Tell me about NCL Crown Bermuda cruise plz!

michalski1178

we are looking at booking the June 10 sailing out of Philadelphia. We have cruised before on the NCL Dawn and loved it!

I am aware the Crown is about half the size of the Dawn as well as older. So I am curious of the condition of the ship, do you happen to know if it has been renovated lately? Have you sailed on it in the past few months?

Likes, dislikes? Any of your experiences would really be appreciated!

Also what deck & type of stateroom would you suggest?

Also how is Bermuda? Worth the trip? We have done the Carribean and have always wanted to try Bermuda:-)

TIA!:D

You're making a great choice ! My boyfriend and I were on the crown to bermuda this past october. It was his first cruise and my third. I've been on the royal caribbeans explorer of the seas (huge ship) and also princess (grand) . I've been on two really big ships and then the crown. WE LOVED IT ! I guess he did too because my xmas gift was a return trip to bermuda on the crown for oct.07 !

We had a regular inside cabin and for us it was worth it. We sleep & shower and we're out for the day... We enjoyed bermuda alot. I've been to alot of the caribbean islands via cruise ship & plane and Bermuda (to me) was right up there with the gorgous beaches of St.Maarten. I found it to be the cleanest and friendliest of any caribbean island yet. We really didn't have any complaints on the ship or in bermuda itself.

We really enjoyed every meal we had, we mostly ate at the buffet and le bistro which by the way we're making 3 reservations for le bistro this upcoming trip. It was well worth the extra $.

The chocolate buffet was unbelievable, get in line early trust me. Well worth it.

We enjoyed the entertainment, we're not gamblers or drinkers but from what we saw everyone really was just enjoying themselves. Thats what its about right.

There was something for everyone, you don't have any of the bells and whistles that the larger , newer ships have but you have a small intimate ship that is so personal , phenominal staff and a very comfortable atmosphere. Pedro the cruise director ALWAYS had a smile and a hello for you even if you saw him 10 times a day. We still talk about our cruise on the crown. We now have something to look forward to again.

The beaches in bermuda are gorgous. Horseshoe bay beach was so picturesque- our favorite while there. Next time we'll explore others too but will go back to horseshoe for sure.

We didn't take advantage of the dine ashore program because we really enjoyed the food on the ship .

If you like shopping theres lots of it in bermuda. Transportation seemed like a breeze. We used the ferries a few times and the bus once. We did alot of walking/sightseeing on our own which was really nice. One day a man in a car stopped to see if we were ok, did we need directions ! How nice was that.

It's a beautiful, friendly island that we look forward to visiting again. I hope you feel the same when you return.

I took almost 300 pictures and still look at them..

Hope this helps you, any questions please feel free to ask. I love writing/talking about this great little ship to bermuda.

I just wrote a long answer to you and it got lost, here it goes again.

First... you will love this ship !

we (my boyfriend and I ) went on the crown to bermuda this past october out of NYC.

His first cruise, my third. I've been on two larger ships, rccl explorer of the seas and the princess grand.

I fell in love with the intimate feel of this small ship. It had character and warmth and a very intimate feel the gets lost in the larger ships.

Bermuda was gorgous, I rate it right up there with the gorgous beaches of St.Maarten! I've been to alot of caribbean islands via ship and plane and I have to say Bermuda is my new favorite. It's very clean , very friendly and I felt so safe there. While walking/sightseeing one day a man stopped us in his car and asked if we were ok, did we need directions? How nice was that.

We enjoyed the food on the ship alot, we did eat in le bistro ($ extra) and well worth it, we also ate in chopsticks which was good but not great.

My b/f (for my xmas gift) gave me a cruise back to bermuda for the same week in oct that we just took. I guess he really liked it to huh....

We're not drinkers or gamblers but we did go to the shows , the comedian was hysterical, a must see.

We went to the talent show and it was ok.... We just enjoyed ourselves no matter what /where we were.

We had a standard inside cabin and it was fine. We were out all day so we really just slept/showered in the room.

Do not miss the chocolate buffet.... It was so pretty to see and so delicious to eat.... Yummy !

I took about 300 pictures and still look at them, can't wait to go again. Lets see 9 more months to go.... Something to look forward to.

