Red, White or Blue teams

ebby870

When you get to the dining room the first night you will find out which "team" you are on. You do not have to participate in anything if you choose not to. All through the cruise they "award" points to a colour, the winner of the hairy chest contest, pool games, at shows they will tell you which colour is in the lead if you cheer the loudest you get points. Just different things it is fun. Our last cruise they had a lido party and asked everyone to dress up in thier "colour" the group with the most colour got extra points, they had a congo line and the longest line got more points. It is just some good ol' fun. We are going to make sure to bring something from each colour this cruise just incase LOL.

Most words ending in unstressed -our in Britain (e.g. colour, flavour, honour) end in -or in the U.S. (e.g. color, flavor, honor).

from

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_and_British_English_spelling_differences

I AM CANADIAN Eh :D

(Eh~~In case you were wondering, it usually means "don't you think?")

Zed: This is the proper way to pronounce the last letter of the alphabet.

http://www.cornerstoneword.com/misc/cdneng/cdneng.htm

General rules for Canadian spelling

The "rules" for Canadian spelling are not as cut and dried as you might think. There are some regional variations, and differences of opinion exist among editors. The government style guide says that editors should consult the Gage Canadian Dictionary and go with the word used first, an unsatisfactory solution compounded by the unsatisfactory nature of Gage. To get a better sense of what the norm is, in 1984 the Freelance Editors' Association of Canada (now called the Editors' Association of Canada) surveyed publishers, academics, PR people, editors and writers about their spelling preferences. Here's what FEAC found out.

COLOUR OR COLOR? Three quarters of the respondents preferred -our endings.

CENTRE OR CENTER? Eighty-nine per cent went with traditional -re endings such as centre and theatre .

CIGARETTE OR CIGARET? A similar proportion as above preferred cauldron to caldron and preferred the long forms of axe, catalogue, cigarette, moustache and omelette, but program won out over programme.

DEFENCE OR DEFENSE? Four fifths of the sample preferred -ce over -se in nouns such as defence, practice and pretence, but let -se stand when such words were used as verbs, such as to practise the piano lesson.

AESTHETIC OR ESTHETIC? Three quarters used the diphthong (ae or oe) in such words as aesthetic, archaeology and manoeuvre, but those polled split on medieval.

ORGANIZE OR ORGANISE? Canadian editors rejected the British -ise endings, such as organise, preferring -ize endings. (This page, in fact, was born when several of our clients ran our work through MS Word spellers, and then complained about "spelling mistakes" like organization.)

CHEQUE OR CHECK? Many homonyms are given different spellings to convey different meanings, including mould/mold, cheque/check and racquet/racket. A cheque, for example, is something you use to pay for a dipstick, which you can use to check your oil.

ENROLL OR ENROL? Majorities of up to 90 per cent liked the double L in such words as enroll, fulfill, install, marvelled, marvellous, signalled, skillful, traveller and woollen.

This brings us to a quirk of Canadian spelling, in that we have our own way of doubling letters before adding suffixes. If a word ends in a single vowel followed by a single consonant, that consonant is usually doubled for most suffixes. "I am biased since I helped myself to local cuisine while travelling in Greece." This rule is a little different from the American rule, which forbids the consonant doubling unless the word has one syllable, or stresses the last syllable.

Here are a few spelling distinctions that FEAC didn't look into.

ADVISER OR ADVISOR? We'd go with advisor.

COMPLEAT OR COMPLETE? Canadian spelling is complete. Use of compleat tends to be reserved for affectation.

CO-ORDINATE OR COORDINATE? Canadians like hyphens after co. Co-ordinate how you co-operate. The government style often differs, however.

GRAY OR GREY? Canadian spelling is grey.

On our last cruise, I won a bingo game and they asked me which team??? LOL

I had no idea, so I just picked blue because it's my favorite color.

