Rules for Kids on Cruise

I am trying to make up a list of rules for my kids to follow on the cruise. They are 9 and 14 (I think the 19 year old will be able to control herself). I want to print them out so they can "study" them before we go. Would appreciate your help in making sure I am getting this right. We have never cruised before, so you probably know things we could encounter that we wouldn't on a different sort of vacation. From reading these boards I have come up with:

No Playing on the Elevators:)

Do not go in anyone else's cabin

Do not run on the ship

Do not push people

Be on your best behavior

Use your best manners/table manners

Do not charge things to Mommy and Daddy's credit card without permission

Make sure your parents know where you are at all times

Do not fall off the ship

Do not miss the ship

Anyone else???

The guilt/threat combo always works for me.

In this instance, I would probably say.

"Now, I want you to make Mommy proud and be on your best behavior EVER because I know you are a good kid and I want everyone on that ship to see what a great kid you are too.....and if you don't make me proud, this will be your last cruise."

Don't even attempt to go on the funnel deck :D

While playing in the pool, be aware of the other people in the pool

No running down the halls screaming

Stay away from the "adults only" pool and h-tub

Be CAREFUL on the pool deck especially around the slide (slippery)

Have a great time!!!! Sounds like you are preparing your kids ahead of time... good for you!!!!

No sliding down the bannisters in the stair wells. Yes, we know you are young and have great balance to be able to accomplish this but no, we really don't need to see it. Also, running down the stairs, three at the time, is not amusing either. :)

Liv - somehow I knew I'd find you here! lol

Wow. We're taking our 3 teenagers w/ us on our next cruise and I never though of making a list of rules... they know they are supposed to behave as well in public as they do at home, so I didn't think there would be a problem... but now that this subject has come up, I'll be sure to mention some of what I see posted here to them! Good idea, thanks for asking!

Kim, it's funny on a cruise... We were talking to people last year that said "Generally at home, our kids are so well behaved and have great manners, get them on a ship and they turn into children from hell"... I'm not sure how many parents experience that, but it seems to be alot from the sounds of it... some of those kids had absolutely no regard for anyone on the ship, not even their parents... and then there were the ones that were SO well mannered that they outshined the adults... I think laying ground rules is a great idea, it just helps to reinforce what the parents have (hopefully) already taught them....

If you are even considering a list like this ahead of time, it sounds like you are a very good parent and that your children are well behaved already.

Of course its always good to give them a reminder, its easy for kids to forget the rules a little when they are having fun on vacation and have this new fun place to explore.

I'm thinking that it may be more beneficial to have rules for the *parents* of these little darling spawn of satan.

*SPEWS COFFEE*...........

Goincruisin

Mine are just the opposite.

They are hellions when they are home, but when they are in school or at someelses house they are angels .

Parents tell me how polite and quite my stepson is , my daughter is a delight to have in class.

i guess I should count my blessings :) :) :)

Your kids will make tons of friends onboard. One rule that we had was dinner as a family was mandatory. No, they cant skip dinner to have pizza witht he friends. They had the friends all day. Two hours will not kill them...lol it worked and we had some mahvehlous times.

How bout trying a new food daily. We tried that also. Each night at dinner we ordered a new food for the table. Ordered one and passed it around. Found soups like strawbeery soup and pumpkin soups were awesome. But that pheasant was yucky.

I see you have NO going in any ones cabins. VERY IMPORTANT.

Your 9 year old will be able to sign themselves in and out of camp--do you want them to be able to do that--talk about your rules before you go.

I have experience with thirteen year olds on cruises. one thing they can't stand is someone having to know where they are at all times you cant get lost on a cruise ship as easily as everyone thinks. Just know when your kids are gonna be back. On a cruise ship you can give your kids a lot of freedom without worrying they can barley avoid you very long if your both out on the ship deck there bound to run into you. Have fun. :D

If you are even considering a list like this ahead of time, it sounds like you are a very good parent and that your children are well behaved already.

QUOTE]

Vicar,

I agree whole heartedly with what you said. Parents who have concerns about their kids behavior are usually the ones with the best kids!!

Bravo to you, soon2bcruising!!

I have the same problem Vicar has. My kids are very good at school, on vacation, and other places outside of the home. It's when they get home that they start trying to kill each other. It's like my little angels turns into hellions when they arrive at my doorstep. My husband says they get tired of being kind and polite all day and just want to come home and be themselves. I've asked them why they are so bad when they get home and they say they don't know why. I guess I should be glad that at least they are well behaved for others outside of the home and when we're on vacation.