We're in our early 40's and really enjoyed everything from the time we stepped on the ship till we got off.

Hope this helps you... Let me know if you have any more questions.

The Crown to Bermuda sold me on cruising and I wish I could take that cruise once more before she is sold. I won't repeat what has already be said, but will add that you will really enjoy the opportunity to dock at St. George's, a beautiful town wehre the big ships cannot dock. The wonderful thing about Bermuda is that the ship is right in town so you can really go back and forth between the ship and shore all day if you want to. If you want to see a lot of the island I cannot recommend the local taxi drivers enough. In 2 of the 3 ports we just approached a random taxi and asked for a tour and it was well worth it. They are very proud of their island and give a wonderful and personalized tour. The entertainment we had was the best I have seen yet on NCL ships. We mostly ate at the main dining room and loved and also enjoyed Le Bistro. The crew is wonderful. The bar aft ship (can't remember the name) is wonderful, relaxing and a great place to spend a sea day afternoon. Enjoy!

The Crown to Bermuda sold me on cruising and I wish I could take that cruise once more before she is sold. I won't repeat what has already be said, but will add that you will really enjoy the opportunity to dock at St. George's, a beautiful town wehre the big ships cannot dock. The wonderful thing about Bermuda is that the ship is right in town so you can really go back and forth between the ship and shore all day if you want to. If you want to see a lot of the island I cannot recommend the local taxi drivers enough. In 2 of the 3 ports we just approached a random taxi and asked for a tour and it was well worth it. They are very proud of their island and give a wonderful and personalized tour. The entertainment we had was the best I have seen yet on NCL ships. We mostly ate at the main dining room and loved and also enjoyed Le Bistro. The crew is wonderful. The bar aft ship (can't remember the name) is wonderful, relaxing and a great place to spend a sea day afternoon. Enjoy!

forgot to mention this....

We docked at three ports. Hamilton, St.George and Kings Wharf (royal naval dockyard).

This year the crown will only dock at Hamilton and St.George.

I would say for you to ferry over the the dockyard as it has alot of history and is really beautiful. The most peaceful of the ports.

Hamilton is docked right on the main street so shopping is right there and plentiful. In St.George it is similar, shopping but not as much. Thats where we took a LONG walk sightseeing and found some beautiful beaches on our own. Tobaco bay being one of them.

Horseshoe bay is still our favorite.

Forget the Crown...its a nice ship but just a little too small. The Zenith is a little bigger and a far nicer ship. I have sailed both to Beruda and you will have a great time on either ship, it is a matter of personal taste. One good thing is that the Crown no longer will stop at the dockyard.

Forget the Crown...its a nice ship but just a little too small. The Zenith is a little bigger and a far nicer ship. I have sailed both to Beruda and you will have a great time on either ship, it is a matter of personal taste. One good thing is that the Crown no longer will stop at the dockyard.

NAH! The Crown is awesome!

She's my favorite ship, and I'm so sad to see her leave the NCL fleet. I'll be sailing on her one last time this spring out of New York. All I can say is, DO IT, DO IT, DO IT!

Reposting my trip report for you:

Crown to Bermuda 6/19 LOVED IT!!!!

The following is a very long and detailed review of the Crown and Bermuda. I will also be including tips and explanations which I hope will assist first time cruisers and those who've never been to Bermuda before.

This is my fourth cruise (my second with NCL). I will preface this by saying that I almost gave up on cruising after going on the Dawn last year. It was too big and too crowded for my taste. I do not believe "Bigger is Better," and much prefer the intimacy of a smaller ship like the Crown.

SUNDAY

Arrived at the NY Pier and found the Lattitudes desk. (You automatically become a lattitudes member after you have completed your first cruise). There was no line... just one person ahead of us. After we had our documents and passport examined, a credit card swiped (this is for all on-board purchases like drinks and gift shop items) and our pictures taken, we were sent to the table to pick up our ship card.

TIP: Bring MasterCard or Visa. Discover is not accepted in the Bahamas.

After having our picture taken by the photographer, we boarded the ship. A porter took our bags to our room and showed us our cabin. We were on the fifth deck with a large picture window.

