Concierge vs. butler - what's the difference?

etoile

I am normally an oceanview passenger - I'm happy with an obstructed view cabin as long as I get a little natural light. But in May I will be going to Alaska on the Pearl in a Cat. AF cabin, which is a mini-suite...we chose this because there will be three of us. I saw that concierge service is available in AF cabins, but apparently butler service is not. I just read Jana's great article on butlers, so now I'm wondering...what's the difference between a concierge and a butler? What does a concierge do for you? How many are there? Thanks in advance!

A concierge will make dinner reservations, spa appointments and bring you VIP tender tickets if necessary. A butler brings meals to your cabin and serves them, takes care of laundry and pressing needs, stocks your fridge, things like that. The concierge can be a handy perk while on board. Be sure and tip according to how much you use the service, though. :)

heelfan is right on...another way to look at it is the concierge provides you with special services on the ship and a butler provides you with special services in the cabin.

On NCL all mini-suites, penthouse suites and villa cabins get concierge service...all but mini-suites also have butler service as an option.

The ship will have one concierge.

Eric

Etoile, milles mercis for the kind words. I really, really appreciate that.

I've had a concierge three times on NCL and only used the services twice. It's a really nice perk, and they are almost all available and willing to jump in and help with whatever you need. Once the concierge changed a shore excursion for me (Spirit in Alaska) and once, on the Sun, I got a dinner reservation for a time that seemed impossible.

Enjoy your cruise on the Pearl, it is really a beautiful (and fun!) ship.

Jana

It is really a shame too because the Majesty being an older ship, it would give it a bit more OOmph if they did have butlers.

You know, we stayed in a Suite on the last Majesty cruise and we really didn't miss the Butler. We had a PH on the Sun so we had access on that cruise. As long as I can get room service, I'm fine. :)

Thanks everyone for the helpful answers! heelfan mentioned tipping according to how much I use the service. If we don't use the concierge at all, do we still need to leave a tip for them? I'm fine with doing so, I just wonder what the proper etiquette is.

I was under the impression that the concierge usually actively serves the Ab pax and higher. Less than an AB, the concierge is available for your needs on request. Many pax do not contact the concierge and never use the services. It is a personal choice. We enjoyed the AB and the concierge and butler on our last trip. Your cabin choice for Alaska is very good.

We have been spoiled rotten by the butlers. Our 1st cruise with a butler was when the Dawn 1st came out and we can never go back. Our Alaska cruise was especially great with a butler the day we sailed through the glaciers, he kept bringing us hot chocolate and snacks as we stood freezing on our balcony while mezmorized by the beauty of watching the icebergs go by!!!!

We have also used the butlers for a romantic dinner in our room(that was the cruise without children).

We tipped them really well at the end of the trip since every single one has been kind, hardworking and amazing!!!!!!!!

As for the concierge, they have all been pleasant, but some are not always easy to contact. They have made a few dinner reservation, but we mainly relied onthe butlers who are amazingly easy to get a hold of!!!!!

Archived