Help with Mariner balconies / childrens facilities

Hi, I am new to the RCL boards. Recently cruised on Caribbean Princess (loved it and addicted) and now considering to try the newest voyager class - MOS. I have been looking into aft cabins and reading now on this board, but from the pictures that I have seen and the design on the back of these ships, I think I would prefer another balcony. Can you explain the curved (bump out) area on decks 6 and above? Are these desirable and totally private? Are the railings steel or plexi-glass? What is the average size on them? Or are the other ones off that bump better? I will be shopping for a double (balcony) and inside (triple) any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

My kids are 16, 10 and 3. I am especially concerned about the 3 year old. If you have any information on the adventure ocean program for them, it would be a great help. Is there a wading pool for that age?

One other thing..........from the Orlando airport, what is the least expensive way to get to the cruise terminal? TIA

The kids' programs are wonderful! However you should be aware there isn't much supervision for your 16 yr. old and some of the things that go on in their area are rather... well, undesirable in this parent's eyes. I have good kids but still didn't want them exposed to some of that. The young children's programs are very well done. Most of the children didn't want to leave. The staff is full of education majors, phys. ed., etc... They do a great job. Our friends had an aft balcony with their little one. No problems there at all - I cannot remember for sure, but I think it was plexiglass like covering and bars behind that. Her child could not climb it though nor could she get over it unless maybe she had used furniture, but the doors had a special lock on them that children couldn't reach. Size really depends on lacation. On our friend's aft balcony you could easily have fit 2 lounge chairs and othe sitting chairs. There is not a wading pool per se but there is an area of the pool that is "fenced" off and is a very shallow depth.

Hi,Iwas on he Mariner Jan. 2004 ,we had aft balcony 7388 it was huge . We really loved it if you want me to send you a picture give me your Email address If i ever go again i will try to get this balcony again or 7688. I wouldn't go on 6.I hope this helps.

Arleen

I also have pictures of the Mariner and aft cabin 7688 at clubphoto.com under rmsails@yahoo.com. I also posted the teens activities for the week.

As far as getting to Port Canaveral you can rent a car or try Art's Shuttle. Many here have used them without problems.

Picking up from the original post, how well run is the program for a 12 year old? Seems like the younger kids are always very well taken care of, but somewhere in the middle they get lax.

Arleen - I got the pics - thanks so much!

42travl - I'm wondering the same thing. I've read several posts about people saying their 12-14 year old wanted to go to the programs but there were never any kids there because it wasn't cool to go, or there weren't enough kids, or the staff didn't even show up for the activities since they are all "drop in" (ie come and go as you want, unlike the younger kids).

When we go on the Voyager 9 night in Sept, I'm really afraid there will be very few kids. Although on one hand this is nice, maybe not from my kids' perspective! I figure there should be at least a few in the 9-11 group, especially since I'll have 2 there. But am worried about my 12 year old having anything to do. I think I plan to have him go the first evening to try to meet kids, and the next (sea) day to the first few activities and if there's no one there, or it's just "hanging out" (as I've heard), I'll beg to get him in the 9-11 group with his brothers. I'm guessing/hoping there will be few enough kids that this won't be a problem.

I'll also guess that if you go over a holiday or summer, you wouldn't have as much as a problem since there would be a lot more kids and the odds would be they'd always have staff to run programs and the kids would be more likely to make friends from the large number of other kids.

When are you sailing? I'll let you know how ours goes!

Archived