Buying a Digital camera in Hawaii

POHherewecome!

Well, I've checked CompUsa prices out and they are so such cheaper than what I've been quoted for the same cameras currently on sale here in Australia. I cant imagine that duty free would be that much cheaper so I am heading off to the Honolulu store on Monday, before we leave on the POH. Thank you so much. If there's a cheaper place to try first, hopely in the same vacinity or fairly near the Pier, please let me know!

OfficeMax and CompUSA are close to each other. On the same street and on the same side of the street. Walkable distance of the ship it is about a mile or so. OfficeMax also is on line so you can price compare before you go.

Been to several of those stores. The prices are very close,

if not the same as on the mainland. In our experience, the

prices at the big boxes (like Costco) in Hawaii are also the

same as on the mainland.

Yes, lots of other things are more expensive out here,

but common small items (electronics?) will be very similar in price.

We may not have the same selection, but I have found that

CompUSA in Honolulu, for instance, has a very good selection of

cameras, and offer in-store specials that you are unlikely

to see if you don't come in. In fact, they had more choices

on Oahu than we get here on Maui.

Hope this helps.

Don't wait to buy a camera in Hawaii. Buy one at a local store, and practice practice practice with it! You're not wasting film, just using up batteries, and if you have a rechargeable battery in the camera you're not wasting even that. Play with it - take lots of photos in different lighting conditions, indoor and outdoor. Get used to the controls!

Review your photos on the camera's screen. If they're dreadful just delete them there. If they're interesting, download them to your PC, wipe the memory clean, and start over.

The goal is to be so comfortable with the camera that when you're on your vacation it is a known object. Get so you can pick it up, confidently use the controls, know what white balance to use, what mode, and take pictures to cherish. You have a LOT more important things to do on a vacation than learn what all the pesky buttons on your new camera do!

Point and shoot capacity is remarkably good in most cameras nowadays. If you want more options, like full manual, you may pay more but with a little time you can take great photos with that.

Don't believe any of the guff about having photos developed in Hawaii because the machines there somehow "know the light." And if you run out of storage space, just have someone burn a CD of your pix.

Archived