St. Kitts or Nevis?

dj4eyes

Our cruise in late October stops at St. Kitts and Nevis.

I'd pretty much decided on a $100/pp 6-hour catamaran excursion sponsored by Celebrity cruise line-- from Basseterre, a stop in a cliffside cove to snorkel, then on to Pinney's Beach on Nevis w/barbecue lunch (this tour would take up all of our time in this port).

However, now I'm reading on these boards about how interesting it is to just explore St. Kitts on land.

Is Pinney's Beach so amazing as to be worth it?

Is St. Kitts interesting enough on its own, at the expense of missing Nevis?

(How lucky to have such a dilemma!)

All thoughts and suggestions are very welcome...

Thanks much!

Our cruise in late October stops at St. Kitts and Nevis.

I'd pretty much decided on a $100/pp 6-hour catamaran excursion sponsored by Celebrity cruise line-- from Basseterre, a stop in a cliffside cove to snorkel, then on to Pinney's Beach on Nevis w/barbecue lunch (this tour would take up all of our time in this port).

However, now I'm reading on these boards about how interesting it is to just explore St. Kitts on land.

Is Pinney's Beach so amazing as to be worth it?

Is St. Kitts interesting enough on its own, at the expense of missing Nevis?

(How lucky to have such a dilemma!)

All thoughts and suggestions are very welcome...

Thanks much!

I believe that the first time visitor should visit St. Kitts first. There is so much to see it warrants special attention.

Please visit Brimstone Fortress, it alone is worth the trip. Carabelle Batik is also worth a visit if only to see the wonderful grounds. The beaches on the SE side of the island are quite wonderful (Frigate; Friar's; Banana and Cockleshell).

Nevis is a beautiful island with only about 10,000 residents.

Now, Pinney's Beach was their best, but recent hurricane lashings have greatly diminished it's appeal. You'll find good snorkeling at Newcastle Beach. Oualie Beach has the Oualie Beach Hotel and they'll mix you up a drink and provide water sports equipment. Most of all the other beaches on the island do not have changing facilities, however all are open to the public.

I think you'd enjoy your day at Nevis on the beach with lunch served, parts of it are still quite beautiful. However, I also believe you'd be short-changing yourselves by not seeing St. Kitts.

You can do them both if you want. There is a ferry that runs twice a day from St. Kitts to Nevis for around US$8/RT. It takes about 45 minutes there. There are also another one or two ferrys plus a Sea-taxi service for about US$25 one way.

Just give yourselves plenty of time and don't cut it too close as some of the ferrys are on 'island time'. :)

Which ever island you choose, I hope you have a wonderful time! :)

Archived