P&O or RCI

Willum UK

My wife and I have cruised three times so far, each time with Royal Caribbean, and all have involved flights from the UK to the US with cruises around various Caribbean islands. We shall be attending a P&O evening in Nottingham, England next Monday evening (15th) to see what P&O ships have to offer.

Does anyone on these boards have any experience of both lines and various ships? It would be useful to get some views on how the two lines stack up against each other.

Thanks everyone!

Bill

10/04 Sovereign of the Seas - 4 nights - Nassau

11/05 Serenade of the Seas - 7 nights Southern Carib.

12/06 Mariner of the Seas - 7 nights Western Carib

Hi Bill,

We have travelled on RCI to the Caribbean on Explorer and because of immigration hassles we would prefer to do the Caribbean with P&O simply to avoid this sort of thing.

Certainly, we would avoid a back-to-back cruise, as our changeover day experience was not good, in fact it was awful.

The P&O Caribbean fly cruises generally fly in and out of Barbados and it is a fairly stress free process, especially as you can fly from local airports such as Nottm. East Mids.

Luggage is taken from you at the airport and reappears to meet you in your cabin, similarly on your return you will leave it outside your cabin on the last night and meet up with it again at your home airport.

On our last cruise we embarked in New Orleans and because the luggage was packed in bonded containers it was no trouble at all.

If effectively losing a day of your holiday in the middle is not a problem then there is little difference between the two lines as far as standards go.

Obviously, the P&O ship is geared towards British tastes with regards to food.

The quality of food was variable, we had a particularly bad leg of lamb which was ‘tough as old boots’ – the head waiter’s solution was to bring a steak knife LOL – but it truly was inedible, other meals were fair and some really good – it’s pot luck on your choice and whether the chef’s having an off day.

On RCI I suppose the same goes – on both lines they will replace any dish you’re not happy with but let’s face it no one’s going to die of starvation on a cruise ship and maybe it did us good to miss the odd main meal!

We had an excellent meal at Arcadian Rhodes (extra charge).

Tea and coffee making facilities in all cabins with biscuits regularly replenished and P&O allow passengers to bring alcohol onboard for consumption in your cabin.

Entertainment is very much on a par although obviously being on a British ship quizzes will have questions you are more likely to be able to answer e.g. sporting questions regarding football and cricket and not baseball or American football.

Staff on both lines are friendly and efficient and tours offered are very similar in content and cost.

As I said earlier I would avoid RCI/Celebrity/Princess etc. in the Caribbean but happily sail on them to the Med and Baltic.

The P&O ships in the Caribbean give you a choice between family ships and child free – one good thing about the child free was that there were no crying children / babies on the flights.

There are children’s activities organised on P&O which apparently are very good, although I’ve not had any personal experience of them.

Formal nights are very well observed on P&O, on a table near us on Explorer we witnessed flip flops on a formal night which was not very edifying, plus the usual shorts, baseball caps and T shirts. RCI seemed reluctant to enforce the dress codes.

No rock climbing walls or ice rinks on P&O, I enjoyed going ice-skating on the Explorer.

Any holiday is what you make it – go along to the P&O evening and no doubt there will be many other cruisers you can chat to, who have experienced other lines.

I hope this has helped – but bear in mind you could elicit a response from someone else totally at variance with mine! It’s all down to individual opinions!

icon12.gif

Hi Willum

Having cruised with P&O for many years- and been very happy with them, we decided to try out RCI and Princess last year. There is no comparison! I would echo completely what Glenndale says.

P&O certainly is our chosen cruise line, however, of course it isn't perfect and are well aware of the general feeling of declining standards on all cruise lines as they try to cope with masses.

We found RCI (Splendour of the Seas) a bit on the noisy side, and the food a bit like a BHS on a Saturday lunchtime!

I would agree entirely with Glenndale about the immigration concerns if you visit any American port. This is why we shall be cruising the Caribbean in the winters back with P&O again - it really it effortless, and that is what we like with our holidays.

In actual fact, last year, we felt that we would really like Princess, so booked our three week cruise out of SH on one of their ships, but now having been on a Princess cruise it has made us cancel it. I realise that the ships out of UK may be very different from the Caribbean, but am not prepared to risk wasting hard earned dosh trying it out to be honest!

To get a bit of the P&O "flavour" take a trip over to the P&O Cruise Connections Site - it is a very friendly site with lots of very up to date info/tips, with people writing in from current cruises etc - the downside is that the site can be a little slow!

