, WWL-AM, 870 AM. (Which by the way I would listen to on the way while driving. They will be giving traffic reports thorughout the day on Saturday.)

So, you will probably hit some traffic along the elevated expressway which passes right by the Superdome...once you pass it you should be okay to get to the cruise terminal. However, if you plan on hanging around downtown before the ship departs, keep in mind that there will be crowds EVERYWHERE -- not just by the dome. You'll have folks who will start the party in the French Quarter and stumble their way to the dome. So I would allow extra time to get back to the ship if you go into the quarter.

I would advise anyone sailing tomorrow to arrive early!

When we sailed on the Fantasy last Thursday, we were able to board the ship around 11:30. So if you plan on arriving around 1, you can start your cruise vacation as soon as you get there! Have a drink for me and tell Big Tex hello!

GEAUX SAINTS!

THANK you everyone we are in brookhaven mississippi we stayed here last night. WE WIll be leavin here about ten and going to the ship and stayin there as it seems best thing we could do since we are not the best big city drivers and dont want to miss the ship. So thank you again and we let you no how it went after we get off the ship bon voyage.

Does anybody know anything about this hotel ? We will be going on a Cruise on Norweigen Sun on 04/01/07 & thought we might arrive a day early and check out New Orleans ( Frech Quarter ).This looks like it might be a nice,CLEAN, hotel. Anybody ?????? LEE

• 2 weeks later...

There are lots of hotels that are up and running in the French Quarter area.

We stayed at the Holiday Inn on Royal Street. It is an easy walk to the Quarter. It isn't the fanciest hotel we have ever stayed at, but it was ok for one night.

There is a Sheraton, Holiday Inn, and a Hilton (Riverwalk~very convenient). You can take a trolley from the port area the few blocks to the Farmer's Market for those who can't walk long distances. The ship literally docks at the end of the Riverwalk.

Archived