Save Digital Pictures, No Computer Needed

bottomrung

I have just ran across a portable hard drive that allows you to save your digital vacation pictures and videos while at sea with no computer involved.

The Battery operated drive has multimedia slots you can plug your digital camera memory card directly into to download you pics or video onto the hard drive. When you get home plug your USB cable into it and the computer and download onto your computer. I ordered the 80 gig model @ $149.00. They range from 40 to 120gig. I haven't tried this out yet just ordered. Hope it does all it says. The guy told me they have been around for about 3 years, (where have I been?).

Its called the Wolverine FlashPac.

This is great!:D

www.wolverinedata.com

I have a different brand but the same basic portable storage principle.

The one I purchased is approximately 4 inches x 6 inches x 1 inch and has a 40 GB hard drive. It has built in ports that accept 9 different popular digital card formats. It has a software keyboard that you can type in album names. You can view your photo's individually or as a slide show. It also has other useful funtions.

So now with my digital camera I take from 100 to 500 photos per day. Rome and the Vatician was my largest number of 1 day photo's thus far with just a little over 500. Now what I do is say take a few shots of the same object from different angles and different zoom lengths. Than when I get home I down load my photo's from the portable hard drive into my desk top computer. With photo software I than edit an object's multiple shots down to the best shot and than deleting the rest.

Learnt the hard way to now "burn" CD or DVD of the raw thousands of photo's from a trip prior to my editing and deleting.

Carrying around that small portable 40GB hard drive is certainly a lot easier than lugging around a laptop computer.

I think you're proposing to rely completely on these devices. That is, download the cards to the drive, and then reuse the cards. I'd be concerned about reliability. I think flash memory is more reliable than hard drives. If you rely on a single storage medium, I'd prefer them. The best is to back up the cards to the storage device, and keep both. Here's a link to a story where someone relied on hard drive storage. Yikes! :eek:

I think you're proposing to rely completely on these devices. That is, download the cards to the drive, and then reuse the cards. I'd be concerned about reliability. I think flash memory is more reliable than hard drives. If you rely on a single storage medium, I'd prefer them. The best is to back up the cards to the storage device, and keep both. Here's a link to a story where someone relied on hard drive storage. Yikes! :eek:
There are only 2 kinds of people, those who have had a hard drive crash and those who are going to have one. Personally, I rely on my Macbook hard drive for photo storage while on a trip. I backup to multiple sources when I get home. If you want a first class photo storage option, consider the Epson P-3000. I has a high quality color screen so you can preview you photos. There are less expensive devices, but I don't think there are any nicer ones.

Once you put it on the Macbook, do you erase and reuse your memory cards?
Yes. I need to reuse the cards. The largest card I can use in my camera is a 1 gig and I can fill that on one dive trip. Why don't I just buy more cards, they are cheap enough. Because I'm already loading all the images onto the Macbook so I can start working on them. If I was really worried about a loss I could burn a DVD, but I'm not.

Archived