Please Help -- Repositioning cruise

First let me appologize to those of you who manage to get around to all of the threads on this board. I posted this same question in the General Questions section but I need an answer quickly and this is an RCI cruise.

My wife and I are looking at a Pacific Coastal repositioning cruise on RCI from LA to Vancouver (5 day with stops in San Fran, Victoria and Vancouver).

Is this type of cruise the same as any other type of cruise? In other words, has anyone noticed a difference shipboard with the entertainment, crew, etc? I worry a bit because this is a once a year type of thing for this ship (Vision of the Seas).

We have only done one cruise before (Carnival Ecstasy, 4-day, Catalina/Ensenada) and enjoyed it. This is our 20th Anniversary.

Other cruises we are considering:

7-day Mexican Riviera (same date -- Carnival or RCI)

9-day Alaska sampler and Pacific Coastal (September return of same ship)

I look forward to the advice from you experienced cruisers!

Thank you!

We love to do repo cruises........price is always a little cheaper. The crew, service, food, etc..........will be the same. It looks like this repo cruise is going to take Vision up to Vancouver to start the Alaska season. I would take it in a heartbeat..........in fact, I would book to do a b2b and stay on the ship and do the first Alaska itinerary......that's if you have the time.

Happy Anniversary and have a wonderful cruise.

First let me appologize to those of you who manage to get around to all of the threads on this board. I posted this same question in the General Questions section but I need an answer quickly and this is an RCI cruise.

My wife and I are looking at a Pacific Coastal repositioning cruise on RCI from LA to Vancouver (5 day with stops in San Fran, Victoria and Vancouver).

Is this type of cruise the same as any other type of cruise? In other words, has anyone noticed a difference shipboard with the entertainment, crew, etc? I worry a bit because this is a once a year type of thing for this ship (Vision of the Seas).

We have only done one cruise before (Carnival Ecstasy, 4-day, Catalina/Ensenada) and enjoyed it. This is our 20th Anniversary.

Other cruises we are considering:

7-day Mexican Riviera (same date -- Carnival or RCI)

9-day Alaska sampler and Pacific Coastal (September return of same ship)

I look forward to the advice from you experienced cruisers!

Thank you!

We did the 9n Vision reposition cruise in Sept. 2006. Great cruise. IMO, these repositioning cruises are good values. I felt like we got 9 d of value for the cost of a 7d cruise. Added port stop in SF was awesome Also, we only paid airfare 1 way, and used the money savings to stay 2 days pre-cruise in Vancouver. This year we are doing 9/2 Repositioning transcanal, and 11/5 repositioning TransAtlantic westbound. Each time with only 1 way air. We are traveling on RCI and take advantage of savings certs, discounts, credits, etc. but we are in the C & A program for past cruisers. Carnival offers past guest discounts, you should qualify for those already. If you decide on RCI make sure to join C & A to start to qualify for those savings.

We love the coastal repositioning cruises, although we've done all of ours on Princess. The longer the cruise, the more traditional the experience will be - we've done the 3-night nonstops that are fun, but lack some of the events that are normally held, such as a Captain's reception or repeater's party. The longer (7+ nights) cruises are just like a regular cruise. And we've done a couple of short cruises on Vision where we have had a Welcome Aboard party on formal night, so perhaps that was just a Princess thing.

We're doing the 14 night repo on Radiance in September - a 7-night Alaska, then down the coast to LA, and I have a feeling they'll be dragging us off the ship in LA!:D And the value is terrific - we're paying just about what it would cost to take a 7-night cruise to have 14!

Love, love, LOVE repos!!! As a previous poster said, everything is just like a regular cruise with the added benefit of the upbeat crew. We have done 3 Pacific Coast repos (2 night, 3 night and 7 night) and are booked on the Serenade for a 7 night in May. We love the Pacific NW, so this is a fabulous way to get there. And since we're leaving out of SF, we only have to fly home.

Just did a 12 night repo (Boston to FLL via the Caribbean) and it was fantastic. Another benefit is the pricing.....you can splurge on a really nice stateroom at these prices.

Love, love, LOVE repos!!! As a previous poster said, everything is just like a regular cruise with the added benefit of the upbeat crew. We have done 3 Pacific Coast repos (2 night, 3 night and 7 night) and are booked on the Serenade for a 7 night in May. We love the Pacific NW, so this is a fabulous way to get there. And since we're leaving out of SF, we only have to fly home.

Just did a 12 night repo (Boston to FLL via the Caribbean) and it was fantastic. Another benefit is the pricing.....you can splurge on a really nice stateroom at these prices.

Thanks to all of you. It looks like we will be booking this! I have done a good deal of reading on this forum about RCCL and am looking forward to the experience on the Vision and this repo cruise. We are in so cal so the only flight will be return. Some of you talk about how this makes it affordable enough to upgrade your cabin. For us, it makes it affordable enough to make it possible. Funny thing, if we did the 7 day Mexican Riveria we have no air fare, which makes this 5 day only a little cheaper (total out of pocket). But when you factor in what I expect to be lower shore excursion costs I think it will save us even more.

I will keep reading posts and trying to learn some tricks from all of your experience.

I love these west coast repos - I've taken Vision Northbound (essentially exactly the cruise you are taking) and Radiance Southbound. The cruise, in terms of events etc, is really no different than any other cruise of the same length. There is typically a bit of confusion about port times and scheduling, because they're usually changing over some of the crew, and they're headed for a new set of itineraries. I have always found the crews to be upbeat and friendly. I do find that the seas off the west coast can be a fair bit rougher than you usually encounter in the caribbean, but it didn't bother me - the weather is also typically chillier, particularly as you get further North (obviously, I guess).

My favorite parts of these trips are the stop in San Francisco and the slow sailing into and out of Victoria (you're in a fairly narrow channel)- just beautiful.

Somewhere on the boards, I posted an incredibly long review of my radiance southbound sailing this last fall - a search would probably turn it up.

Archived