Dzul-Ha Beach...any updates since Wilma?

seasprite

Has anyone visited this beach recently? I'm wondering how the snorkeling is offshore. Someone posted that there had been quite a bit of damage and the only snorkeling recommended now is from a boat. Any input? Thanks!!

We were in Dzul Ha last week. We have been to Cozumel a few times before, but this was the first time to Dzul Ha, so I really can't compare it to how it was before. We thought the snorkeling was pretty decent.....better than we anticipated. We saw lots of fish, several different types. There were a couple of sandy areas that made it very easy to get in and out of the water without having to climb on rocks. We stayed there most of the day and there were constantly guided snorkeling tours stopping and going out for a look.

Thanks, Uncle Salty. It sounds like we should check it out. Have you done any of the ocean reef tours off a boat as well? If so, how do you think it compared with the offshore snorkeling? Could you swim out to where the snorkel boats were, or was it too far? I read on the boards that the reefs are in much better shape than the offshore areas after Wilma, and I want to make the most of our one day there....decisions, decisions! Thanks for helping.

The only time we did a snorkeling boat tour was about 15 years ago, so I really can't compare, but in general, I tend to prefer offshore. I did not talk to anyone on our ship who did a boat tour to snorkel. We have three kids (13, 10, and 7) so we felt offshore was a better option for us. The tours I mentioned were land tours that would come to the beach for a while to snorkel. We were concerned that there wouldn't be much to see after Wilma, but it was better than we expected. I hope this helps.

Dzul Ha is also where several 'boat' tours go to. On our last trip there, four boats pulled up with cruise passengers for snorkeling. They were only about 50 yards from the shore. Dzul Ha also has a small place to rent equipment, and a small bar, of course. Our teenage kids loved the place..............

Thanks Salty and John....one more question....what about getting back into to shore when the current causes you to "drift" downshore? Is it difficult to get back in, especially with all of the rocks? One of the posters who is traveling on our cruise with us says the current can be quite strong, depending on the day. In addition, he says the coral reefs further out are not as damaged and there is more to see since Wilma. But if the snorkeling boats are coming fairly close into shore, I prefer to go out on our own and be able to spend the day snorkeling on and off, rather than just for 45 min. or so. My main concern is getting back into shore, as I am no athlete! Whatdya think?

Thanks Salty and John....one more question....what about getting back into to shore when the current causes you to "drift" downshore? Is it difficult to get back in, especially with all of the rocks? One of the posters who is traveling on our cruise with us says the current can be quite strong, depending on the day. In addition, he says the coral reefs further out are not as damaged and there is more to see since Wilma. But if the snorkeling boats are coming fairly close into shore, I prefer to go out on our own and be able to spend the day snorkeling on and off, rather than just for 45 min. or so. My main concern is getting back into shore, as I am no athlete! Whatdya think?
The current will be parallel to the shore, so even if you do drift a ways, it won't be away from the shore. Actually, it can be fun to get into the water at Dzul Ha:

dzulha2.jpgdzulha3.jpg

Then drift down to the Fiesta Americana to exit the water.

My Dzul Ha photos were from December 2006, so it might look a little different now.

As bruce-r said, the current is parallel to the shore. On the day we were there it wasn't very strong and not a problem to negotiate, even for my 10 and 13 year old average swimmers. I agree that it's nice to be able to go off and on and make a day of it. The place looks pretty much the same as the photos, except it seems that the beach was rockier when we were there compared to the bottom photo. It says those photos were taken in Dec. 2006.....is that correct?

Archived