Cell phones on Pride of Aloha?

JSaunders

I have been on a cruise (RCCL) that had Cingular at Sea (at the $2.49/min rate) which was international roaming and ranked up a hefty bill. I hope to avoid that on the NCL Pride of Aloha cruise in Hawaii that I have scheduled in April, does anyone know if cell phones work on board? I have Cingular service here in the US. I checked the Cingular website, saw many ships listed, but none of the Pride ships in Hawaii. I have not seen anything on the NCL site... When the ships are docked, has anyone gotten reception? When at sea, has anyone gotten reception?

I have no idea if cell phones wouldd work on a ship while at sea IN the Hawaiin Islands. But I would think that a cell phone WOULD work while in port. After all, you will be in the USA and I'm sure that Hawaiins have cell phones. Maybe even if the ship is just a few miles off shore, the phones may also work. Call NCL and ask them. ;)

I forgot about that, yeah the Pride of Aloha will spend one day a month on fanning island, and they don't have cell phone service there.

They do have coconut halves they slam together for signaling.

The new models have one set of coconut halves connected to another set by a long string, to improve reception.

Why use it on board? You're in port all day almost every day. I used Cingular in port while on the Pride and it was just minutes used from my plan. No extra charges.

If it works on board and the service is just minutes on my plan, I can use it to track down my DH, who, not matter how small the ship, is prone to wandering off! I'm sure he views it as a feature! LOL

Archived