hope not silly ?? about tuxes on cruise?

bluedog123mom

We will be cruising on july 1,07 this summer on carnival legend. My question, bare with me because I have NEVER been on a cruise. Formal attire dinner? I know that guys were suit tie and woman in coctail dres, I have 2 boys 6 & 9, they have tuxes from a previous wedding and I would ove to se them used again but honestly, would they lok or feel out of place? Do peole realy wear tuxes on cruises anymore?

2) room evice is definately free any time, any order? just tips?

3) I heard the workers, room attendents like phone cards as extras? is this true? if so, what kind?

and last. we DEFINATELY want to swim with dolphins, how and where do I book this for best rate. If we do nothing else, this is a must do.

Jackie

We will be cruising on july 1,07 this summer on carnival legend. My question, bare with me because I have NEVER been on a cruise. Formal attire dinner? I know that guys were suit tie and woman in coctail dres, I have 2 boys 6 & 9, they have tuxes from a previous wedding and I would ove to se them used again but honestly, would they lok or feel out of place? Do peole realy wear tuxes on cruises anymore?

3) I heard the workers, room attendents like phone cards as extras? is this true? if so, what kind?

and last. we DEFINATELY want to swim with dolphins, how and where do I book this for best rate. If we do nothing else, this is a must do.

Jackie

First of all, if this is your first post, Welcome. I'm sure you'll find these boards to be an invaluable tool. Take things w/ a grain of salt, though. not everyone has the same opinions and beliefs, and some people just aren't happy with anything. :p

I have rarely seen tuxes on my last (at least 5, i'd say) cruises. and i don't think i've ever seen a child in one. I'm sure your boys wld look incredibly handsome, but if you think they'll feel out of place, then don't worry about skipping it. My boys do not own tuxes. They always wear nice pants and a collared shirt. For formal night, they wear ties (my little one has the cutsie 3 pc vest thing goin' on). DH has a tux, but doesn't bring it.

Room svc is available 24 hrs, but w/ a limited menu. Just add a tip when you sign or hand a buck or two, if you wish. Menu will be in book in your cabin. you can also set out a card (on stateroom door) to be picked up for next morning in-stateroom ltd continental bkfst. this is good (i find) on Port days when we are rushing to get off for an excursion.

i don't give room steward gift card for phone. i leave the automatic tips on my sign and sail acct, then tip a little more in cash when appropriate.

Can't help you w/ the dolphins. haven't done that. you can search the excursions threads for your destination and see if something is there that may help you.

Finally, don't forget to register for Camp Carnival on the first night of your cruise. The boys can go in and out whenever they please. You'll get an hour by hour breakdown of all that's going on in their age groups, for every day of your cruise. This way they can pick and choose what they want to do.

sorry about typos :-) I'm working on laptop and keys are sensitve:-)

We also have 9 year old daughter as well (twins) But she has tons of cute dresses so I wasn't so concerned about her. In the kid camp, will they be seperated by age or can they stay together?

Wasn't sure on the tux thing, thanks for input. Was just thinking I might get one more use out of them.

we are in total traveling in a group of 18, 9 adults and 9 kids from age 6-18.

Can't wait and I am addicted to these boards now!!! I have been on for 2 days now!

Jackie

Tuxes were worn on the Conquest by younger and older men. Suits, shorts and jeans were also seen on formal night. If you would like to put those tuxes on your young sons, go ahead. They will look darling and you will love the pictures. My Dh hated wearing dress clothes on cruises when he wore suits to work everyday. Now that he is retired he is willing to wear, and owns, a tux. Who knew? We have some really great photos that were taken on the ship. We would never go to a photographer at home so I love having these pictures. Have a great trip.

I was curious to read the resposes to this thread. We'll be on our first carnival cruise in september with 5 prior cruises on HAL and princess. I own 2 tuxes just because most of the men onboard do wear them in my experience. Is carnival dressed down to where almost nobody wears a tux? What about the womens attire on formal night? So now Im wondering do I take a tux on my carnival trip? Something else to ponder I guess.

Jackie

Maybe it was because it was Christmas but there were alot of men, young and old dresed in tuxes on our cruise. I would love to see DH in a tux but he didn't even wear a suit for our wedding so I'm not hopeful anytime soon.

By all mean, dress those boys in tuxes and you DH or partner too. Lucky you.:p

My Dh hated wearing dress clothes on cruises when he wore suits to work everyday. Now that he is retired he is willing to wear, and owns, a tux. Who knew? We have some really great photos that were taken on the ship.

