VISAS for OMAN (Salalah) & JORDAN (Aqaba)

newexperience

We are booked on Nautica- Hong Kong to Athens sailing 31st March 2007. I travel on a British Passport and my wife travels on an Australian passport. We are totally confused about obtaining visas for Jordan and Oman, the Consular Representatives for these 2 countries in Australia are instructing us to obtain the visas on arrival saying it is a simple and standard procedure.

Oceania Cruises say we should obtain ALL visas before embarking in HKK.

Has anyone had experience with obtaining visas in these countries particularly on arrival at a port? We seem to be in a catch 22 situation. We certainly don't want to miss out on shore excursions. We are told by the Embassies that there are agreements in place for Britain and Australia. Is Oceania's advice based on American passport holders?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Jan's advice is excellent as always.

I imagine you have already read the Australian government info at

http://www.smartraveller.gov.au/zw-cgi/view/Advice/Oman

You might also review the US State Department circular on Oman which has lots of good, general info and links. http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_991.html

Oman is a wonderful place where I was once fortunate enough to work for three years, including a year in Salalah. Salalah is quite distinct from the northern ports and I hope you take some time to read about this amazing little country before you arrive.

Hi Jan

We did this one last year you dont need a guide, take a cab from just outside the port do negotiate the price the first guy wanted almost double what we eventually paid to take us into town. Interesting and different shops had a good walk around and a super haircut which ended up with a facial a massage and more much to sues delight who sat there laughing at me , guess its a language prob but even so cost me only $10 including a tip.took a small tour with a taxi on the way back to the ship had a beer in a western hotel Hyatt?? i think the royal palace was quiet impressive.

New Ex we are brits, no probs regards passports in oman or Jordan we were told Jordan could be sorted quick when we docked but in reallity nothing was asked or done .

Regards

JimGib

Hi Jan

We did this one last year you dont need a guide, take a cab from just outside the port do negotiate the price the first guy wanted almost double what we eventually paid to take us into town. Interesting and different shops had a good walk around and a super haircut which ended up with a facial a massage and more much to sues delight who sat there laughing at me , guess its a language prob but even so cost me only $10 including a tip.took a small tour with a taxi on the way back to the ship had a beer in a western hotel Hyatt?? i think the royal palace was quiet impressive.

New Ex we are brits, no probs regards passports in oman or Jordan we were told Jordan could be sorted quick when we docked but in reallity nothing was asked or done .

Regards

JimGib

Thanks Jan for your advice we have checked with our travel agent who says do what the embassy says, the consular representitives say get them on arrival. Oceania are insisting that ALL visas should be obtained prior to embarkation; I have sent a very specific email to Oceania asking for the precise reasons for their request in regard to Jordan & Oman. We have found O to be very helpful in the past and I'm sure they will investigate and advise.

I think O's advice is of a general nature to protect them complaints from passengers who are not allowed ashore because of visa problems or they are not aware of situation for UK & Australian passport holders.

Kind regards Peter.

Newexperience,

Let us know how you get on as we are doing the same cruise as you next year and I was wondering about the different visas required.

Do you also need a special visa for Vietnam, India and Egypt or does the cruise line provide a standard visa for the whole ship like on some lines.

Jennie

I have sent a very specific email to Oceania asking for the precise reasons for their request in regard to Jordan & Oman. We have found O to be very helpful in the past and I'm sure they will investigate and advise..

NewExperience,

We are also on this cruise and UK Passport holders - wonder if we could compare notes on the Visa requirements?

My online research indicates that Visas will be required for Vietnam, India and Jordan whilst Oman and Egypt seem to suggest that their needs can be met on arrival. Of course the commercial visa services would like to sell you their services for everywhere.......

Just wondered what your experience has been.

There are two big western hotels on the edge of Salalah now, the Hilton and the Crowne Plaza. Their websites have some ideas of what to do.

http://www1.hilton.com/en_US/hi/hotel/SLLHIHI-Hilton-Salalah-Resort/index.do

http://www.ichotelsgroup.com/h/d/cp/1/en/hotel/sllss?irs=null&_requestid=49408

A few pictures can be found on the official Oman website

http://www.omantourism.gov.om/Topics/Attractions/Cities.htm#Salalah

The sidebar there, Castles & Forts, Archeological Sites, and Natural Wonders says it all, though it leaves out perhaps the most interesting element, the people of southern Oman. Omanis come from a number of different linguistic and cultural backgrounds, and many are multi-lingual.

Oman has about a thousand mile long coastline, and some of the most amazing snorkeling.

If memory serves me (I'm no geologist) Salalah is on the plain along the ocean. A few miles inland rises an escarpment

A better description and some great photos can be found at

http://www.squ.edu.om/lan/GuideToOmanSec2.html

How long are you scheduled to be in port, and what time of year? If I were to visit Salalah for just a few hours, I might go to the souk and put together a picnic, then head out to a beach or up to the Jebal depending on the time of year and the temperature. If only a very short time, hiring a cab for a tour about town might be a good choice, too.

Like much of the Middle East, attire is conservative, which also fits the climate. Anytime it is over about 92 degrees (your body surface temperature) you are better off with head covered, loose, long, long sleeved shirts and long pants. Otherwise you are gaining heat, even when you are standing still in the shade.

Thanks Jim,

I will take your advice and also have Stu get a haircut there..this should be fun..did anyone get a massage in any of the cities on this trip?

Anyone that is going on this cruise be sure and sign up on the roll call so we can all get together..I will send invitations to the Horizon Lounge when we are on the ship

Jan

• 4 weeks later...

For those who are interested here are some nice impressions of Oman from Rory Bremner (well known entertainer in the UK) - don't miss the slideshow with audio commentary.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/main.jhtml?xml=/travel/2007/02/10/nosplit/etoman110.xml&DCMP=EMC-tra_14022007

On the subject of Visas for Oman - from what I can see they are obtained quite simply on arrival, although if you already have a Dubai visa you are covered.

• 1 month later...

Hi all travelling on NAUTICA Hong Kong to Athens departing 31 March 2007.

I have just arranged with Decastro the possibility of a tour in Cairo similar to the Classical Cairo ship tour with private guide and van they can make up as many passengers as required final price depending on numbers but even for 2 pax it is cheaper than ship tour. If any one is interested they can contact me in stateroom 8010. Regards to all Peter.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi 'newexperience' - I hope you visit this board when you get back and that you had a wonderful time. My husband is also British and I am Australian. I would be very interested to know what happened in Oman in relation to visas because we are stopping there in November. Please do share??

Archived