can 9yo sign themselves out after 10pm/special needs

Illinoisgal

I was hoping that they would not let a child out during the babysitting hours. we like to go to the late comedy show and gamble so I thought hopefully if they wouldnt stop him for signing out during normal hours that they would after hours. Emotionally he is more like 1.5-2 years younger that his age. He outwardly appears "normal" but has a processing delay as well as emotional/coping issues. He is 8 now but still is entertained by things a normal 8 year old wouldnt do. Give that boy lego's and he is content for hours! THanks

You can choose NOT to allow your child to sign him/herself out at ANY TIME.

My son had just turned 9 - by the third day, we all decided it was best if we get him at the end of the night.

As far as the After 10 - a parent MUST pick up the child. Your rate depends on how many hours you have the child in after hours babysitting - prorated by 15 minute increments.

For the Slumber Party - it is from 10pm to 3am - a counselor actually walks your child to his/her room! They do not let the child back to the room until a parent opens the door.

Hope that helps!

Catrin

My DD is 11, will be 12 in a few months:eek: She is fine if everything goes perfectly.

If she was allowed to sign herself out.. and someone said something which she thought was not right or something similar, she would leave. This happens quite a lot as she is unable to read body language, tone of voice or facial expressions. I have visions of her wandering the ship for hours looking for us till she finally has a meltdown. Not pretty let me tell ya!!:D We wouldn't be able to find her.. terribly stressfull for all!!

She's not happy that we're not going to allow her to sign herself out, I do think she understands the reason's why though. We will try and give her a little freedom when she not in the club and see how it goes. She is improving as she gets older and is able to reason better.

I understand it could make for problems during the shipwide scavenger hunt etc.. I'm hopeful we'll be able to find a workable solution. Maybe they will have the slide open during those times and she won't even be there.:)

Catrin- thanks I tought at one time I had read that they wouldnt enforce that rule, and would let the kids go if they wanted. Riley wont even know he can do it, he loves camp and it would never occur to him UNLESS he met a friend and the friend said hey lets go etc.

soocruise, sounds like your girl and my boy are two peas in a pod. He doesnt get body language, or literal jokes etc. they seem to have some of the same traits. Mine had a core meltdown today after school, but he hasnt had one in awhile so I knew it was coming. He also needs his space, and if too many kids get too close he tends to freak out. This past cruise we were "busy: during the hunt, as it just makes me too nervous :) I dont understand how some parents can let 9 year olds run around. I know my son is different and an only child, so maybe that makes a differance, but it would be so easy for him to not pay attention and space out and whoops fall under a rail , whatever,

Thanks to you both for easing my mind, I tought I would have to give up our cruising for a few years, but I guess not. IT is nice to have some autism free time(i do tip the camp staff who have always been so awesome very well too) . I dont mind having to go up to sign him in and out, I wouldnt relax otherwise so thanks !!!!

Archived