Hope you can get some balanced views, but feel Glenndale has said probably most of what I would. I may add that if you like more of a British feel to your cruise (in food/entertainment/decor/ambience etc) then stick with P&O - if you are open to a more international menu/brighter decor/maybe a party atmosphere then opt for an American cruiseline. We personally will not choose to go with an American cruise line again after our sampling last year of different cruise lines - but that is purely a personal opinion. In addtion to the poor food choices/noisy areas the overall experience with a ship full of Americans wasn't good. Oh well! Each to our own as they say! If you go to the review section - then onto Crown Princess, you can take a look at our review, along with several other different experiences.

Happy cruising:)

Glenndale and UK Family

Thanks for the responses. I shall see what the Nottingham evening brings.

As for immigration I've not had any problems, but then I haven't chosen the fly/cruise option. I've always taken a scheduled flight some days before, and perhaps I've just been lucky but we have gone straight through. One tome in fact we were the first into a completely empty immigration hall!

American cruise ships have a "can do" attitude amongst the staff, and if we choose to go with P&O (who have some better itineries in my view) I hope that they have the same attitude.

Thanks again, oh and noticing that Glenndale is based in Leicestershire and me being a season ticket holder at Welford Road, this could inluence my decision LOL

Bill

Hi Bill

Having just come back from our first P&O cruise I can offer you my opinion!

We usually cruise with Celebrity and have been on RCI a couple of times too.

As you are aware, one of the best things about RCI/Celebrity is the fact you can book cruise only and sort out your own flights and save a considerable amount of money at the same time.

We chose to cruise on the Arcadia because the itinerary was fantastic (Panama and Mexican Riviera) and it is a child free ship.On the whole we enjoyed the entertainment better than the American ships and also liked the fact that they don't add a 15% gratuity to their drinks prices, plus they allow you to take booze onboard! Also liked the tea making facilities in the cabin.

The only area which I felt did not compare as well to RCI was the buffet restaurant. At lunchtimes it was very hard to find a table and it had the feel of a canteen about it. The choice of food was also far less than on the american ships, no sushi bar or tapas and no midnight buffets, having said that we certainly did not starve and always enjoyed our meals in the main dining room and if you are a curry lover theres always a different one on the menu every day!

P&O use charter flights which sound good on paper but we felt a bit like cattle at times! If they gave you a discount for booking your own flights it would be better.

Most of the wait staff and cabin stewards are from Goa, and are generally very pleasant, and the recommended tipping amount is about half of RCI as they pay their staff a higher basic wage, which explains the extra willingness to please on the American cruise lines!

Personally we quite like to chat to the Americans, in fact we have become great friends with an American couple we met on a cruise. I'm sure all nationalities have their good and bad points!

In conclusion we would cruise on the Arcadia again if the right itinerary at the right price comes along but I would also say the same for RCI/Celebrity although I wouldn't do a Christmas cruise on RCI as I have heard they are full of kids!

By the way I was born on Leicester if that helps!

Enjoy your cruise evening and if you see a good deal go for it!

Hi Bill

Having just come back from our first P&O cruise I can offer you my opinion!

We usually cruise with Celebrity and have been on RCI a couple of times too.

As you are aware, one of the best things about RCI/Celebrity is the fact you can book cruise only and sort out your own flights and save a considerable amount of money at the same time.

We chose to cruise on the Arcadia because the itinerary was fantastic (Panama and Mexican Riviera) and it is a child free ship.On the whole we enjoyed the entertainment better than the American ships and also liked the fact that they don't add a 15% gratuity to their drinks prices, plus they allow you to take booze onboard! Also liked the tea making facilities in the cabin.

The only area which I felt did not compare as well to RCI was the buffet restaurant. At lunchtimes it was very hard to find a table and it had the feel of a canteen about it. The choice of food was also far less than on the american ships, no sushi bar or tapas and no midnight buffets, having said that we certainly did not starve and always enjoyed our meals in the main dining room and if you are a curry lover theres always a different one on the menu every day!

P&O use charter flights which sound good on paper but we felt a bit like cattle at times! If they gave you a discount for booking your own flights it would be better.

Most of the wait staff and cabin stewards are from Goa, and are generally very pleasant, and the recommended tipping amount is about half of RCI as they pay their staff a higher basic wage, which explains the extra willingness to please on the American cruise lines!

Personally we quite like to chat to the Americans, in fact we have become great friends with an American couple we met on a cruise. I'm sure all nationalities have their good and bad points!

In conclusion we would cruise on the Arcadia again if the right itinerary at the right price comes along but I would also say the same for RCI/Celebrity although I wouldn't do a Christmas cruise on RCI as I have heard they are full of kids!

