Westerdam - Eastern Caribbean - Time in Nassau

michaelark

I'm getting some confusing information regarding the amount of time we will have in Nassau. HAL's website states that we arrive at 7:00a and depart at noon. Several online TA's show 7:00a to 12:00a, which, to me, means 7:00a to midnight. Which is correct? I'm trying to make plans for the day, but 12 hours is a big difference!!

Thanks!

:)

[font=Comic Sans MS][color=blue]michaelark - we are also on that cruise.[/color][/font]
[font=Comic Sans MS][color=#0000ff][/color][/font]
[font=Comic Sans MS][color=#0000ff]The Westerdam will be in Nassau from 7 AM - Noon on a Monday. The information we got from our TA a couple of months ago confirms the above time.[/color][/font]
[font=Comic Sans MS][color=#0000ff][/color][/font]
:)

Thanks! I was hoping for the long day in port since it will be my first time there (actually first cruise and first time to Bahamas and Caribbean).

Have you been to Nassau before? I'm planning on doing the following - will I have time?

First, take taxi over to Atlantis. Try to get into the Dig free (before 9:00a) - Do a little exploring around Atlantis. Do you have any recommendations for what to see here?

At about 10:00, take a taxi back to Rawson Square and walk down Bay Street, stopping in the shops and Prince George Plaza.

Walk back to pier via Woodes Rogers Walk.

I was hoping to have the rest of the day for the beach, but looks like we'll have plenty beach time later in the cruise.

Am I missing anything by skipping out on the Queen's steps and other attractions in Nassau?

Do you know how long a surrey ride takes? costs? Would I have time to fit it in between Atlantis and Bay Street shopping?

Thanks!!

We're taking the same cruise but 2 weeks later on Jan 23rd. When I first looked at it there was another Sea day but they added Nassau later. We've been to Nassau once before and it was ok but not one of our favorite ports. We were there on a Sunday morning and it was raining so it was deserted (they said everyone was in church) and many of the tours were canceled (no snorkeling etc). We did a tour that drove thru the City and then went to a Pirate Museum. It was a pleasant way to spend the morning but that's about it. Not sure yet if we'll do anything this time or not.

On my last trip there, we also had a very short time. I wanted to do the Atlantis visit and planned to do it on our own. I got nervous about the short time after we docked and didn't go. We just walked around the town and then went back to the ship and spent the rest of the time at the pool. If you will take a HAL tour of Atlantis, you don't have to worry about the time because the ship will wait for a late HAL tour. If you miss the time on an independent tour, the ship will leave without you!
Have fun on your first cruise. I have a feeling it won't be your last!!!!
Dee

Thanks to everyone for your input. I think that I'll be able to fit in a little bit of Atlantis and little shopping at this port. I don't really want to see much of Atlantis, just the Dig and walk around a little. I don't think it's worth the "safety" of using HAL's excursions because I'll never be very far from the ship - I'll just have to watch my time.

Archived