I still have no idea what color team we were :)

mary

This 'red/white/blue' team stuff is something somebody who had more time than sense thought up.:D As much as I can, I ignore it...just as I ignore the pool games. Games aren't for everyone. For those who do, party on.:)

i agree w. most of the posters here. don't even remember what colors we were on which cruises, b/c to me, this is one of the silliest things the maitre' d does w/ his time.

it is, as another poster put it, very annoying and irritating after a while (like after day 1 ;) ).

I agree with Cotten. It's about the stupidist thing Carnival has come up with. And you know what you get if your team wins????

Nothing.

They could make it interesting and give you $20 OBC or a certificate for some small amount off your next cruise. Anything would make it more interesting. We pretty much just ignore it also (which is easier said than done since they bring it up a million times in a week.)

I agree with Cotten. It's about the stupidist thing Carnival has come up with. And you know what you get if your team wins????

Nothing.

They could make it interesting and give you $20 OBC or a certificate for some small amount off your next cruise. Anything would make it more interesting. We pretty much just ignore it also (which is easier said than done since they bring it up a million times in a week.)

Talked to a CD and he said that this and the dancing waiters are the 2 things that are mentioned most on comment cards. Both are a big hit with the vast majority of cruisers. I have never gotten into it, but it appears most love it.

I personally don't care for the "Red, White, and Blue" team thing. I don't mind if they keep it out by the pool where it belongs, but it really gets on my nerves in the dining room. Singing and dancing waiters I can take or leave - Carnival has always done it and probably always will.

We (my husband and I) were on the white team last July on the Triumph. Being the competitive sort, we thought it was kind of cool, even though (as another poster pointed out) you win absolutely nothing. You do have to go to the dining room on the first night to find out which team you're on.

I agree that the winning team should get SOMETHING. It would surely make it more competitive and interesting. It wouldn't have to be something valuable....just some kind of memento of having been on a winning team. But then I guess the non-winning teams wouldn't like that. :rolleyes:

I agree that the winning team should get SOMETHING. It would surely make it more competitive and interesting. It wouldn't have to be something valuable....just some kind of memento of having been on a winning team. But then I guess the non-winning teams wouldn't like that. :rolleyes:

We won a free meal

Derfette and I look forward the the goings on.

Look for a bow around your flowers.

That will tell you what color your team is.

On smaller ships like the Celebration..they only had two teams (red and blue)

Larger ships will have Red, White and Blue (sorry to all you non-US citizens)....(hope you Canadians noticed I did NOT say non-Americans...)

And here in the US south, Colour would be pronouced...

Co-lour (like our)...and that would get you looked at real funny!!

Look for a bow around your flowers.

That will tell you what color your team is.

On smaller ships like the Celebration..they only had two teams (red and blue)

Larger ships will have Red, White and Blue (sorry to all you non-US citizens)....(hope you Canadians noticed I did NOT say non-Americans...)

And here in the US south, Colour would be pronouced...

Co-lour (like our)...and that would get you looked at real funny!!

red on Holiday is even #'d side tables..Blue, odd #'d..Red is on port, etc

Well we didn't go to the main dining room the first night b/c although my husband and daughter's luggage came by 5:30 and our seating was for 5:45 I was wearing jeans and a t-shirt with a big coffee stain on it so as my daughter was in the pool with my husband I sat in the room in a bathrobe til 8pm when they finally brought my luggage and we had to eat at the buffet, which by that time really didn't have much to offer so with that said...at that point I could care less about colors!!! I didn't even know about them til about the 3rd day on the ship when we were at the pool and they kept talking about it. We never knew what team we were on either and thought that maybe we would win something if we found out our color and they won, which we did, and they did, but after all of that work...we got nothing so I was a little annoyed with that being that I would have had a little more insight from the beginning had I not been in stinky clothes locked in a room til 8pm the first night...as you can see that was not the hilight of my cruise and the color thing just reminded me of it constantly...

Archived