Is Costa Rica safe?

lyttleone1977

My family has booked a cruise that stops in Costa Rica. My mother has been doing some reading here on CC, and she has read some things that makes her nervous about some of the ports, but mostly this one. We are traveling with my parents and my children, 6 and 9. If I can find the thing that really concerened her I will mention it, but for now, does anyone think it is safe enough?

Lyttleone:

We were just there on 22 DEC 2006....granted, we were on a tour (with Charlie Soto of Okey Dokey Tours), but nothing I saw led me to believe that it was any less safe than just about any Caribbean or Mexican port. As always, common sense should prevail.

I would say be careful. A cruise passenger was recently mugged and shot in Limon. Apparently if you stay close to the port, it is okay, but don't venture too far away.

http://www.therecord.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=record/Layout/Article_Type1&c=Article&cid=1168642213273&call_pageid=1024322085509&col=1024322199564

We stopped in Puntarenas on our Panama Canal crossing and just LOVED it. Costa Rica was one of my favorite ports of call of all time. We didn't find it dangerous at all, and in fact, found the Ticos (that's what you call someone from Costa Rica) to be some of the nicest people we'd met. Perhaps it was one of the other ports where they've had problems? There are several ports in Costa Rica, and they're located on both sides of the canal.

• 2 weeks later...

I am a single woman living alone in Costa Rica, I moved here from the states. Costa Rica has some problems, but when compared to other counries, and especially the states, it is safer here. San Jose is probably the one area that has its "seedy places" but of course San Jose is the big city....most of Costa Rica is not a big city. You need to use common sense. Keep your pocketbook close to you, don't flash your money outwardly and just enjoy the area and the people. Someone said Ticos are the nicest people, and I have to agree. I have been here since May and thank goodness, nothing bad has happened to me!-Nothing!

We traveled to Costa Rica a few years ago; stayed in an all inclusive resort on the Pacific coast (don't remember the town). This was an amazing trip; everyone we came in contact with was just wonderful. We hired a driver from the resort to take us to the rain forest, Arinal volcano and Tabacon Springs (fabulous resort), white water rafting and canopy tour. We never had any problems and I would love to visit again. We will be on the Miracle in February '08 and this is one of our ports; I can't wait to see this beautiful country again.

• 2 weeks later...

Unofortunately, Limon is not the greatest part of CR, but there are many beautiful beaches within an hour or so south of the city. I would not wonder around Limon, it can be somewhat unsafe. I'd suggest taking a ship tour or hiring a driver to take you to one of the awesome beaches further south.

I understand your concern. My DH & I love to take our grandchildren with us traveling.... a wonderful experience, their ages are 7, 9, 11.

I tell them, use your judgement and good instincts. We tell them that some are not as fortunate as we are.......look, listen and please learn...we are all people just trying to make our way in the world...

Absolutely every city in the U.S. has an area where you would not venture to, be it day or night.

Please don't stop visiting other cultures because of posts....

Sorry about the preaching.......but I think we can pass on valuable lessons to our children by traveling

I understand your concern. My DH & I love to take our grandchildren with us traveling.... a wonderful experience' date=' their ages are 7, 9, 11.[/color']

I tell them, use your judgement and good instincts. We tell them that some are not as fortunate as we are.......look, listen and please learn...we are all people just trying to make our way in the world...

Absolutely every city in the U.S. has an area where you would not venture to, be it day or night.

Please don't stop visiting other cultures because of posts....

Sorry about the preaching.......but I think we can pass on valuable lessons to our children by traveling

Couldn't agree more! We spent a week in Costa Rica and found the locals all to be very friendly and welcoming. They survive on tourism and for the most part are happy to have you there. As others have said, just use some common sense. BTW people are mugged and shot everyday in most American cities.

Archived