There was plenty of closet and drawer space.. much more than you could ever use! I liked the fact that there were plenty of hangers-- including skirt hangers. No need to bring a hair dryer-- they're in the bathrooms.

I enjoyed the console which included four channels of music. It's even piped in to your bathroom so you can enjoy showering to Bach!

After unpacking, we set out to explore the ship. You can join up with a tour if you like, but we just ventured out on our own. Unlike the Dawn, I never got lost. The ship is so easy to get around. You won't find the bells and whistles of a larger ship, but the Crown had everything we needed and then some!

Every crew member we passed had a smile on their face, and each one was tripping over themselves trying to be friendly and helpful. These are people who truly enjoy their jobs, and it shows!

We had our first meal in the Seven Seas Restaurant. The ambiance is "early 1970's cruise-ship"-- which we got a kick out of. It was mirrored and kind of cheesy, but it added to the fun. The person I was with had special dietary needs-- she's allergic to wheat and flour and needed a gluten free diet. No sooner did she mention that, than gluten-free bread appeared on the table! One of the head waiters came over and told her that he would go through the next day's menus with her to pre-order gluten free meals. Wow, were we impressed!

The food was delicious! I never had a bad meal on board.

TIP: the menus are posted at the entrances to the restaurants. Look at them before you decide where to eat. We had one of our best meals in "The Yacht Club"-- which is the buffet!

Later that evening, we attended the Shore Excursion talk. Don't miss it! It will help you sort through all of your options. In the end, we decided to explore Bermuda on our own-- but next time, we'll take a few of the excursions.

Check out the tables in front of the gift shop each day. They usually have great specials. I bought three really pretty evening bags for $15 dollars a piece! They're only open when the ship is at sea.

The show was great. The dancers did the best they could, but I think appealed more towards the older crowd. Sharkbait was fabulous. These are two former clowns who met each other in the circus and came up with a comedy juggling act. What was funny is that we ran in to them on the beach later in the week. They were trying to play frisbee, but these expert jugglers couldn't catch the darned thing!

TIP: Be sure to arrive at least 15 minutes before show-time or you may find yourself standing in the back of the room. You can usually find seats to the extreme right of the theater near the stage.

We were bushed, so we went right to bed.

MONDAY:

All day at sea. It was pretty rocky, and a lot of people got seasick. Waves don't bother me, and I quite enjoyed the rocking and rolling.

TIP: If you get seasick, check out the over-the-counter medication Bonine. That's what the Navy uses. It's very effective, although it tends to make you sleepy.

We had breakfast in the restaurant. Once again.. yummy!

It was kind of grey and rainy out, so we didn't get much outdoor time... but there was plenty to do on the ship.

We went to the Lattitude's party at the Top of the Crown. It was very well done. Lots of nice door prizes, but... <sigh!> we didn't win anything.

I don't know why, but I love going to the Art Auction. The paintings are all pretty bad, but it's fun to watch the bidding frenzy. I also like to enter the free raffle, but once again, we haven't won yet!

That evening, they gave a talk on the islands. GO! It's very useful information to help you plan where to go and what to do. They give you information on taxis and buses (buses are the way to go.... you can either buy tokens or a three day pass).

Got all dressed up for formal night. Dinner, as usual, was fabulous.

We went to the gift shop and talked to the ladies at the counter and lost all track of time and missed the show. (It was the dancers again, so I wasn't heart broken). Be sure to talk to the crew-- it's a virtual United Nations, and you'll learn so much about their countries and culture.

We made it to the Stardust Lounge just in time for the Newlywed Game which was hilarious. Our cruise director Julie (how cliche is that!) was very, very funny.

TUESDAY: ST. GEORGES

TIP: Get up early to watch the ship sail in to St. Georges. This is not to be missed! The ship sqeezes through a tiny passageway, and you find yourself inhaling in an effort to help her get through without scraping her sides! The town crier is there firing a canon at you, and in full uniform, greeting you with "WELCOME TO BERMUDA!" Have your camera ready!

After breakfast, we wandered around St. George's (not much to see other than the really pretty architecture) and took a bus to Crystal Caves.

TIP: You need to buy tokens in advance. We got ours in a liquor store up the hill.

