Average Age?

sherry1

My husband and another couple are considering a Holland American cruise in Feb or March and I was wondering what the average age of passengers?

Where, and for how long? On a 7-day cruise out of a US port and coinciding with a school break week you could get a lot of families that would bring the average age down. On a 10-14 day cruise out of a European port you will see mainly retired couples in late 60s or early 70s. On cruises of 30 days or longer you will see few under 50! :)

Sherry1,

My DH and I were on the 7 day Zuiderdam 11/05 and there was a mixed age group including parents with young children.

Check out on Roll Calls HAL, 10 day Noordam - April 11, 2007. You will find cruisers from 20's to 50 years old. Right now, we are the oldest in that group.

Happy cruising!

Fireflygal

I am 50 something and have sailed HAL for years, usually in prime school vacation season. Generally speaking, I considered myself to be about the median age on these cruises.

The few sails I have been fortunate enough to be on, during the school year, I think the median is probably in the 65-70 range.

It never made any difference to me.

you are talking Feb or March: Feb, should be mostly adults, various ages but still a little older crowd than most lines; as already mentioned the longer the cruise the older the passengers. If you are talking March, which is spring break for most kids, the age will be younger with families. Officially the average age of HAL cruisers is about 59, but there are so many factors that have to be considered when one uses the term "average"

NMntia

I'll ask a question back.

How old are you and the other couple? Are you the roudy rave type? If so, it may not be for you.

If you are 30 something plus and with another couple. I'd say you really cannot go wrong, but that is me.

First cruise that I was on, I'd ay it was bout 50. But there were plenty of 30 somethings. 20 somethings were not that common and a few teenagers.

There were always some well fit active people to play volleyball with. Hang with or dance around.

I did an Alaska cruise on the Statendam in '05. At age 40, I felt like I was in the bottom 10% with respect to age. It was certainly the oldest crowd I cruised with.

That being said, I thoroughly enjoyed the cruise. I loved the ship, especially the wraparound promenade deck. It was a great place to walk, mostly shelterered from the wind and weather, and a great place to view the glacier if you don't have a balcony (a much better place than where I watched on the X Summit).

As Passover/Easter are late this year (April) I would think that most children will still be in school during March. We're 62 and 57 and booked to go on March 13th.

You may be in for a surprise - Spring break for the schools and colleges in Texas, Mississippi and Colorado and probably many more states happens to be that week.

You may be in for a surprise - Spring break for the schools and colleges in Texas, Mississippi and Colorado and probably many more states happens to be that week.

Chicago is spring breaking is in late March. While I do not think this means wild teens onboard, it does mean there are going to be more kids on HAL and every other cruise line, especially 7 day sails.

Archived