Where to buy snorkel mask/tube here in US?

Grits53

After using a rental mask and tube on our last snorkel excursion, my DH and I both came down with a nasty cold 3 days later. Since we both started getting symptoms at the same time, I am sure it came from those nasty snorkel mouth pieces. Before I sail again, I plan to have my own mask and tube! However, I am so new to this that I don't even know where to go to buy decent snorkel equipment. I am in Louisiana, but far away from the coast, where there are no dive shops. (Shreveport is the nearest city.) What type of store would have this equipment? Sports stores? Is there good brand or style for the novice snorkeller? Help! :confused:

PS - I don't want to buy the tube from the ship. I want a mask that fits properly and a tube that helps keep water out. THANKS!

If your concern is one that fits well, the only way to be sure is to try it on and test it. Most dive shops allow you to take it to a pool and test it out. They are also better out finding one that fits you properly. Unfortunately, they all are not the same. My wife and I are divers and snorkels and have gone through several masks. It is always a challenge finding the right one.

Double check to make sure their are no dive shops in your area. Although you are not on the coast, if their is a body of water around their will be a dive shop! We live about 3 hrs from the coast yet we have 3 dive shops within a 20 min. drive.

If not you can try Sports Authority or Dicks Sporting Goods. Their packaging usually allows you to take the mask and snorkel out to try them on.

Have a great trip,

Roger

I've never had a problem with a mask fitting. I can pretty much wear them all. DH on the other hand has a really hard time getting one to fit him. I guess it all depends. My set came from Costco a couple years back. DH went to the dive shop and got one that fit him good and was $$$...it broke on our second day in St. Lucia :(. Oh well...he's got to get it fixed before we leave in February.

Thanks for the suggestions! I do hope to find a place where I can try the mask on. Maybe there is a dive shop in Shreveport, because they do have a big lake there and also a river. I hadn't thought of that. Thanks!

When I went looking I tried the dive shops and decided to stick to Sam's Club. For what I paid at Sam's Club, even if the mask didn't fit right, the cost of the full set was less than for the same snorkel and fins at the dive shop. I decided it was worth the risk, even if I had to go to a dive shop to buy a mask. Neither my wife of I had any problems with the masks.

Grits53:

After visiting my sister in Benton, LA, I know there is a lovely Bass Pro shop in Shreveport. I'd call first to be sure there's a selection, but their online site listed a mask/snorkel combo for about $15. Nothing beats a well-fitting mask.:)

PHXscuba

"You can't have everything -- besides, where would you put it all?":D

Grits53:

After visiting my sister in Benton, LA, I know there is a lovely Bass Pro shop in Shreveport. I'd call first to be sure there's a selection, but their online site listed a mask/snorkel combo for about $15. Nothing beats a well-fitting mask.:)

PHXscuba

"You can't have everything -- besides, where would you put it all?":D

Yes, there is a huge Bass Pro shop in Bossier City. I will check with them. Thanks!

If you are concerned about fit, then a dive shop is you best bet, they let you try them on. Other stores will have the masks boxed in impenetrable plastic. If you are snorkeling and not diving, fit isn’t quite as important. Also, don’t spend a lot of money. I dive, and my cheap mask fits and works better than my more expensive one.

Especially don’t spend a lot on the snorkel. One with a simple purge valve will as far as you need to go. You can find them with covers and valves to keep water out, but these add bulk and weight. They are also unimportant in come seas and if you don’t drop below the surface for close-ups too often. Flexible extensions for the mouthpiece helps with comfort, but add to the cost in a higher proportion than they add to comfort.

We got ours at BJ's (similiar to Costco). Ours came with the mask, snorkel, and fins, all in a nice carryon bag.

We also noticed that LLBean sells them... and if anything is wrong with it for whatever reason... you can return it, or exchange it anytime.

Good luck. It is a good idea to have your own sets.

Archived