TIP: If you take the excursion, you'll only get to see one cave. Do it on your own-- less people, (there was only one other couple there when the guide took us down) AND you'll have the opportunity to tour BOTH caves. The FANTASY cave was even better than the Crystal Cave-- and that's the one that is NOT on the excursion.

We went back to the ship for lunch, and then got our snorkeling gear and headed for Tobacco Bay. It's a LONG walk up the hill-- about 20 minutes.. but you get to go by the unfinished church, which is worth a look and a photo opportunity. I think next time, I would take a taxi up, and walk back!

Tobacco Bay would have been nice, had it not been so crowded. The Majesty was in port with us, so there were wall-to-wall people. There was also some broken glass in the water, so be sure to wear aqua socks if you go there. I kind of wish we had gone to St. Catherine's instead.

The show featured Rodney Johnson. He was so funny, I was literally in pain from laughing. I have never enjoyed a comedian more, and I've been to comedy showcases in New York City. This guy is GOOD!

WEDNESDAY: Hamilton

Arm yourself with your credit card and CHARGE! We headed straight to Trimingham's. This is a British owned department store which is going out of business after more than 100 years. Everything was 50 percent off. I bought Baccarat candlesticks, 14K jewelry, and Burberry clothes and accessories. The store has Lenox, Lladro, Wedgewood, and Waterford, plus every type of perfume imaginable. You won't see bargains like this again!

I'm told by the locals that Trimingham's is saving up some of their best merchandise for their final blowout sale in July. Hmmmm... what a great excuse to go back on another cruise! (((adding this: Please note, I wrote this two years ago. Sadly, Triminghams is out of business)))

After lunch we took a bus to Horseshoe Bay beach. DO NOT MISS THIS BEACH! The sand is a beautiful pink, and the water a robins egg blue. Bring your camera and walk to the left to explore all of the rock formations and little coves.

TIP: walk up the hill in Hamilton to the bus depot to buy your tokens.

The show featured George Solomon. Being younger than the average cruiser on board, I didn't like him at all, although a lot of the older set did. I found his show to be very cheesy, and his dancing awful. But he put his heart and soul in to the show-- gotta give him credit for trying.

THURSDAY: KINGS WHARF

Spent the morning exploring the shops at the Clock Tower. Saw the glass blowing (a bit disappointing) and the ceramic shop (also disappointing.) Went to the Maritime Museum and saw the fort, etc. I was a little upset while watching the Dolphin Experience there. The pens are very small and quite cruel.

Get your snorkel and do not miss the new snorkel park. It is the best snorkeling I have done so far! You can rent snorkeling equipment there, as well as a plastic paddle boat. The park is clean with so many gorgeous fish.

TIP: Go early in the morning or after 3 in the afternoon to avoid the heat and the crowds.

The show was the Variety Special. We got to see Sharkbait, Rodney Johnson, the dancers and (ugh!) George Solomon again. It was an excellent show.

FRIDAY: KINGS WHARF and AT SEA

Got in one more snorkel trip to the park.

TIP: Grab a small box of cornflakes and a waterproof container, and feed the fish while you snorkel. You'll attract literally hundreds of fish! Bring your waterproof camera!

The Chocoholic Buffet: do not miss this, and bring your camera. Every kind of chocolate dessert imaginable. Yum, yum!

TIP: Begin lining up 20 to 30 minutes ahead of time, or you will have a REALLY, REALLY long wait to get in.

SATURDAY and SUNDAY: At sea, and disembarking

Overall impressions:

LOVED IT! The crew couldn't have been nicer or friendlier. Take the time to talk to them and get to know them.... everybody from the housekeeping staff to the waiters. They truly made the cruise feel like home. An interesting fact-- we were told that many of the crew have college degrees... so that woman serving you coffee could have an accounting degree back in her country.

The food was very good. I was never hungry... infact, that was a problem because the food was so good, that sometimes I wasn't hungry enough to sample everything! We didn't do any of the special restaurants. The Chopsticks restaurant was just a walled off part of the Buffet, and didn't have much of a menu. We didn't even look at the Italian restaurant, or Le Bistro-- I don't even know where they are! We were happy enough with the food at the Seven Seas and the Yacht Club. (Don't miss the Oriental Buffett at the Yacht Club!)