I typed up a set of rules similar to the one soon2bcruising has. I shrunk it down and laminated it so each kid could have a copy with them. That way they can't say they forgot the rules. And if they do something that is against the rules, I take some of their spending money away from them. At least 6 to 8 months before the cruise my kids start doing odd jobs around the house to earn money to spend on the cruise. I just pay them a handful of change or a dollar or two depending on the job. But over the course of time they can have quite a bit of money to spend on their vacation. And I get a little help cleaning the house up. They usually have at least $30.00 earned to spend on their vacation. But there is a financial penalty if they go against the rules. If you hit them in the pocket book where it hurts, they will behave very well. They want that money for the arcade and to buy toys. It has always worked for me.

The only thing I really have a problem with is the running. They see that pool and just want to take off running. And that's the worst place of all to run. It is very slick on the upper deck near the pool. On our last cruise in January, it had rained a little, so the upper deck around the pool was especially slick. I saw a couple of people lose their footing and almost fall. Thank goodnes for my rules. If my kids had run across that slippery surface they could have really hurt themselves. Just be careful to warn your kids about how slippery it can be near the pool. Especially if there has been an afternoon shower.

What a great idea, and practical too. Laminating is great too. My kids are angels in public and on vacation, and not so nice at home. DH says it is because this is where we teach them and they have to test us. I am very happy it is not the other way around. I always say, we are raising them to go out in the world not stay at home, as long as their behavior is good out there, I can deal with the fights and tantrums at home. The last time my youngest acted up in a restraunt, she did not come with us for a while, we left her home with a sitter she doesn't like. It worked, she has been an angel ever since when we go out.

I'd add "no splashing sunbathers, or passer by's while in the pool." It never fails, I walk by a pool, even 30 feet away, some little kid soaks me. I hate wet shoes.

We are concerned about the dinning room, and have really been working on manners with them. I'd be a little embarased if one of my 3 decided they didn't care for something and spit it across the room or something.

Sounds like you are off, on your way, to a great cruise. Let us know how well the list works. Happy cruising, Theresa

I think by the ages of 9 and 14 your kids know not to run in hallways and slide down railings. I would refresh their memories of proper behavior in public before hand and add any rules they don't already know but not make a huge ordeal out of it. You seem like a very concerned parent so my guess is that your kids already know how to behave. Give them a little credit. Make it a discussion before leaving, "kids, how do you think you should behave on the cruise?" They will suprise you with what they know, and what they don't already know, you can then tell them. If, once on the cruise they get out of line then hand them a laminated list of rules as a reminder. Otherwise, let them enjoy their cruise - have a little confidence in your children. It is the children of the unconcerned parents that cause the most problems.

Something happens with teenagers when they meet other teens on ships....they form GANGS!!!

They have some sort of "gangradar" and they turn into something never seen at home!:eek:

They hang out in front of elevators, along the hallways, in the stairwells and conspire to trip up old people or terrorize children smaller than they!

They go to the Lido buffets and stick their fingers into the pudding or fill up ice cream cones and stick them into the cottage cheese bowls, or just leave them sitting on the tables to melt.

They waste food.

They find at least one of another in the gang who can get hold of cigarettes and they go to a mostly unvisited part of the ship and they smoke!...some of them find beer bottles that still have beer or drinks that still have booze in them and they drink it!:eek:

You think I'm kidding???:D

You can trust your child just about as much as you could have been trusted when you were 15 or 16 only now they do it at 13 and 14!:mad:

They do make friends onboard, but don't expect the kids they make friends with to be the way you expect your child to be.:)

I am trying to make up a list of rules for my kids to follow on the cruise. They are 9 and 14 (I think the 19 year old will be able to control herself). I want to print them out so they can "study" them before we go. Would appreciate your help in making sure I am getting this right. We have never cruised before, so you probably know things we could encounter that we wouldn't on a different sort of vacation. From reading these boards I have come up with:

Do not run on the ship

Do not push people

Be on your best behavior

Do not fall off the ship

Do not miss the ship

Anyone else???

DO NOT TAKE FOOD FROM THE BUFFET WITH YOUR BARE HANDS, USE THE TONGS!!!! BTW THIS GOES FOR MORE ADULTS THAN KIDS AS WELL.

THE SUBHEADING ON THIS IS ALSO, IF YOU PICK UP SOMETHING FROM THE BUFFET AND THEN DECIDE YOU DO NOT WANT IT, DO NOT PUT IT BACK!!!

Sounds like common sense, right? Well you'd be amazed at how many lack it.

BnB

Do not run on the ship

Do not push people

Be on your best behavior

Do not fall off the ship

Do not miss the ship

Anyone else???

Good start on the rules so far. The only thing I found odd on my last cruise was how many teenagers (particularly girls) were gallavanting around the ship with the opposite sex wearing nothing but their bikinis. I'm not just talking about on the lido deck and through the lido restaurants, but ALL OVER the ship. Somehow it seemed strangely inappropriate for them to be dressed like this in places where everyone else was clothed. Just a heads-up; never know what "gangs" you may run into. Oh, well--to each his own. Have a good cruise! :D

Archived