I can totally identify with your husband. I'm an accountant, and when I used to work at a large firm I had to wear a suit every day. I never wanted to wear a suit anywhere else. Now I dress casual at work and really enjoy wearing a tux on cruises. Pam likes it too. If she's happy then I'm definitely happy.

By the way, by my recollection, I'd say approximately 30% or so of the men wore tuxes on formal night on our last cruise.

---Bruce

Is carnival dressed down to where almost nobody wears a tux? What about the womens attire on formal night?

On your Glory cruise, just under 10% [approximately] of the men will be in tuxes. On longer cruises...the percentage tends to rise. On shorter cruises...it usually falls. Women will wear anything from pantsuits/cocktail dresses/formal dresses.

Oh, on both CCL cruises listed in my "sig file", I plan to wear a tux/Dinner Jacket.

My DH in a tux??? Smokin' Hot! (No, really, he's a good lookin' guy). ;) But, he doesn't pack the whole get up (shoes, too) for one formal night (we have been on cruises where there are 2, but most of ours tend to have one).

It's funny, too what Smiling said... my DH doesn't want to get too dressed up when he dresses for work every day. I don't know... it's a guy thing, i guess.

But he always does look very nice for dinner, but as soon as it's over, he heads to the cabin and changes before we go out for the night!:)

Jackie

your boys will not look like idiots, some lines you see many children dressed in formal wear. You won't see as many on Carnival, but they won't look out of place either.

Yes, room service is free but the menus are pretty limited.

Phone cards are great idea, just make sure whatever you get they are international. We normally just give our room steward an extra tip, but the cards are nice as well.

Swimming with the dolphins is a wonderful experience but a little pricey. Go to the ports a call thread and you will get lots of ideas.

sounds like you are ready for a great vacation. Always ask questions; we all love to give answers: right one or wrong, we will be here. lol NMnita

I was curious to read the resposes to this thread. We'll be on our first carnival cruise in september with 5 prior cruises on HAL and princess. I own 2 tuxes just because most of the men onboard do wear them in my experience. Is carnival dressed down to where almost nobody wears a tux? What about the womens attire on formal night? So now Im wondering do I take a tux on my carnival trip? Something else to ponder I guess.

carnival is MUCH more dressed down than HAL. i'd estimate 10 - 15% wore tuxes.

If my kids had tuxes and the still fit, then definitely get another wear from them! You do not see alot of tuxes, but that is ok....they will look cute and not out of place. WHere else will you get any use from them??

I suspect you guys will have a ball!

That seals it! Tuxes it is :-) Chitown your boys are so handsome, they actually look just like my 2 nephews! What grat photos, I am showing them to my family now They lve them. My 5 year old is loving that HUGE shrimp on your sons plate:-)

Thanks for sharing :-)

Jackie

...we never had family photos taken and ended up spending $300.00 on the ship...

Oh Boy can I relate to that! LOL. The only pictures in my home of all 5 of us together are pictures that were taken on cruise ships by the ship's photographers.

I even made a joke to my friend a couple of months ago when she commented on our newest family portrait -- told her any photo you see of all of us together, was taken on a ship:p

Thanks....we got the boys their tux's on e-bay for $25 each......added new shoes and a shirt................to me the pictures are priceless....we never had family photos taken and ended up spending $300.00 on the ship. They enjoyed it for the evening and felt it was worth while.

We went the e-bay route for our boys as well, and they've worn tuxes on all but our first cruise. It does make for some nice photos, and they haven't looked out of place at all (although they are definitely in the minority).

I've been on 7 cruises, mostly carnival, which is a bit more dressed down from reading the boards. I've seen about 10% on each cruise in tuxes. But know that on formal night there (to me) is no such thing as over dressed, only UNDER dressed. Also know that a jacket and tie.. which is the norm still looks very nice as well. My Hubby's is formal double breasted black and his ties match my formal gowns... he draws the lines at tuxes!

You will be in the minority, but very snazzy in a tux.

Many kids are better dressed then some of the adults on formals

dolphins from my limited searching run over $100, the length and amount of contact with them is what seems to vary, as each one increases so does the price, but you seem to have a few options with each incounter.

WELCOME!

carol

That seals it! Tuxes it is :-) Chitown your boys are so handsome, they actually look just like my 2 nephews! What grat photos, I am showing them to my family now They lve them. My 5 year old is loving that HUGE shrimp on your sons plate:-)

Thanks for sharing :-)

Jackie

Good choice :) - I will be similarly dressed for that sailing! :D

Tom

Archived