Rum Point and Seven Mile Beach

drogers100

Having never been to GC before we are looking at various options and have read many posts concerning the above mentioned beaches. We (3 couples) are in port 9am-5pm and want to make the most of it. As of now I am leaning toward renting a car and driving to Rum Point I like to be adventurous within reason. Is this wasting too much time for a first time visit to GC? Would you just go to SMB to a place like Sea Grapes? There are 3 ships total in port the day we are there.

Also if you wanted to pick up souveniers (rum cake, obligitory shot glasses and magnets) would you do this before going to Rum Point or come back early? Will also have to pay a visit to Hard Rock as someone in our party collects the pins.

Thanks!

Just curious how you knew there would be 3 ships in port the same time as you? I'd love to check that for our trip. Also, I'll be watching to see what responses you get as we are in the same boat. 1st time to GC and not sure if we should do 7-mile, Rum Point, etc. We for sure want to do Stingray city though. Heard too many good things aobut it.

event.png

Rum point is beautiful but pretty out of the way. It would be a great trip for folks who don't want to do anything else in GC while in port but you'd have a hard time fitting in a lot of "extras" as well as getting there.

You could not visit Stingray City and Rum Point in the same 8 hours so you'd have to chose between the two.

The shopping ( and Hard Rock ) are just off the pier. Hard Rock is visable as soon as you step off the island so you won't have to budget too much time for that.

Grand Cayman is a beautiful island. I don't think you could go wrong here.

... you must be on the Jan 27th sailing of the Legend of the Seas(?). We are also on that cruise (3 couples also), and have been debating the same thing. As of now, our plan is to take a taxi up to Sea Grape and just hang out. Depending on what's going on, we may just start walking back leisurely, and see how far we get. Or we may not. Who knows?

Rum point is beautiful but pretty out of the way. You could not visit Stingray City and Rum Point in the same 8 hours so you'd have to chose between the two.

Nativeways offers a tour that includes snorkeling, stingray city and rum point. It takes a long time but they get you back in time for departure. Well worth it IMO. I'd like to do the same thing again but skip the stingrays.

Rum point is beautiful but pretty out of the way. You could not visit Stingray City and Rum Point in the same 8 hours so you'd have to chose between the two.

Nativeways offers a tour that includes snorkeling, stingray city and rum point. It takes a long time but they get you back in time for departure. Well worth it IMO. I'd like to do the same thing again but skip the stingrays.

I agree...they need to do an excursion that skips the stingrays.... just reefs and rum point is what i would want. Ending up renting a vehicle and going to rum point on our own.

yes, you can swim with the rays, snorkel the barrier reef, and go to rumpoint all in the same day by booking with nativeways. Their web is www.nativeways.com It is about a 4 hour tour and they get you back to the tender on time. This tour also includes lunch at rumpoint. The cost is $55 for adults and $45 for kids.

Archived