Small tour groups in Hawaii?

FANC6

Hi! I've been reading these boards for months and haven't found an answer for my question so I've decided to ask the experts.;) We'll be on the Infinity this November and are looking for private tour guides in the ports. Do these even exist in Hawaii? When I was in Europe this spring we booked private guides in all the ports and it was a wonderful way to see the area without taking the ship tours. We even shared with fellow CC'ers and that helped keep the cost down. I haven't read about anything like this being offered on the islands of Hawaii. We don't usually like to do the ship tours because they are too large and we feel like we're being herded around.:rolleyes: We aren't sure if we want to rent a car in all the ports because, honestly, we are on vacation and would rather leave the driving to someone else. Also, we like to have a local give us the "inside scoop" on where we are visiting.

Does anyone know of any private tour guides or companies that offer small tour groups(8 or less)? I would really appreciate any information from those who live there or have been on a small group tour. Thanks! Jean:)

On our first cruise to Hawaii about three years ago, I booked a wonderful private tour guide on Maui. Her name was Donna Bulgo. Her phone number was 808-879-6565. I found her on a website called Guides of Maui. When I booked, I didn't know who the guide was until we got to Maui. When we left, Donna gave us her card. We spent an entire day with her and saw many things you'd likely miss on a traditional tour through the ship.

We rented a car on the other islands so I don't have additional suggestions. I do have a cousin who lives on the Big Island and she was a wonderful tour guide when we went back to Hawaii for a land vacation. I'd be happy to ask her if she knows of any private guides in the Kona area where she lives.

Hope this helps a little. Hawaii is spectacular!

ENJOY

~Host Anne

Cruise Critic Hawaii Message Board Host

aygoyer@one.net

The private guide thing is not as big in the US as in Europe so it may be difficult to find somebody on each island. The best guide is usually a friend/relative that lives there usually in Hawaii. :) I'm not aware of many people that do it for profit. Hey, that's an idea for a new business! ;)

Spleen

Thanks everyone for the names and info for guides. I'll check them out and let you know what I find. The people on theses boards are so helpful-you're the BEST! We are really looking forward to seeing Hawaii and meeting the wonderful people! Jean:)

On the Big Island (Hawaii) Try Hawaii Forest and Trail - Rob Pacheco has been on the travel channel etc, see: http://www.hawaii-forest.com/

Also try the Kona Historical Society - very good walking tours etc in Kona, they are also able to hook you up with people to see the coffee tour etc

Have heard of (but never tried) Rent a Local on Maui

Kauai Outfitters on Kauai - near Poipu

Lanai City Service - to rent cars etc on Lanai

Molokai Mule Ride - http://www.muleride.com/ - you can fly over for the day from Maui (out of the Kapalua airport)

Roberts - does tours on Oahu for just about anything you'd want to see (even in Japanese)

Dig around on the internet and you wille be amazed at what is available!

Thanks again for all the great info. Now my problem is going to be deciding what to do!LOL The guides of Maui looks like a great idea for the day in Maui. You guys are the best!:D

I was going to recommend Rent a Local, but their domain is up for sale $470 - cant be good - there is some other website that lists info at: http://www.he.net/~hawaii/tours/maui/rentloc.htm

but I cant be sure the information is up to date. web page states that:

"Rate: $235.00 per day per vehicle. Limited Space.... so make your reservations early. After you make your reservation we will send you back the confirmation numbers for this adventure package. Make your Reservation early. Phone Reservation: 808-946-1001 our fax number is 808-955-3612 "

Call around - maybe do a search of yoiur own and see what you come up with using your favorite search engine

Archived