By the way I was born on Leicester if that helps!

Enjoy your cruise evening and if you see a good deal go for it!

Willum you may not be aware that in 2007 Royal Caribbean are stationing a ship in Dominca and are doing non-stop charter flights from the UK to the ship rather like P&O organise to Barbados. So passengers will not have to deal with US immigration. It also means that the ship is well positioned for 14 night cruises in the Eastern Caribbean.

We have sailed on RCCL and P&O twice among the 18 cruises we have enjoyed. As people have said P&O taylor their menus to British tastes whereas RCCL normally tailor theirs to American tastes though they change to British tastes for sailings from Southampton so they may do likewise for the Dominica sailings. Personally we find most Americans very polite and sociable and few moan like some British passengers do. If things aren't right they speak up and get it fixed. RCCL is a bit noiser environment in our experience than P&O ships with more background music and more announcements. For that reason we prefer their sister line Celebrity which is definitely a step up from both RCCL and P&O.

By all means give P&O a try. We enjoyed our cruises and plan more with them. Unlike some we love Arcadia though our next cruise is on Aurora to try it out. We also liked Oceana which is sister ship of Sun Princess and we like Princess cruises as well. We prefer Princess really to RCCL and have a 2008 cruise from Sydney to Los Angeles booked on Sapphire Princess. As you can see we enjoy experiencing various cruise lines. We now have our preferences but have only dropped Carnival from our future plans.

I would agree with most that has been said.I've cruised on both lines but not in the Caribbean.We liked the staff on RCCL and thought they were more friendly than P&O overall but the food and entertainment is more suited to British tastes on P&O.However,the entertainment is more standardised on RCCL I would say on P&O you can have some excellent acts and some pretty awful ones.It's probably the FEEL that you will notice most difference in.RCCL is more informal and P&O a bit more formal though I believe that is toned down on Caribbean cruises because you can't carry too many posh items half way round the world.Whatever you decide,enjoy your cruise!

With Rci now sailing from Southampton in the Summer I would would think it is worth a try.

I am sailing in July on the Navigator for a med cruise, I have been many times on P&O ships and a few times on Fred Olsen.

Many people i have spoken to say Rci is better in many areas and stadards are sliping on P&O. I will wate and see.

I will write a full report on my return!!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Willum,

How did your P&O evening go?

Did you speak to others who helped you appreciate the differences between the different lines?

I've never been to one of these type of evenings before and wondered whether they were worthwhile.

Also, did they offer any decent cruise discounts?

Happy cruising!

• 3 weeks later...
Hi Willum,

How did your P&O evening go?

Did you speak to others who helped you appreciate the differences between the different lines?

I've never been to one of these type of evenings before and wondered whether they were worthwhile.

Also, did they offer any decent cruise discounts?

Happy cruising!

Hi Glendale, Sorry for the delay I've been in hospital for a while.

The evening was very much "Look at us we're the biggest in the UK" There were some discounts available and they got bigger the more you spent. I did ask if they (P&O) were prepared to sell me a cruise only without the air travel, answer "Yes! but no reduction in price". I also asked what P&O could give me that RCI could not, and beyond the one word "Britishness" they couldn't offer anything. When I asked what they meant by "Britishness" they couldn't answer that either. So all in all I wasn't that impressed.

I intend to book Jewel of the Seas in November

The evening was very much "Look at us we're the biggest in the UK" There were some discounts available and they got bigger the more you spent. I did ask if they (P&O) were prepared to sell me a cruise only without the air travel, answer "Yes! but no reduction in price". I also asked what P&O could give me that RCI could not, and beyond the one word "Britishness" they couldn't offer anything. When I asked what they meant by "Britishness" they couldn't answer that either. So all in all I wasn't that impressed.

Oh well, Willum - you gave it a fair shot! Rumour has it that the new test for any immigrants will include "What makes P&O British" among the questions!! :D Happy cruising on Jewel of the Seas - remember to come back and tell us all about it!

PS - Talking of Brit stuff....if you fancy joining the discussion on the Princess board today, we are chatting "Afternoon Tea" -! - Can't remember taking afternoon tea on Splendour of the Seas last year, but you could check out the Jewel.

Hi William

We have sailed both RCI and P&O. We sailed RCI 2004 and P&O 2005 - needless to say in 2007 we are going with RCI. Regarding the "Britishness" that P&O always rant on about - that seems to be all things relating to the War judging from our cruise with them. We were almost expecting powdered egg for breakfast. If P&O think that their cruisers want a British experience and that means singing "Knees up Mother Brown" and "We'll meet again!" (I kid you not :eek: ) then we will take our British pounds elsewhere. If they mean "Britishness" because we brits accept lower standards and dont complain then they are half way there. (We did complain).