I appreciated the hand sanitizers at the restaurants. I sure wish ALL restaurants on land had them!

TIP: Eat early for dinner or you may end up waiting on a long line to get in. Best time is between 5:30 and 6:15. Also.. don't be shy about sharing a table... you meet more people that way!

Needs improvement (these are minor points) :

I didn't go near the Casino because of the smoke. I truly wish there was room walled off for the smokers, because us non-smokers couldn't gamble.

They need a new pastry chef. The desserts were pretty disappointing to a chocoholic like me. If you like tarts and rubbery mousse-- then you'll be happy... but I need my chocolate! One night I was so desparate, I begged the kid's counselor to let me have a brownie and chocolate chip cookie that the kids had for dinner! They really should have these for adults.

Icecream is available in the buffet, but there are no toppings available. On the Dawn, they always had butterscotch and chocolate syrup, and sprinkles. Nothing on the Crown, unless you ate at the sit-down restaurant.

Random comments:

The gym is large enough to get in your basic work out.

I didn't do the spa because I got Impetego (a nasty skin infection) from a facial when I was on the Dawn, and now am afraid of their spas.

If you're a lap swimmer like me, you won't use the pool-- it's too small. But, who cares, when you have the whole ocean!

People tended to dress better on the Crown than on the Dawn. Everyone looked nice for dinner at the Seven Seas restaurant.

The average age was 60's and 70's... although there were a lot of honeymooners and some young families. The kids and teen clubs, I'm told were excellent.

I'm younger and single-- but wasn't looking to meet anyone on this trip. If that's your goal, this isn't the ship for you.

I had a wonderful time, and would definately go back again!

Any questions? I'll be happy to help.

we are looking at booking the June 10 sailing out of Philadelphia. We have cruised before on the NCL Dawn and loved it!

I am aware the Crown is about half the size of the Dawn as well as older. So I am curious of the condition of the ship, do you happen to know if it has been renovated lately? Have you sailed on it in the past few months?

Likes, dislikes? Any of your experiences would really be appreciated!

Also what deck & type of stateroom would you suggest?

Also how is Bermuda? Worth the trip? We have done the Carribean and have always wanted to try Bermuda:-)

TIA!:D

Bermuda is more than beautiful...you will love it!

We like the Dawn which also does a Bermuda itinerary:)

We love both the Crown and Bermuda (our favorite port of call). We have sailed the Crown to Bermuda in the past and look forward to sailing her again in October. We deeply regret the Crown will be leaving NCL at the end of the year so there will be few small ships going to Bermuda that can dock in Hamilton and St. George. We much prefered the Crown to Celebrity's Zenith or Horizon which had no balcony cabins. Enjoy.

The Celebrity Zenith is leaving the fleet and will no longer be sailing to Bermuda. We sailed the Zenith to Bermuda last July and loved it. The new Celebrity Journey is replacing the Zenith but, being a smaller ship, the pricing is quite high. Every room gets a butler, many other amenities. Celebrity is going after an upscale market with the Journey.

We're considering booking the Crown to Bermuda for July 2007. We've been on six cruises (four w/Celebrity, two w/Princess). I wouldn't rule out a Bermuda cruise that only docks at King's Wharf, but docking at Hamilton and St. George is huge in my book...it's definitely the way to go.

I was surprised that NCL doesn't have pricing on its web site. I'm expecting to hear back from our TA today with pricing for the Crown next July.

Keep the Crown comments coming...many of us are interested. And I'd be interested in any comments on what to expect on NCL versus Celebrity/Princess.

Another huge plus about docking in Hamilton and St. George's, at least on the itinerary we had, we were able to go back to the ship for dinner and then go back to enjoy the evening festivals both towns had on different nights. Right outside teh ship, we enjoyed the most wonderful festival in St. George's where we learned about traditioal customs, including learnign how to Gombey dance - a highlight of our cruise. Having the town square at your doorstep, and having the ship stay in port all evening was a wonderful experience.

