Phone Calls?

jerseygirl45

Hello all,

I'm leaving on my first cruise next sunday. What would be the best way to contact my friends/family(just to check in),while on the boat. I'm going on the Imagination-Carnival leaving from Miami going to Grand Cayman and Ocho Rios. I have a verizon cell phone. Will the call go thru?

Thanks

Call Verizon and ask them if you can call from the ports. My cell has worked in some ports but not all.You may need an international phone service which they may be able to arrange. Calling from the ship is VERY expensive, $8 ++ a minute. Know if you get a calling card that usually must be for international calls. There are pay phones at all the ports. We never 'call home' on a cruise - give family info about our cruise and how to get in touch with us if necessary. (I have used my cell phone for business or to answer my voice mail.)

You could always email them from the ship just to let them know you are okay and all is well. Save the phone calls in case there is an emergency - and in that case then price isn't a worry.

As a side note though I have Cingular and my phone does work in those ports.

Sorry for stupid question. How do I email? How much will it cost?

It's not a stupid question, it gets asked about 4 times/week just on the RCL threads. It'd help if you'd tell us which line, I can speak semi-intelligently about RCL, and/or Verizon. From Verizon's web site, http://mobileoptions.vzw.com/international/roaming/rates/Mexico.html, it looks like they only offer cell phone service on Carnival ships at this point. RCL charges 50 cents/min for computer access or wi-fi charges, or you can buy packages that drop the charges to as low as 33 cents/min. Hope that helps.

carnival is 75 cents a minute with a 3.95 set up charge.

they do sell packages.

the phone in the cabin will be charged 6.99 a minute so be careful.

Carnival ships are set up for cell service but you will be charged for roaming at sea. sometimes it will be 2.99 a minute.

Archived