Basically we found them to be over priced and over hyped for what they offered. If what we received was Britishness, then I am ashamed to be British!

Hi Willum

I think you have made a good choice with Jewel of the seas, she is a lovely ship, has the wow factor without being too over the top!

Glad we experienced P&O Arcadia though, had we heard the word "Britishness" we may not have booked!! I like to think we are a bit more cosmopolitan than that!!! Although I always did have that image of the older P&O ships I must admit.

I think they are trying to appeal to more modern cruisers with Arcadia, trouble is the P&O traditionalists don't appreciate it, which is probably why we quite liked it!

Hi Willum

I think you have made a good choice with Jewel of the seas, she is a lovely ship, has the wow factor without being too over the top!

Glad we experienced P&O Arcadia though, had we heard the word "Britishness" we may not have booked!! I like to think we are a bit more cosmopolitan than that!!! Although I always did have that image of the older P&O ships I must admit.

I think they are trying to appeal to more modern cruisers with Arcadia, trouble is the P&O traditionalists don't appreciate it, which is probably why we quite liked it!

Made the booking for Jewel of the Seas out of Fort Lauderdale yesterday (Yes!!) and got a terrific price on a D1 balcony cabin. I have been reading a number of comments about the cramped aircraft P&O use for their fly cruises - borne out by a friend who has just got back from the Barbados to New Orleans cruise and complained of being "packed like sardines" on a Monarch aircraft. Having checked Virgin and BA prices to Florida and found that they are significantly LESS than charter flights with Thomson, First Choice, Thos Cook etc. I can look forward to an 8 day fly cruise in the Caribbean which for scheduled flights and a superior balcony cabin will cost me just £800.

Hi willum

Thats the way to do it!!!

We always arrange our own flights when doing a RCI/Celebrity cruise, saves a fortune! I booked us on the Constellation 11 night repositioning cruise from New York to Fort Lauderdale in November for about £900 per person in a balcony cabin including flights on BA into NY and out of Miami. Much cheaper than booking a package plus you can arrange your flights so you can have a few days pre or post cruise stay.

We have just come back from visiting friends in the US and the scheduled flghts seemed like luxury after our recent long haul epic with the Thomas Cook cattle class!

Have a great time

Lisa

I have been reading this thread with interest and share the views of cruiselover.

After our first time cruise with NCL we were hooked and althought the Norway was very old the cruise experience was terrific for standards of service, cleanliness, staff and food.

Princess was also excellent in these areas but with some differences - mainly personal taste and we loved the line.

When we sailed P&O we thought we had finally arrived in the cruising world - we were going to cruise with the best of the best - Not So!

We found the food acceptable quality but boring, the staff unfriendly and the service poor compared to our previous cruises. I felt occasionally

- as I often do in England - that I should be grateful that I was being served.

No point discussing entertainment, tea in rooms, gratuities, better immigration etc if the basic cruise essentials are missing or inferior. It depends how each of us measures our experiences but we will never sail P&O again. I like to think we are a little more cosmopolitan now, we like to mix with passengers from different countries and have met some super American people. We found also that there were a lot of passengers on P&O who seemed to be well in tune with this Britishness business which was not pleasant to witness - we heard many rude retorts to staff and saw a lot of unhappy staff members who had been admonished for being too friendly with passengers.

We then found Celebrity and had a wonderful time - yes the entertainment is not quite the British taste like any American line

and no there are no tea making facilities but there isn't supposed to be - but for service excellence by staff who really do go the extra mile and a wonderful dining experience in a friendly atmosphere where the dress codes are observed by the majority and rules upheld by the line then Celebrity wins for us with Princess a close second.

We have not tried RCI yet but plan to do so and we will definitely book the cruise and flight separate in future.

I think you made a good choice Bill.

We have no Lincoln connections other than we used to live in Norfolk for many years and now regularly travel through from Manchester to see our family.

Gail

I have been reading this thread with interest and share the views of cruiselover.

After our first time cruise with NCL we were hooked and althought the Norway was very old the cruise experience was terrific for standards of service, cleanliness, staff and food.

Princess was also excellent in these areas but with some differences - mainly personal taste and we loved the line.

When we sailed P&O we thought we had finally arrived in the cruising world - we were going to cruise with the best of the best - Not So!

We found the food acceptable quality but boring, the staff unfriendly and the service poor compared to our previous cruises. I felt occasionally

- as I often do in England - that I should be grateful that I was being served.

