Hotel suggestion for Mobile?

cruisecrazy

Going on the Holiday in a few weeks and all the Downtown Hotels are booked because of the Senior Bowl. What would be the next most desirable area of Mobile for a pre cruise stay? We wont be getting into town til 7 or 8 pm Wed evening, so just want somthing clean. Also any good seafood restaurant suggestions?

when do you sail??? we booked the red roof inn on service road for 1 night precruise....for $45 a night!! thought this was very reasonable...and it lists several restaurants nearby...

we sail Feb 12th!!

good luck in finding a cheap hotel!! :)

Marsha

I went on the Holiday back in Oct. and we stayed on Dauphin Island the night before. It is a lil bit of a drive, but extremely easy to find, and there is only one motel on the entire island. It's called Gulf Breeze Motel. It was extremely nice. There are not many places to eat at all there, that was the only thing we didn't like, but there was this awsome seafood rest. we drove back out about 15 mins to get to it, and it was great!

Good Luck

Debbie

ps..Hi Dave!!! I'm gettin ready to go on another cruise!! I can't wait!!

My family is cruising from Mobile on 2/17. We need 4 rooms. Is there a relatively inexpensive place to spend the night pre-cruise and park for the duration of the cruise and shutte to the port?

It doesn't have to be anything fancy, just clean!

Thanks for any help!

Sharon

My family is cruising from Mobile on 2/17. We need 4 rooms. Is there a relatively inexpensive place to spend the night pre-cruise and park for the duration of the cruise and shutte to the port?

Thanks for any help!

Sharon

Sharon,

Some of the hotels on the I-65 corridor are inexpensive. Comfort Inn on Springdale Blvd will let you park but you would have to take a taxi to the pier. About 7 miles or so.

Dave

I looked the Comfort Inn up and did not see anything about free parking for a few days. :confused: The AAA rate I got will be $124 including taxes. It's a little more than my girls want to spend, but it does include breakfast. If the parking is included, that would balance out since the port parking is $60. I wonder how much the taxi would be? They also mentioned Mobile Bay Line. Is that a bus service or perhaps a shuttle to the port?

The Fairfield,Courtyard, Residence Inn (marriott) will let you leave your car there during the cruise with no shuttle. The taxi to the port is around $25...so it would be cheaper & convenient to park at the port. There is a Motel 6 that is fairly new off of I-10 near Tillman Corner that looked decent (the last time I was there about 4 years ago it was new) that might work for a night. I ti snot too out of the way, but we will probably stay on 65 at the Fairfield with Marriott points. (have one of the girls sign up for a Marriott credit card and get a free night's lodging!)

The Fairfield,Courtyard, Residence Inn (marriott) will let you leave your car there during the cruise with no shuttle. The taxi to the port is around $25...so it would be cheaper & convenient to park at the port. There is a Motel 6 that is fairly new off of I-10 near Tillman Corner that looked decent (the last time I was there about 4 years ago it was new) that might work for a night. I ti snot too out of the way, but we will probably stay on 65 at the Fairfield with Marriott points. (have one of the girls sign up for a Marriott credit card and get a free night's lodging!)
At first, I thought you made a mistake and meant to say cheaper at the hotel. Then I started thinking that the taxi would cost $25 to get back to the hotel (making it $50 round trip.) Plus, you would have to wait for a taxi to pick you up at the port!

Where is the Fairfield and other motels you mentioned? Forget about Motel 6. I know the girls would never stay there. LOL:rolleyes:

Isn't the parking garage attached directly to the terminal? Getting baggage out yourself shouldn't be too hard. That could save money in tips.

The Fairfield is on I-65 about 2-3 miles from the intersection of I-10. I've stayed there before and it was nice and in a good area (I think!) on the frontage road from the interstate.

I have not sailed on the Holiday before, but I've been to the Mobile area many times. I am planning on the Fairfield prior to our May Holiday cruise.

Thanks for any help!

Sharon

I go day b4 sail, stop by Admrl Semmes to get on shuttle list and pay $25 at the desk..I stay at HOJO west of port on Govt' St, and go bk to park , walk to lobby Adml Semmes Raddison for b'fast, an wait for my name to be called for shuttle. Shuttle is free both ways. Bon Voyage

I live on the Eastern Shore of Mobile Bay and can get to the cruise terminal in about 10 minutes from my house. If you're driving in, you might want to check out Daphne and Spanish Fort for hotel rooms. There are several right across the bay from Mobile on the first exit off of I-10 (Exit 35-A).

As for restaurants, the best seafood in town is found on the Causeway (Hwy. 90) between Mobile and Spanish Fort. Ed's Seafood Shed, Felix's Fish Camp, The Blue Gill, The Original Oyster House to name a few.

Here's a map link to the area:

http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?searchtype=address&country=US&addtohistory=&searchtab=home&formtype=address&popflag=0&latitude=&longitude=&name=&phone=&level=&cat=&address=&city=Spanish+Fort&state=AL&zipcode=

Hope this helps. Good luck and happy cruising!

Archived