Green Card

Jane has never been asked to present her native passport (which expired about 20 years ago, I think)

:)

I'm going by your experiences wblynch because you have been through it. I've also told her to bring her student school ID also, can't hurt. Thanks again for the info!

Hi! I think you are incredibly lucky because you sail before January 27th. On that date travel rules will change and all permanent residents must have valid passport for travel along with green card. Check this link http://64.233.161.104/search?q=cache:ONv6UgHk5S0J:www.vacationexpress.com/travel_documents/+travel+requirements+for+non-us&hl=en&gl=us&ct=clnk&cd=11

and dear grandpa didn't finish all the paperwork & the government didn't follow up. He went to the top schools & is getting a scholarship to OSU after graduation & then this happens. Just for a field trip & he has no parents but is 18! They jailed him in September. He had a line of visitors that surrounded the jail in the suburb on Christmas. His home is being paid for by neighbors who love him. So we wait for the new Govenor, Congress & maybe Bush t get involved. To me he is a US Citizen, raised here for 18 years..........

WOW! Hiow long has he been in jail? And all this happened because he was trying to get a passport for a field trip?

and dear grandpa didn't finish all the paperwork & the government didn't follow up. He went to the top schools & is getting a scholarship to OSU after graduation & then this happens. Just for a field trip & he has no parents but is 18! They jailed him in September. He had a line of visitors that surrounded the jail in the suburb on Christmas. His home is being paid for by neighbors who love him. So we wait for the new Govenor, Congress & maybe Bush to get involved. To me he is a US Citizen, raised here for 18 years..........

WOW! Hiow long has he been in jail? And all this happened because he was trying to get a passport for a field trip?

No matter what, don't let her miss the ship when it is on port. It may be a problem for her to get back to the USA by plane with out a passport. I have a permanent green card myself, when we cruised in 05' the port of Galveston asked for both my passport and green card and inspected it for about 10 mins. They are more carefull nowadays. Good luck!!! Also make sure you have a certified birth certificate with her. You will need a legal release from both her parents, not just one parent to get her out of the country.

No matter what, don't let her miss the ship when it is on port. It may be a problem for her to get back to the USA by plane with out a passport. I have a permanent green card myself, when we cruised in 05' the port of Galveston asked for both my passport and green card and inspected it for about 10 mins. They are more carefull nowadays. Good luck!!! Also make sure you have a certified birth certificate with her. You will need a legal release from both her parents, not just one parent to get her out of the country.

I called Customs & Immigration, they RECOMMEND you have a valid passport but won't enforce it until 23 Jan 07. We get back on 20 Jan, right under the wire. I've spoke to RCI about 10 times and each time, they have ASSURED me that her green card and birth certificate are all they will require. I am getting the Minor Consent Form notarized today and make copies to take with me. Thanks for the advice.

I noticed we are to surrender our Green Card to the purser. I do ndot like that at all. Is this really true??

Viking, I"ve seen several posters say that also. But again they said they got it back at the first island they arrived at. I wish we could get easy to read language on what RCI's rules are. But like I said, I spoke to about 5 to 6 reps and they ALL told me the same thing. There was another poster that told me his wife always used her green card when traveling; 6 RCI and 1 Holand cruise to date. I know that the rules are changing 23 Jan 07 and then it will be a totally different ballgame for all of us, including US citizens.

This is just as in the former Eastern Europe where you left your pasport with the receptionist at Hotels.

We will not go to any US islands, so I guess they keep it for the duration of the trip. I can not see any reasons to keep it as they should have checked all passengers with ICE before departure.

I am ready to cancel my trip on 1/15 for this reason but my wife says NO WAY.

I found this link about Non-US citizens being able to use their Legal Residency cards for cruising until 23 Jan 07. I'm carrying a copy of the memo with me just in case we run into any issues. Wow this is great news for me and my daughter's friend! Happy Cruising to me and us!

http://www.travel.state.gov/pdf/WHTI%20Tear%20Sheet%20-%20One%20Page2.pdf

• 2 weeks later...

FYI, just to let everyone we had absolutely NO problems using my daughter's friend's Legal Residency Card (green card) on our cruise recently. When we went to the port to board, they made a copy of it and never asked for it again until we got off the ship at immigration. They also didn't ask for a copy of the Minor Consent form but did tell me to keep it in case of an emergency.

Archived