No point discussing entertainment, tea in rooms, gratuities, better immigration etc if the basic cruise essentials are missing or inferior. It depends how each of us measures our experiences but we will never sail P&O again. I like to think we are a little more cosmopolitan now, we like to mix with passengers from different countries and have met some super American people. We found also that there were a lot of passengers on P&O who seemed to be well in tune with this Britishness business which was not pleasant to witness - we heard many rude retorts to staff and saw a lot of unhappy staff members who had been admonished for being too friendly with passengers.

We then found Celebrity and had a wonderful time - yes the entertainment is not quite the British taste like any American line

and no there are no tea making facilities but there isn't supposed to be - but for service excellence by staff who really do go the extra mile and a wonderful dining experience in a friendly atmosphere where the dress codes are observed by the majority and rules upheld by the line then Celebrity wins for us with Princess a close second.

We have not tried RCI yet but plan to do so and we will definitely book the cruise and flight separate in future.

I think you made a good choice Bill.

We have no Lincoln connections other than we used to live in Norfolk for many years and now regularly travel through from Manchester to see our family.

Gail

After 8 cruises with P & O I do not recognize the description in your middle para. We have never found any unfriendly staff or staff being admonished for being too friendly. All the staff we have come across have been excellent. And If I was witness to any passenger being rude then they would get a backlash from me.

Dai

Yes we did comment to the passengers concerned and I also accept that one bad experience in one area on one cruise does not constitute a poor cruise line.

I was trying to point out that after the American cruise lines the service standards on P&O and the dining experience and the whole atmosphere on board just didn't measure up - not in isolated incidents but generally across the ship for the whole 2 weeks and it is for this reason that we will be hesitant to sail with them again.

Perhaps there may be a time that the itinerary tempts us to try again but we have sample Celebrity and it works fo us.

It is also interesting that all the die hard P&O aquaintances and friends

that we have - none of them have ever sailed with an American or any

other line. I am always telling them that they would be agreeably surprised.

Gail

.... which appears to confirm, to some extent, some of my thoughts about P&O (although I accept that, not yet having cruised with P&O, I don't really know about it).

We certainly enjoyed our experiences with a very largely american shipload of passengers on Galaxy last June (and we have booked on Galaxy again for next June), and also with a shipload of europeans on MSC Sinfonia in May 2005. I have to say that the prospect cruising on a ship that keeps harping on about 'Britishness' doesn't appeal.

But that may just be my prejudices showing. I know I wouldn't enjoy the slog down to the Med & back from Southampton (with any cruise line, not just P&O) but we might still book a 7-night short cruise with P&O in 2008, either Atlantic coast or fjords.

How typically 'P&O' are the 7-night cruises compared with the longer ones?

• 1 month later...
just joining in and would be interested hear how P&O compare as far as drinks prices, embarkation, excursion costs etcetc

Hi Madkitty,

Was it the roundabouts in MK which sent you mad by any chance. We have friends in Bletchley and all I can say is that it is a good job I have a good sense of direction.

With regard to P&O v RCI I am not sure how excursion costs compare but in the Caribbean on Arcadia in October, the half day versions ranged between £36 and £16. the £36 was on Antigua and we got a local taxi with another couple for $25 each and as far as I could tell we had the same trip.

In the UK P&O have improved their embarkation which now starts at about 12.30 and most people are on board in time for lunch. I am understand that most people go straight on to the ship after formalities have taken place.

Drinks prices on P&O are among the lowest at sea with most bar prices being lower than pubs on shore. Eg a pint of Stella is £2.50/60 and a G&T is about the same. Beer is about £2.20. A bottle of Gin for your cabin in £10.00 and of course you can take as much booze on board as you like.

With regards to enjoying your cruise on P&O, I do not think anyone can help you there. It is up to you. If you are positive about the cruise and are determined to have a good time then you will.

I get the impression that some people who have posted bad comments about a P&O cruise, or indeed other cruise lines, have been looking for problems before they went and so when they find something they do not like, they can justify to themselves their dislike for that company. Some of their complaints have been extremely trivial.

I think you get out of a cruise what you put into it, be positive and you will have a whale of a time. Be negative and you will be cruising on the worst cruise ship on the planet.

You certainly sound like the first sort so pick your cruise and have a great time.

:):)Happy Cruising:):)

:cool:

Dai

LOL I dont get why everyone moans about the roundabouts and getting lost whn its impossible to do so :confused: mind you i think if i had the choice between MK and the caribbean that'd be tough :D

Archived