I agree Bermuda is a place where you should stay for more then one or two days, and only a few ships do that. I did not mind the Crown, because I love cruising but there were alot of newbies that were very disappointed in the Crown when we were on her. As long as you do not mind that the ship is small and not new - then you will be fine.

Hi everyone,

Thank you to all who posted great reviews. My family and I are planning to go on the Crown Oct. 7. We have never been on this ship, only the Dawn and Majesty. I too would like to know what other beaches there are beside Tobacco, seems a little to crowded for me. Since I have never been to Bermuda any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Hi everyone,

Thank you to all who posted great reviews. My family and I are planning to go on the Crown Oct. 7. We have never been on this ship, only the Dawn and Majesty. I too would like to know what other beaches there are beside Tobacco, seems a little to crowded for me. Since I have never been to Bermuda any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

My advice is to grab a taxi at the port and ask the driver to make a recommendation. We toured the island this way and it included a stop at a gorgeous beach wehre the driver waited for us to wade in the water (we hadn't planned on swimming so I didn't have my swimsuit - my biggest regret). The drivers know which beaches are crowded on any particular day. the beach we stopped at was near the airport, but I don't remember the name. I know the airport doesn't sound too appealing, but it was one of the nicest beaches I have ever been on and there were only a few other people on this huge beach. the restroom facilities were nice, the bar/restaurant was open, there just weren't any people. the driver said it is where the locals go so on the weekend or later in the day after school hours it would be more crowded. the drivers are so nice and accommodating. we took tours twice with different drivers on different days and both were wonderful. Just ask him before you get in what beach he recommends and what he will charge you to take you there. and if it is a really uncrowded beach, where there won't be more taxis, arrange for him to wait or come take you back. Bermuda is so safe and friendly, I think this is the way to go.

What other beaches are in St George beside Tobacco Bay? DH and I are going in September on the Crown.Great reviews here. Thank you.
I think the beach just past Tobacco is called St. Catherine's. It tends to be less crowded since most cruise passengers stop at Tobacco, both were walkign distance if you are a little ambitious and St. Catherine's comes after Tobacco. But see my other post about taking a taxi.

I too have been considering a Bermuda cruise. I like smaller ships, so that would be a plus for me. However, I want an honest assessment of how well freestyle dining works on the Crown. I would prefer a traditional dining ship if the freestyle is a hassle on the Crown.

Also, tell me about the outside and balcony cabins, the features, positives and detriments that you have found. What about public rooms---what did you like and dislike?

I have sailed an 11-night on the Dawn previously and she is a lovely ship, but it sounds like she is too large to dock in the smaller areas in Bermuda---is that correct?

Thanks for your candid responses to my questions!!

How does Freestyle dining work on the Crown? Fine! We had no problems at all. In fact, we found there were more lines on the Dawn then on the Crown.

With any Freestyle dining... you'll find you have no lines or a very small wait if you go earlier in the evening than later.

In another forum someone said they never got a hot meal on the Crown and that Freestyle should be called Free for all because it didn't work. They said after the first day all the restaurants were booked for the entire week and their only choice was the traditional restaurant.

I'd like to hear other opinions. Any truth to what that poster said?

We love both the Crown and Bermuda (our favorite port of call). We have sailed the Crown to Bermuda in the past and look forward to sailing her again in October. We deeply regret the Crown will be leaving NCL at the end of the year so there will be few small ships going to Bermuda that can dock in Hamilton and St. George. We much prefered the Crown to Celebrity's Zenith or Horizon which had no balcony cabins. Enjoy.

My TA said the Crown had no balconies either.

Did you have a balcony on the Crown???:confused:

The only balconies on the Crown are in the Owners Suites. Watch the prices as you cruise gets closer they tend to drop.

We had one.FANTASTIC

Never got a warm meal..thats a hard one to believe. The Crown was not designed for freestyle but the do a fine job serving meals....Some nights there could be a short wait for the dining rooms but there could be waits on any ship.

The best part of the Crown is that its a short walk to everything....:D

yes the only balconies are on the owner's suites. we are sailing in september on the crown for the fourth time. the food and the service are excellant.no whistles or bells.easy to get around ,docks right in hamilton and st.george.we are also bringing our son and his future wife for their honeymoon.

Archived