Alcohol

suzettess

We're a bunch of drinkers and I'm concerned about the cost of drinks on board ship. (We are used to all-inclusives that include alcohol.) I noticed that cruise lines charge an extra 15% gratuity for drinks. Can we bring alcohol with us in suitcases? Any tips for saving money (aside from hopping on the wagon)? Are there any lines that include wine?

Suz

HI,

My husband and I went to Alaska last August on the Vision of the Seas. We bought a bunch of mini, one big bottle of wine and wrapped it up in our luggage. But, to be quite honest, we did not drink a ton of what we brought. We maybe made one drink and then headed out of the room and bought our other drinks at the bars.

We also bought a wine package when we boarded. With tip it came out to $130...that was for 5 bottles. We chose one at dinner and if we did not drink it all then it was brought back the next nite. We normally bought the drink of the day which i think is like $6 or so.....always got a martini b/c you got to keep the glass....they are quite nice martini glasses...with tip for those it was about $8...same thing with margaritas. We had our fair share of alcohol and our sail pass bill was about $750 for the whole week. That includes $100 worth of pictures and DVD....small things from the gift shop.

Drinks are waht you would pay at a nice bar.

Good luck!

Sandi

Not sure which line you're looking at but last May we were on Holland America in Alaska, and we brought wine on. In fact I think we brought five bottles in our suitcase, and nobody said a word (on HAL you are allowed to bring on wine without a fee).

As far as drinks being expensive, I wouldn't say they're outrageous, but they certainly add up. As sandi1967 said, they're about the prices you'd pay in a nice bar.

what ship/cruseline? the rules are different for each. on NCL they do NOT allow you to bring booze. you can bring wine but they have a corkage charge of $15 per bottle. they includes if you bring wine on from the port towns. if you bring booze on, or buy it at the ship's store or at port..they take it and give it back just before you disembark.

you can bring water/sodas onboard.

• 3 weeks later...

We are going to Alaska in June 2007. This will be our 4th cruise with Carnival. We have brought plenty of alcohol on every trip with no problem. Carnival allows you to bring wine, champagne, sodas, and water. Our last trip we brought 2 bottles of wine, 1 bottle of spiked egg nogg, and 6- 2 liters of coke. Also had a complimentary bottle of champagne waiting for us. As for beer or liquor. We brought 2 bottles of Captain Morgan Rum and 1 bottle of Bacardi Rum. We wrapped up the rum in ziplock bags and put in our checked luggage along with the sodas and water. We brought the wine and egg nogg in our carry-on luggage directly on the ship. We never had any problems and had much booze to drink and did not have to pay the ridiculous costs associated with having a drink. We had purchased drink coupons as well before we left so we also had those to go through but it was prepaid. Another tip, we brought along disposable cups and asked our room steward for plenty of ice and I had no problem walking around the ship with my own mixed drink. Good luck and enjoy your cruise. :)

Archived