Drivers License as ID

Augcruise

Does anyone know if your Social Security number needs to be on your drivers license for it to be a valid ID either flying or on a cruise ship. In Ohio you have the option to have it on or off - I have recently been a victim of identity theft so I want it OFF!!! But someone told me that you can't get on a plane or cruise if the ss# isn't on the DL. Anyone know?

someone told me that you can't get on a plane or cruise if the ss# isn't on the DL
Pfffft.

TINs are *not* printed on Michigan licenses, doubtless other states as well. It is a non-issue.

We don't have the option for it to be on our license here, thank goodness. Why in the world would a state want you to put your SSN on your drivers license? Let's just open the flood gates for Identity theft... I sure hope that is not a trend... it's a bad, bad idea... but the answer is no, you do not need your SSN on your DL...

SOME states (4 that I know of) DO use a person's SSN as their DL number and have done so for many, many years. Our state NOW has begun asking (at renewal time) if the person would prefer having a different number. Well....yes! :rolleyes:

BTW, I've never heard of that stipulation for air or ship passage.

Does anyone know if your Social Security number needs to be on your drivers license for it to be a valid ID either flying or on a cruise ship. In Ohio you have the option to have it on or off - I have recently been a victim of identity theft so I want it OFF!!! But someone told me that you can't get on a plane or cruise if the ss# isn't on the DL. Anyone know?

Ok I need to chime in here. You didn't say when you were sailing but if you have time...GET A PASSPORT.

In VA we have the option of having the SSN or a random number as the DL number.

Tef I'm going to show my ignorance here, but what is a TIN?

Bottom line: Passport...Nuff said.

http://travel.state.gov/passport_services.html

New Jersey used to print SS#'s on the license but finally got the crayon out of their brain and stopped it. State records still use the SS# to verify identity for licenses, registrations etc. but keep them hidden in the system.

You should never have your SS# anywhere in your wallet or purse. If it is stolen, the thief and his friends will have a field day with your identity. Put your Social Security Card in a safe deposit box. You should have memorized it by now.

Jim

Ok I need to chime in here. You didn't say when you were sailing but if you have time...GET A PASSPORT.

In VA we have the option of having the SSN or a random number as the DL number.

I completely agree. I have had no trouble using my DL as ID without my SS# at airports and Carnival, but this year I decided to go ahead and get the passport. It just seems easier.

The more important document is your birth certificate when using in conjuction with your photo id (ie drivers license). Social sec # is irrelevant. In some states you can put just about any name you want on a DL so it is not used as valid proof of citizenship, only picture id...that's why they require a birth certificate. Get a passport...so much easier.

Archived